Replies

• MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    According to scooby

BMR 1541
    TDEE 2388
    Daily calories for a 20% calorie reduction - 1910

If your TDEE is 2388, than your cut amount is 2029.80. So you are still eating too few calories.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    According to scooby

BMR 1541
    TDEE 2388
    Daily calories for a 20% calorie reduction - 1910

You may also want to try a 10 or 15% cut if you are close to goal weight. You need to EAT 1910 every day. Don't worry about your net so much unless you consistently drop below BMR. If that happens then you should take a closer look at what you determined for your activity level--it may not be high enough and you need to eat more calories.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Do it for your life... not for the last 10 pounds..
    that sums it beautifully up
  • stephbo4
    stephbo4 Posts: 26
    Options
    I want to be 10 pounds lighter for my LIFE, That's the whole point of me asking this. I am NOT HAPPY being this heavy. Not at all. I WANT and NEED this last 10 pounds. Sorry if you don't understand that, but that's how I feel.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I want to be 10 pounds lighter for my LIFE, That's the whole point of me asking this. I am NOT HAPPY being this heavy. Not at all. I WANT and NEED this last 10 pounds. Sorry if you don't understand that, but that's how I feel.

You are the only one that sees the scale. EVERYONE else sees the inches and how your clothes fit. Consider other fitness goals as well while you are working on the last 10 lbs. Know that the last 10 are the most stubborn. I too am on the last 10 lbs. I've lost 6 lbs in 3 months and this month I don't think I'll be losing anything.

However, I'm now fitting back into my size 8 clothes (goal size). And I can do 5 standard push-ups (goal is 12). And I can bench 75 lbs (goal is 130). And I can almost run for an entire 3 miles without any walking (my running goal). And I'm down to 26% bodyfat from 33% (goal is 23%). I guess what I'm saying is that the last 10 lb has become less important because I'm meeting all of my other goals.

The scale is a lying liar anyhow.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    When you were 8 lbs lighter you were just living depleted. Our bodies can easily store 8 lbs in glycogen and water... when we're on a diet we just deplete those stores and force our bodies to work without that safety and fuel. What you want is to be your goal weight WITH all your muscles rightly fueled.

If you're netting 1600-1800 I think you're on the right track. Give it more time. You've gone from low calorie to a cut without a reset. it may take a long time for your body to recognize that you're not going to starve it.

I'm doing extremely well with EM2WL since I wasn't on a low calorie diet before doing it... at least not really and not for long. I was half-heartedly doing weight watchers from January-April and lost 14 lbs but recognized that I wasn't eating enough so I'd give myself cheat days. As soon as I came to MFP I started netting over my BMR (about 1600) and the weight slid right off me! (8.5 lbs in 5 weeks)

For the last 2 weeks I went up to eating at maintenance (net 2000) to prepare for a running race. In those 2 weeks I gained a full 5 lbs of glycogen and water. I started my cut yesterday (race was Sunday) and am down 2 of those lbs already as of this morning. All I'm doing, though, is depleting those reserves.

In the end, we want to get to our goal weight with a healthy, fueled body that can take on any challenge it comes across, right? Keep going... you're doing a good thing.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options

The closer you get to goal the harder it's going to be to tweak those numbers usually and find that sweet spot because you have smaller parameters for error. It's going to take patience and trial and error. If you try to rush the process with large deficits etc, you will only gain it back once you start eating normally again.

So, that being said, I really encourage you to stick to a 10 - 15% deficit. Work on those last few pounds very, very slowly.
    If you find that at 6 - 8 weeks, you are either still gaining or have stabilized but not losing weight or inches, then it's possible you need a reset to get past your plateau. If you have been yo-yo dieting or vlcd'ing for any length of time, this is usually something that needed. Or, at the very least, you may need to take a diet break for at least 2 - 4 weeks. (this is like a mini-reset, but if it doesn't work then you end up having to do a reset anyways, delaying cut losses). Diet breaks work great once you have your metabolism repaired and working at efficiency after a reset or if you are new to the diet world.

