Introduce yourself

Options
quilteryoyo
quilteryoyo Posts: 6,094 Member
I am 52, will be 53 in August. I am a widow with 2 step children who live a few states away. I have 5 beautiful step-grandchildren ranging in age from 21 to 2 months. I am currently retired from the Air Force and work part time as a substitute teacher. I am also very involved with Relay For Life and the American Cancer Society since my husband died from brain cancer.

I started running in 2009 and ran a 10K trail run the weekend I turned 50, just to prove that I could. But then the following winter was really cold and the next summer horribly hot, so I didn't run at all and gained about 20 pounds. So, I took up running again in Nov, on a treadmill I purchased. I was able to work my way up to running 30 minutes without stopping in March. Then I started running outside and that is a whole different animal. I'm working my way up to running 30 minutes outside without stopping.

Replies

• dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm Dina.... a 47 year old mother of two. I have a 7 year old and a 3 year old. Yes, your math is correct... I had both kids after the age of 40! I've kind of been a yo-yo dieter most of my adult life, although I've been pretty athletic. After 2 kids and a desk job, however, the pounds packed on. I had a health scare early in 2011, and I knew I had to make some changes. I bought a treadmill in March 2011, and I started my journey to a healthier me. When I started, I was walking a 21 minute mile on the treadmill. Later last summer, I started doing some jog/walk intervals... and then I stumbled onto the C25K program. I ended up doing that program inside on the treadmill. I was proud of myself for being able to run almost 45 minutes. And then.... I took it outside! i got about 3/4 mile and was dying!!! So... I started the C25K program again outside (started in week 3 or 4, I think). I finished with C25K, and ran my first 5K race 2 days later (in December 2011... a day before I turned 47). I've been hooked ever since.

I've run two 1-Mile Fun Runs with my son, two 5Ks, two 8Ks and one 10K so far. My goal is to run a 1/2 marathon later this year or early next year.
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    My name is Laura. I'm 49, live in Seattle, and have two boys, age 10 and 7.I am vegan and recently found out I'm gluten intolerant, so also follow a GF diet.

Five years ago, my 3rd triathlon season, I ran 6 tris (5 sprint and 1 olympic distance) and a hilly half marathon. I'd lost 50# and was 25# from goal. A month after the half marathon, my husband was laid off for the 2nd time and I had to return to work full-time (I'd been working 10-20 hours-a-week prior and was a SAHM). I'm a stress eater and really didn't do myself any favors for the past 5 years, which included a 3rd layoff for my husband, learning to help our 2 kids with ADHD and dyslexia, a hysterectomy, and buying our own business. In other words, LIFE! I gave up all of me to take care of everybody else and support our family, keeping my nose to the grindstone and really forgetting about how to have fun and what brought me joy. I just worked and ate.

Things are finally starting to settle down, business ownership isn't as scary, and I'm working my way back to better health and healthier coping skills. My exercise commitment has seen fits and starts, but I've signed up for a half marathon in October (a flat one this time!) and am in the second week of Jeff Galloway's coach-to-half marathon training program. When I was running regularly, I absolutely loved it, especially middle distances like 8-10 miles. I'm certainly NOT loving it at the moment but looking forward to that feeling again as I improve.

My MFP runner friends have been a real inspiration to me, and I'm grateful for it.

Nice to meet you,
    Laura
  • zabbyvinny
    zabbyvinny Posts: 55
    Options
    I am Liz, a 48 yr old from Manchester, England. I am a single mum and have 3 boys aged 13, 12 and 10, I work full time as a teacher and I am nearing the end of my Masters degree. I also host students for extra income. Life has been a bit tough for the past five years and I have probably made it worse by having high expectations of myself too. I have gained a lot of weight through 'I deserve it eating' which is probably more commonly known as comfort eating. I am at my heaviest ever and have dragged out my wedding photos (with half the picture missing :bigsmile: ) as motivation. I am not normally a runner but have joined a group of girls for a walk, jog, run session on a Monday evening over 5K. Its a start!
    So good luck to everyone - every little helps x
    Liz
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    Hi. I'm Deb a SAHM of 3, ages 18, 8, and 6. I have been overweight most of my life. I've always admired runners and when I read about C25K, I knew that was the program for me. I am currently on week 6 of C25K and I am amazed that I have made it this far with completing each day as designed and not having to repeat any days. I've done most of it at the local track with a 2 days inside due to weather. I have had problems with my feet since I was 16 years old and problems with my knees since college. About 5 years ago, I gave in and had surgery on my left knee. My knees were hurting the first few weeks but I was also running the steps at the stadium after I finished my C25K workout and doing high impact 30 DS on my off days so I gave up those 2 other activities and have been concentrating on the C25K and do various other workouts usually 2 other days a week. I have just started doing the Bob Harper video on kettlebells so that is going to be my off day workouts.

