Set a date for my first full!!

Options
sammielealea
sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
I have been looking forward to my 3rd half that I am doing . . . Been signed up for 4 months now! My sister-in-law and I have been going to runs together for 1 1/2 years now, and she decided to do a full in October, so I thought "Sure! Why not?!" (she's been running for about a year longer than me). We don't compete against eachother, just support! I was originally going to wait to see how I did on my 3rd 1/2 before I decided when to run a full (I have been saying that I'd like to set this goal for myself eventually). I'm so excited that I have set this goal for myself, but at the same time, just thinking about the distance sometimes scares me!! Anyone else feel this way before their first full, and if you've completed, how did you feel after?

Replies

• what923
    what923 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've run 5 half races and last summer found myself running 13 most weekends for a long run. I've been working on my speed to improve the last couple of races but picked one out last fall. I also have my first full this October. Last summer 17 miles was the longest distance I have run. Granted even after most 13 runs I think could I go do that again right now? And especially at 17 miles I was thinking "another 9 - am I nuts?" But there are some ladies on here who have done a few fulls and I now believe with 1-proper training 2-proper fueling and 3- weight training and proper recovery that this is totally a do-able achievement. My goal isn't just to drag my butt across the finish line (like I did on my first half) but to 'finish strong'.

I think the most important part is just to remember- enjoy every run and the adventure of training. Then the race is just the cherry on top but even if race day is a flub (bad weather or and injury, etc) at least we have enjoyed the ride! :)
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I was crazy when I ran my first half and my first full. I ran the goofy challenge. January 2011 I ran a half Saturday and the next day ran a full. It was the first time I ran both plus did it in one weekend. I wasn't nervous or scared. I think I must have been out of my mind! I ran it again January 2012 and I was nervous! I freaked myself out but did better than the year before. Signed up to run it again 2013 so hoping to get a better time. Not sure how my pace would be for a full if I didn't have to worry about running the half the day before. I'd love to run a full separate but afraid to run one other than at Disney. Good luck with your race!

For me running is more of a mental challenge. If I tell myself I can do it I do but as soon as I start to think too much I'm in big trouble. Have fun and enjoy!
  • sammielealea
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! The training program that I'm following is building me up gradually, and has worked out good corresponding with the half that I'm scheduled for. I'm comfortable with the half distance, but my crazy meter just keeps going off when I think about the distance of the full; totally doesn't help that I keep hearing "you must be crazy" from non-runners, and it does sound a lot worse when you say it in km's 42.2 . . .lol!! I'll have to start converting to miles; I also think that the mental challenge is the most prominent. Thanks for the assurance, and good luck with your races too :) btw . . . the Disney DOES sound pretty intense! lol
  • Rsespaniak
    Rsespaniak Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It starts to seem less crazy with time. As you start running the longer training runs, it starts feeling less so. I look it there being three parts to marathon training - the physical/endurance part, the mental part and the fuel/hydration part. The mental part is challenging at times. And there will be training runs that will definitely be mental training days. Just keep focused on your goal and you'll get there.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I've decided when my first will be as well in October and I'm excited and a bit nervous. I've run 2 halfs and have another this fall and have also completed a 25k and felt strong at that one. So far my farthest long run is the 25k (15.5 miles) so I have a lot of training to do and I'm also doing P90X to work on strength and conditioning. My current round of 90 days will be done in two weeks and then I'm planning to do another but skip all the cardio in exchange for just running. Those runs getting longer and longer will mean I don't want to do another hour of cardio for risk of injury. It's exciting to me to think I will be a marathoner in a few short months! Now I just need to register... I'm being lazy about that for some reason, probably because then it will be more real!
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    YAY!!! That's so exciting!
  • StrongerByTheMiles
    Options
    I am right there with you too! I am (kind of unofficially??) decided to run my first full in October! My first half is this weekend. I'm a little scared but I have a big of a "now or never" attitude. I just feel that I should do it while my momentum is going and I'm pumped for the opportunity! It is scary, but that is what makes it an awesome accomplishment!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first full this Nov and when I think about the distance I def freak myself out. I try to think of it as.. 10 miles, 10 miles, then a 10k.. I think for me the hardest part will be the mental aspect.. I need some good mantras to keep myself going!
  • curlytamara28
    Options
    The full is a whole other beast. But as long as you train properly for it (run your 18 & 20 milers), you will be fine. Try not to walk bc that will really start to mess with your head as your body will want to stop running and walk. Good luck, how exciting!! Im running my third full next May. I cant wait to start training for it again. Its such a wonderful experience!
  • sammielealea
    Options
    Thanks for all of the tips and stories . . . much more comforting knowing that you're not the only way that feels like that, but still attaining to reach that marathon goal! Good luck to everyone on your races!