Can I get a little clarification on something please?

Ok. After my recent post regarding TDEE/BMR, I know what I need to be at calorie wise per day. I feel like perhaps I'm not properly understanding what I should be NETTING though. I see lots of people who are eating high calories (but with BIG exercise burns) that are consistently at 1000 or under NET per day (even as low as 300). I thought that you should never (or very rarely...I get that sometimes we don't feel well etc) go below 1200 calories for the day. Am I incorrect on this? I just want to make sure I totally understand what I'm doing before I bump my daily intake up! I won't have any huge burns until I get back in to distance running but I'd like to be sure of how I handle those days when I get back to it. Thanks guys !

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    I think because your TDEE includes exercise, you should NET your TDEE (reduced by 20% if you are trying to lose) then you don't log exercise. does that make sense?
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    I think because your TDEE includes exercise, you should NET your TDEE (reduced by 20% if you are trying to lose) then you don't log exercise. does that make sense?

No, you don't NET your TDEE cut. You EAT your TDEE cut. Pay attention to netting below BMR. If you are netting below your BMR you may not have selected a high enough activity level or your cut is too high for the weight you have to lose. Either way you need to adjust your calorie intake.
  • amysj303
    right, ladyace, thanks for clarifying!
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member

No, you don't NET your TDEE cut. You EAT your TDEE cut. Pay attention to netting below BMR. If you are netting below your BMR you may not have selected a high enough activity level or your cut is too high for the weight you have to lose. Either way you need to adjust your calorie intake.

how high should you be netting above bmr? does it matter? for example if my BMR is 1430, is netting 1430 okay or preferably 1500, ect
  • ladyace2078
    right, ladyace, thanks for clarifying!

It can be so confusing at first! Especially because the way MFP does the net and says 'you need to eat these calories!!!!'
  • My TDEE is 2150 (at my goal weight, just trying to lose body fat and gain muscle which is what I put in for my goal). My BMR is 1285 so basically I want to make sure that I never go below NET 1285 for the day for my food/calorie intake correct? If I burn say 1500 calories with exercise that would have me at NET 650 for the day so then I need to make sure that I make up the remaining calories for the day by eating back an extra 635 calories to get back at NET 1285 right?
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    To be honest I don't even log in my exercise. I am eating at TDEE.
  • amysj303
    your TDEE includes exercise, so don't enter it, just eat your TDEE (2150) everyday if that is what it gives you for losing fat and gaining muscle.
    You might have to experiment to see if you gain eating at 2150, or you could increase slowly if you're eating way under that now.
  • To be honest I don't even log in my exercise. I am eating at TDEE.

Do you have huge calorie burns from exercise?
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    I lift 3 times per week, and only walk 3 miles once a week. I also breastfeed, so I even add on an extra 300 calories. My intake is 2600 calories a day. I have been losing on this, and it's supposed to be my maintenance level, so I think I might be burning more than I think I am.

I am on a rest week, and all I am doing is Crunch Pilates/Yoga. So I don't think I am burning all that much this week.
  • ladyace2078
    My TDEE is 2150 (at my goal weight, just trying to lose body fat and gain muscle which is what I put in for my goal). My BMR is 1285 so basically I want to make sure that I never go below NET 1285 for the day for my food/calorie intake correct? If I burn say 1500 calories with exercise that would have me at NET 650 for the day so then I need to make sure that I make up the remaining calories for the day by eating back an extra 635 calories to get back at NET 1285 right?

Yes this is correct. But a couple of questions - what kind of exercise are you doing to burn 1500 calories? How are you measuring your burn - HRM, fitbit, MFP database? I ask because 1500 is HUGE calorie burn unless you are exercising for hours or are very tall/weigh a lot.

Also if you are consistently netting below your BMR then likely you need to lower your TDEE cut to 5-15% or you don't have the right activity level.
  • ladyace2078
    how high should you be netting above bmr? does it matter? for example if my BMR is 1430, is netting 1430 okay or preferably 1500, ect

Just net your BMR...no need to net above it. You can if it works out that way (i.e. you are at 1350 and you eat a 150 cal snack).
  • My TDEE is 2150 (at my goal weight, just trying to lose body fat and gain muscle which is what I put in for my goal). My BMR is 1285 so basically I want to make sure that I never go below NET 1285 for the day for my food/calorie intake correct? If I burn say 1500 calories with exercise that would have me at NET 650 for the day so then I need to make sure that I make up the remaining calories for the day by eating back an extra 635 calories to get back at NET 1285 right?

Yes this is correct. But a couple of questions - what kind of exercise are you doing to burn 1500 calories? How are you measuring your burn - HRM, fitbit, MFP database? I ask because 1500 is HUGE calorie burn unless you are exercising for hours or are very tall/weigh a lot.

Also if you are consistently netting below your BMR then likely you need to lower your TDEE cut to 5-15% or you don't have the right activity level.

That was more a hypothetical question than an actual count. I LOVE to run (in a boot for a stress fracture right now so I'm currently not able to). My long distance runs (once a week) are around 13-14 miles and I typically burn around 1300 calories. I wear a HRM for any workouts that I do. On a typical day I burn around 220-230 doing strength training. I understand that on those days I have no need to be concerned that I won't net my BMR. My concern was basically for once I'm back in the saddle with running. ;) I was also a little confused by seeing other eat more/weigh less people netting WAY under 1200. Wasn't sure if I was missing something or what. ;)

I'm currently at 1660 per day PLUS eating back my exercise calories. Should I sort of ease into upping to 2150 (I think I might start at 2000) or should I just dive right in? I'm a little freaked out as it took a LOT of hard work to get to where I am now so I'm totally scared of a big change!