My oldest participated in cross country and track his first three years of high school. He just graduated high school and will be going into the USMC in August. My middle child, my daughter, has not yet learned to run. She has a rare genetic syndrome, Prader-Willi Syndrome (PWS). PWS is the most common known genetic cause of life-threatening obesity in children. PWS has a quadruple whammy (as I call it) in that it typically causes low muscle tone, short stature if not treated with growth hormone, and a chronic feeling of hunger that, coupled with a metabolism that utilizes drastically fewer calories than normal, can lead to excessive eating and life-threatening obesity. Developmental delays tend to go along with PWS. My youngest (another boy) has ADHD. Life at our house is always exciting and very stressful and I have always turned to food when I am stressed. That certainly is not a good role model for my daughter who has been on calorie restrictions since she was 4 months old.

I want to do a race but don't want to do it alone and have not found anyone who wants to join me. Maybe I'll get up the courage to go solo. We tend to have real high humidity in the summer so I'm not sure if the summer is the best time for me to do my first race. We'll see how it goes.

Nice to meet you all!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Glad to meet you all and welcome! Feel free to add topics for the group to discuss and to go to the other threads to let us know what your goals are and how you are progressing. I am excited about the potential of this group....not only in motivating each other but also in the future races we will run! Look out running world. Here we come! :bigsmile:
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    Oops! I guess that I should have included that I am 46 years old!
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Michele, I am 57 a mother of two and grand mother to 4 very wonderful children. Married for 38 years and need to lose at least 15 - 20 pounds, Doctors orders. I have never ran in my life and I would like to do a 5k or even just to run for me. I live in Pa. and work part time as a CNA. I started out really well and recently some family members have taken ill and things are just nuts with me.....I need to start back at this slow.....
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm 52 -- 53 tomorrow, ugh!. I used to run between college and about age 40, but never very seriously -- probably never more than a mile or two at a time. I actually like walking much better. For the past 12 or so years I've gotten very sedentary -- I walk the dogs and that's about it, except for occasional things here and there. Since I've gotten on MFP around a couple of weeks ago, I've come to realize that if I want to meet my weight goal, and more importantly, MAINTAIN it, I'm going to need to start exercising regularly. It needs to become a habit -- a lifestyle change. Since starting MFP I've done some sort of exercise every day -- either walking briskly (in addition to strolling with the dogs) or Pilates class. As I've started to feel more fit, the idea of getting back into running, and even getting into it more seriously, became a real possibility. It burns so many more calories than walking, and gives you more of a cardio workout. I also remember that sometimes in the past I did like it. So I started the c25k program on Tuesday, and did Day 2 yesterday (Friday). I'm excited about having the goal of running a 5k. I'm not so concerned about speed -- I don't see myself winning races -- but if I could even just enter and FINISH a 5k I'd be happy. We'll see! I've never really LIKED exercise much other than walking, but I'm definitely feeling more fit lately, so hopefully I'll like the RESULTS enough to keep it up.

If anyone here is looking for more MFP "friends" feel free to add me -- hopefully we can keep one another motivated!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Welcome to the group Lilylight and Happy Birthday tomorrow! Don't be bummed about birthday's. They are a good thing.

I'm glad you have started to get back into exercising. I agree with you. I used to walk, but running does burn so many more calories. I'm sure I wouldn't be where I am now if it weren't for running. If you just take it slow and easy, you'll be able to do a 5K in no time! I have to walk part of the races I do and am not ashamed of that. Most people do. Just getting out there and doing it makes you a winner! (The key to winning/placing in your age group is to find a race without many people. At least that has worked for me. LOL)

Good luck and again, welcome to the group.....and welcome as my friend too!
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group Lilylight and Happy Birthday tomorrow! Don't be bummed about birthday's. They are a good thing.

I'm glad you have started to get back into exercising. I agree with you. I used to walk, but running does burn so many more calories. I'm sure I wouldn't be where I am now if it weren't for running. If you just take it slow and easy, you'll be able to do a 5K in no time! I have to walk part of the races I do and am not ashamed of that. Most people do. Just getting out there and doing it makes you a winner! (The key to winning/placing in your age group is to find a race without many people. At least that has worked for me. LOL)

Good luck and again, welcome to the group.....and welcome as my friend too!

Thanks, Quilter!
  • mcw0359
    mcw0359 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey everybody. My name is Mary, and I am hoping to find some inspiration (and advice on achy knees). I am 52 years old. Since hitting the big M, I have gained roughly 25 lbs! ouch. My poor old knees ache (double ouch), and no, no major arthritis, just luck of the genes I guess. Yes, I have purchased expensive fine running shoes fitted by our local runner's shop yet still no relief. I have always exercised but have never really been a runner (except for a brief year in my late 40s and my knees stopped me). Keep dreaming if only I could be a runner...
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    First off, welcome mcw. We're all on here trying to figure out what is best for each of us individually, I think. Anyway, I'm no expert, but I think I read somewhere that doing some leg strength training will help the knees because it strengthens the muscles that surround the knees and therefore helps keep them from being pounded quite so much.

