Lats, back and chest not keeping up.

Options
beezerphd
beezerphd Posts: 136 Member
I've been lifting for around 6 months now and definitely seen some results.

I took a photo today and I feel as if my chest and lats are lagging behind.

I focus on my back and chest one day a week each, so it's not as if I neglect them.

My normal chest day looks like this

3 sets of flat chest press with either dumbbells or barbell.
3 sets of incline chest press with either dumbbells or barbell
3 sets of decline chest press with either dumbbells or barbell
3 sets of incline flyes or flat flyes.

Back day is usually

3 sets of lat pulldown
3 sets of bent over barbell or dumbbell rows
3 sets of bent over dumbbell flyes
3 sets of seated cable row.

Any ideas of things I could do to mix it up or perhaps anything I'm missing out that I need to add in?

I'm going to start adding in pull ups, but the only problem is that my local gyms don't have chinning bars and my one at home is alright, but I can't seem to get past 3 in doing pullups.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Without knowing more, I'd say that If you're only hitting the muscles once per week, I'd say that's the first problem.

Post your entire split with rep ranges.
  • ouija86
    ouija86 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    More volume. shoot for 200 reps
  • beezerphd
    Options
    Starting from Monday I do.

Chest
    Back
    Arms
    Shoulders
    Legs
    Rest
    Rest.

Rep ranges are usually around 8-10.

I'm definitely seeing strength gains in my chest, just don't seem to see any in my lats or back. Also I'm yet to experience any DOMS in my back which I've had in all other muscle groups I've worked at some point and it always feels as though it's my arms that are doing the work.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    You could just have poor posture while doing the exercises
    Work on bringing the shoulders back, chest out, and arching the back while doing chest movements - press with your palms if possible (going light). You need to keep this form even when on a flat bench - do not round out your back just because the bench is flat, you may want to try decline benchpress to get a better feel for proper form.

Work on pulling with your elbows when training lats and back, also keep the back arched and shoulders back (this is a reoccuring theme for working most bodyparts BTW). Use your hands as if they were hooks and don't grab the weights forcefully
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, a split like that isn't optimal for growth for most people. At your level of development, I'd be doing full body 3x per week.

Also, I would vary the rep ranges some, start your workout with low rep, compound moves add in some isolation moves for more volume later.

Are you eating a caloric surplus? If so, how much weight have you gained, and in what time frame?

What the above poster posted about correcting your form is good advice as well.

And you should be deadifting. You aren't going to build a big back just with dumbbell rows and lat pulldowns.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    yes definatelty. full body workouts. 3 x a week...no question.

you are too inexperienced for any kind of split really.

get stronger, get bigger. the rest will fall into place.

something like this is all you need for the first 6-18 months of training.
    Squat 3 x 10
    Bench press 3 x 8
    Bent row 3 x 8
    Military press 3 x 8
    Romanian Deadlift 3 x 8 or Normal Deadlifts
    BB curl 3 x 8 (for the arms bro)

you don't need 1467 different exercises when starting out. you just need to get stronger and competent with the big lifts.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    oh, and throw in some pullups somehwere too. they are for the upper body, like squats are for the lower.
  • TheFitFireman
    TheFitFireman Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You rest 2 days in a row? Why?

I rest only one day a week, I have 5 days where I have a designated split and then the 6th day that I workout I target my weak areas.

This is my split

Monday: Biceps & abs
    Tuesday Back & shoulders
    Wednesday: Triceps & obliques
    Thursday: Chest & Lats
    Friday: Legs
    Saturday: Target weak areas
    Sunday: Rest & cheat meal day
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    yes definatelty. full body workouts. 3 x a week...no question.

you are too inexperienced for any kind of split really.

get stronger, get bigger. the rest will fall into place.

something like this is all you need for the first 6-18 months of training.
    Squat 3 x 10
    Bench press 3 x 8
    Bent row 3 x 8
    Military press 3 x 8
    Romanian Deadlift 3 x 8 or Normal Deadlifts
    BB curl 3 x 8 (for the arms bro)

you don't need 1467 different exercises when starting out. you just need to get stronger and competent with the big lifts.

Yep this! This is what I do, minus the bro curls, sub in weighted chins! Seeing good progress and good weight gains.
  • beezerphd
    Options
    Cheers for the advice guys. I'll take it on board and change up my workout routine.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Without knowing more, I'd say that If you're only hitting the muscles once per week, I'd say that's the first problem.

Post your entire split with rep ranges.

this.
    honestly if you're new, instead of doing a split like you're doing, you should be on a program like stronglifts, starting strength, or 5/3/1.
    Hit the muscles 2x a week.
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Starting from Monday I do.

Chest
    Back
    Arms
    Shoulders
    Legs
    Rest
    Rest.

Rep ranges are usually around 8-10.

I'm definitely seeing strength gains in my chest, just don't seem to see any in my lats or back.

Couple of things. Switch your Arms and Shoulder days around. Do shoulders then Arms...

Up your Rep Range into the 10-12. For Chest and Back. Shoulders 12-14. Everyonce in a while do lower reps. But for Size. You need the 12 reps..

Also on the exercieses that put on mass. I like to do at least 4 sets. Somethings I'll do 7.

Key is to Keep the weight Mod. heavy and up the reps. You want to force them to grow.