8 lbs is actually pretty normal. I am currently up 6 lbs (9 right now due to TOM). I gained 4 during the first 7 weeks of eating more but when I realized that I was stabilizing at 15% deficit, I began a full reset and my weight went up 1-2 pounds more. I'm in my 4th week of reset now and plan to cut at the end of 8 weeks.

This method is not a quick fix, easy method. It usually incorporates weight gain, tears, frustration, bloating, feelings of being overful, panic, etc at first. All normal reactions. The 8 lbs will come off. Right now you are trying to help your body understand that there is an abundant food source so that it'll stop trying to store it's own food supply. This requires patience and determination to stick with it.

If you want to lose those 10 lbs for LIFE, then you'll need to ask yourself if you are willing to do this the slow, healthy way. If you go for the quick fix, they'll just come back. A gain at first to lose it all for LIFE is a fair trade off in my opinion, but you need to dig down deep and prepare yourself to be patient.

We are all here to help you when you get frustrated and feel like you just can't keep doing it. We're here to help you tweak those numbers and get you where you want to be.

And, like the other poster said, the scale isn't really the best advocate for our fat loss goals. Use your tape measure and clothes to determine how you want to look. We have testimonies of people who lost very few pounds once they started lifting and eating more but lost a LOT of inches and clothing sizes. :smile:
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

Don't worry, you are NOT going to stay this way! :flowerforyou:

Using the EM2WL system requires a person to stay off the scale for a period of time~ usually 6-8 weeks. The way I look at it is that this period is how long your body needs to "Heal". Patience with the process is a MUST!

Your weight will usually go up for however long your body needs to adjust to getting fed properly~ again, at least 6-8 weeks, we are all unique.

At a certain time determined BY YOUR BODY and not any other time schedule, you will level out and if you are eating below your TDEE, you WILL begin to lose again.

You are in week 3 if I recall correctly and in no way is that long enough for any of the goals of Eating More to be reached in your body.

PLEASE stay with this. STAY OFF THE SCALE~ I did for 8 weeks and broke a 40 year addiction!! :blushing:

I want this for everyone here and you, too!:heart::flowerforyou:
  • stephbo4
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary. I opened it for everyone to see. I am open to suggestions. I have logged consistently, except for this last weekend, I was camping and had no phone service, but I ate well and hiked a lot! :)
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary. I opened it for everyone to see. I am open to suggestions. I have logged consistently, except for this last weekend, I was camping and had no phone service, but I ate well and hiked a lot! :)

I noticed that you've consistently went over in sodium. Sodium basically equates to water. So if you are eating that much sodium every day or almost every day, you will weigh more due to added water weight? Do you take measurements? Try to measure over the course of a month and see if you measurements are changing and try not to focus so much on the scale.
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I know its hard not to look at the scale, but honestly, put it away for a few weeks and allow your mind to change before your body can.

omg, genius way to put it! you're mind HAS to let go of the power it gives those numbers...easier said than done, i know! I had to go as far as resetting my ticker to zero and giving my scale away. life is good.
  • stephaniepullen
    stephaniepullen Posts: 22 Member
    Options

You are the only one that sees the scale. EVERYONE else sees the inches and how your clothes fit.

^^^^^^^Love this!! I needed to read that.
  • stephbo4
    Options
    I'm only over on sodium because I have it set at 1500 rather than the MFP 2500.
  • bettyzing
    bettyzing Posts: 48
    Options
    I have been eating this way for a month and gained 2 kg..... I felt like giving up too but am going to give it another month to see if its just my body adapting....

I have lost no inches and feel bigger than ever! But....... hang in there according to all accounts this can take a while..
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I am 8 weeks in and now that i look back it have flown by but i know that in the middle of the process it feels like it takes ages. hang in there ... these guys will set you right!
  • KCMinn
    KCMinn Posts: 20
    Options
    I am 8 weeks in and now that i look back it have flown by but i know that in the middle of the process it feels like it takes ages. hang in there ... these guys will set you right!

Have you seen any positive results in that 8 weeks? Looking for some positive encouragement to keep pushing thru.... :)