Also, I don't know how much you try to run to start out, but I would start by walking more than I ran and gradually add in more running. That's what I did. It took 5 or 6 months before I was able to run 30 minutes without stopping.

Have you asked your doctor about your knees and running? He/she may have some suggestions also.

Welcome and good look! Let us know how you do.
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hi, may I ask if you started by walking and then moved to running? Any suggestions will help
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    bjmcq, Yes, I did start by walking. Then, I found a program that I could do to get me to run. I think it was more of a mental thing than physical, and still is. Anyway, a lot of people go for the Couch to 5K program which is 8 weeks, I think. I found one that is 20 weeks and did that one. It really helped me to overcome my mental issues with running. It can be found at marathontrainingacademy.com. Hope that help and good luck to you!

BTW, I had a personal record today. I ran 6.4 miles without stopping.....1 hour 20 min and 30 sec. Yes, it was slow, but it was designed to be so.

If I can do it, so can you!
  • bjmcq
    Options
    Hi quilteryoyo,
    thanks for the reply! Yes, I found the couch to 5 km program, and a couple of others, but I like the idea of your suggestion because it builds slowly. (Although I have been known to attempt too much too soon) Lifestyle changes should be ingrained I think, and it takes 6 weeks to adopt a permanent change/habit. So I will follow up and look at that program. I am 58, and do have some issues with hips, knees and back, but I don't seem to get as much muscle build from my stationary bike, even if I use more cal.

You have all inspired me to keep trying the walking and when I am ready, I will try the walk to run programs. I am not too old, I guess! Logged in my walking 2 days in a row, its just a start! thanks for the help, and have a great day. We had 18C/ 65 degree warm weather yesterday with the sun, was fabulous for mid -November! Incredible rain today, and warm, then it plummets to 0 C/32F tomorrow....so different walking clothes.
  • bjmcq
    Options
    Hi, forgot to finish this post this am...

quilteryoyo....

wow, what a great day, a great NSV, which seem to count more than the food! Running that long means you could do a half marathon....but I hope it was a fab run, with great views, and lots of fresh air. Congrats to you!

to the rest, have a sane and fulfilling day.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    bjmcq, You are definitely not too old to start getting in better shape or running......as long as your doctor says it's okay and you don't do too much too soon. I met a lady that runs in some of the 5K races I do and she's 80. Another was 83. The 80 year old quit running marathons when she was 70. She's my inspiration. I keep telling everyone that my goal is to run a marathon when I'm 80. That gives me 27 years to get ready. :laugh:
  • bjmcq
    Options
    Hi,
    I am fairly new to MFP, have lots to lose, and due to the academic work, have been very sedentary for the last while,,,that and fear of a recurrence of debilitating pain from sciatica. I am trying to get out, walk briskly with the dog for a few kilometers, and then will try running when my endurance is better. Anyone else start out like this, slow, but steady? The couch to 5k, or even the longer ones seem too much at once at this stage, but , in another month, I will be trying them.

Hope this group becomes more active and involved with posting.....Cheers, BJ
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Welcome bjmcq. I hope this group will be more active too. We need to add new topics and log our miles and achievements.

I think you are on the right track by starting out walking briskly. Before I really got into exercising, I decided to run and did way too much too fast. I could hardly walk for a month due to severe shin splints. I think the marathontrainingacadamy.com site says you should be walking 30 minutes 3 - 5 days a week before you start running. You can check it out to see for sure. They have a C25K that is longer than most and the one I used. It helped me overcome my mental block with running.

Good luck and keep posting. Maybe we can get the group excited.
  • bjmcq
    Options
    Hi there QYY,
    I really appreciate hearing of your own experience, and your sharing of that knowledge. I am not at the 5 days a week, 30 min, YET. I will be in another 2-3 weeks I think. So sorry for your shin splints, that was painful....and you obviously do not suffer from them now. Like you, I can get over ambitious and overdue it, so to make this a lifestyle change, I am really trying to acquire the regular habit of walk-then jog-run.....and doing too much too soon will be self sabotage. I looked up and bookmarked you other suggestion of marathon training that takes longer, and plan to undertake that as soon as I hit the higher walking goals.

Right now I am at 2 km/ 1.25 miles/ in 25 minutes...but Runtastic tells me I am doing 3.5 mph... but.I do take 2 rests. Sometimes that just helps me recover wind. Will keep plugging, and using your success for inspiration!