Pregnant and Lower Carb Eating?

Options
darrcn5
darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
Has anyone continued their lower carb lifestyle during pregnancy? I think DH and I are going to try to have a second child towards the end of the year, and I would like to continue with a lower carb eating style. Anyone have any personal experience or advise for this? Any recommendations for macro ratios or what a good carb level is for pregnancy? I did a little research online, and it sounds like you want to eat enough carbs to keep you out of ketosis (75-125 seemed to be a common recommendation) and make sure the carbs are from veggies, low sugar fruits, and limited grains.

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i would eat more of the starchier veggies, and healthy grains, like quinoa.
    sweet potatoes for sure! i miss them so much, and can't wait to add them in.
    winter squash too, maybe some fresh corn. brown rice.
    just keep portions small.
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Jimmy Moore Ask the Low Carb Experts has a great pod cast on it. The down load it free.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Jimmy Moore Ask the Low Carb Experts has a great pod cast on it. The down load it free.

There is no reason to change anything. Adding back in starchy vegtables and grains is just asking for a trigger and binge IMO. There is no scientific reason to eat these things while pregnant, it will not benefit the child, and likely will lead to eating other things that you really don't need like sugar, unless you have insane willpower...which from my experience my wife did not, and will eat anything with the "I'm pregnant!" excuse.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

There is no reason to change anything. Adding back in starchy vegtables and grains is just asking for a trigger and binge IMO. There is no scientific reason to eat these things while pregnant, it will not benefit the child, and likely will lead to eating other things that you really don't need like sugar, unless you have insane willpower...which from my experience my wife did not, and will eat anything with the "I'm pregnant!" excuse.

This is exactly what I am worried about. I had horrible willpower when I was pregnant with my first, and I gorged myself on carbs, carbs, and more carbs. It's kind of a miracle that I "only" gained 65 pounds and that 45 of it was gone within the first month. With a toddler to chase after now, I just know that the next pregnancy has got to be healthier than my last one!
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    What Martl said is right on. If you are on phase 2 you can stay there and be fine. If you are on Phase 1 no even my dr. said no on phase 1 but phase 2 is fine. You won't harm your child though you may want to have an added snack if you don't now just keep the snack with in reason. Just don't go hungry. Congrats:flowerforyou:
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no reason to ever go hungry, and with the available resources out there now for recipes, you can probably indulge in carb friendly sweets and breads to scratch that itch, without triggering bad behavior.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/dessert_recipes.html
  • AbbeyRysMom
    AbbeyRysMom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I agree that as long as you're in Phase 2, you should be fine. I am not pregnant, but I am nursing and plan to skip induction, only because I can't lower my carbs so significantly while breastfeeding. Try to get your carbs from green leafies and colorful veggies and some fruits, you really will be fine.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Has anyone continued their lower carb lifestyle during pregnancy? I think DH and I are going to try to have a second child towards the end of the year, and I would like to continue with a lower carb eating style. Anyone have any personal experience or advise for this? Any recommendations for macro ratios or what a good carb level is for pregnancy? I did a little research online, and it sounds like you want to eat enough carbs to keep you out of ketosis (75-125 seemed to be a common recommendation) and make sure the carbs are from veggies, low sugar fruits, and limited grains.

Please make sure you discuss your intended dietary-intake/low carb intake with the OBGYN who will be overseeing your care.....

Any research you found online, print it and take it with you to your visit with the OBGYN and ask he/she if that is right for you.....