HELP.......Reset or Cut

Options
Hi Guys,

I've just been reading some of the threads about reset and cut. I am not sure what I should be doing so need some help please.

I went on a 1200 cal diet back in February 2008 and then I got bulimia with anorexic tendancies in August 2008 where I was on a diet of 500 calories a day (with binges) until April 2010. That is when I got help and went back up to a 1200 cal diet doing 1 hour swimming 4-5 times a week until September 2010 when I went back to eating 500-1000 calories a day diet with no exercise. In November 2010 I decided enough was enough and I threw the diets out the window and began to eat normally working out 2-3 times a week for an hour doing aerobics. I came on MFP after I went to USA last August 2011 and gained a stone in 3 weeks whilst on holiday. I have lost 7lbs so far but still have 15lbs to go. I'm not sure what I should be doing?

My height is 5ft 6inches (66 inches)
weight 141 lbs

Any advice would be much appreciated. I am currently doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred - 20 mins of cardio and weight training - along with 30 minutes walking daily. If you could advise me on what my activity level should be as well that would be great (i.e. sedentary, light, moderate etc).

If you need any more information please let me know.

Thanks

Kels

Replies

• techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I've just been reading some of the threads about reset and cut. I am not sure what I should be doing so need some help please.

I went on a 1200 cal diet back in February 2008 and then I got bulimia with anorexic tendancies in August 2008 where I was on a diet of 500 calories a day (with binges) until April 2010. That is when I got help and went back up to a 1200 cal diet doing 1 hour swimming 4-5 times a week until September 2010 when I went back to eating 500-1000 calories a day diet with no exercise. In November 2010 I decided enough was enough and I threw the diets out the window and began to eat normally working out 2-3 times a week for an hour doing aerobics. I came on MFP after I went to USA last August 2011 and gained a stone in 3 weeks whilst on holiday. I have lost 7lbs so far but still have 15lbs to go. I'm not sure what I should be doing?

My height is 5ft 6inches (66 inches)
    weight 141 lbs

Any advice would be much appreciated. I am currently doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred - 20 mins of cardio and weight training - along with 30 minutes walking daily. If you could advise me on what my activity level should be as well that would be great (i.e. sedentary, light, moderate etc).

If you need any more information please let me know.

Thanks

Kels

Hi Kels,

I would recommend the reset for you. Shoot for 6-8 weeks then do a cut. By doing a reset you get your body accustomed to the most is can handle, then allow it time to trust that you won't deprive it again and then start a small deficit (15%). So basically, rev up you metabolism engine and get it good and efficient before making a cut.

For activity, I would say at least moderately active.

HTH
  • kels136
    kels136 Posts: 55
    Options
    techmom29 thanks for your reply :) much appreciated

bump for any other comments :)
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I agree a reset would be the best.

Don't be scared of your scale. It is normal to gain some weight. But it is for the long haul.

If you don't have to lose a lot, you might want to go with a 10% cut after your reset
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Just reading this out of curiosity what is considered "not a lot to lose" - 10 pounds or less?
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Just reading this out of curiosity what is considered "not a lot to lose" - 10 pounds or less?

That's only my definition of not a lot and yes it is in the range of around 15 or less pounds
  • kels136
    kels136 Posts: 55
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I have decided to do the reset but at sedentary activity for now which I will be consistent with for the next 2 weeks. Then I will do a "stock take" and see how things are progressing. As I will be starting doing workouts with my mum after those two weeks I will bump my reset up to moderate activity which I will be consistent with for the remaining 6 weeks. Then I will cut my moderate activity reset TDEE by 20% to lose. Do you think this is reasonable?