When does being acceptable turn to rude?

Options

Replies

• Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it's 1 culture vs. another - I think it's just a case of 1 or 2 people with the wrong attitude showing up.....
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Where I swim we don't even have lane dividers.
    So if you come at busy times, you have people swimming width wise, others swimming round the pool in a circular fashion, kids waiting till you approach then jumping in front of you, and all sorts, especially during the school holidays!
    So best thing is to come early morning or evening, when the pool is emptier!
  • dg98adam
    dg98adam Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have run into this a my local Y.... but as a regular I think I am very accommodating. and I think I do what others do... If the lap lanes (2-3) have 1 person swimming, I pick the one closest to my pace. I will sit on the edge until they touch/flip/etc. If they stop, then I ask, "ok to split your lane (never got a no)?".... if they don't stop, there's no way they did not see me... I am a big guy., I go on and get in and plan on splitting but start easy to give them a chance to acclimate. Hardly ever have more than 2 in a lane for long.... but I have had to explain what "circle swim is". there are a few older patrons that have no clue (one guy uses a 1-arm stroke we call the "flapper" that uses the entire lane and barely makes any headway.... his elementary backstroke is not much different.

I think I go out of my way to invite anyone "sitting on the bench waiting on a lane" to split my own. I know I do this maybe 1 time a week. I usually only have time for a 30 min. swim in the mornings.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Since I do all flip turns when I'm swimming freestyle, it's very rare I see anybody waiting while I'm in the middle of a set - hence my asking the lifeguards to just let them know to put their feet in the water, once I see them I move to the side & then they can start swimming. While I don't want to see anybody waiting unnecessarily, especially since I swim some long sets, I also don't want to be stopped for somebody to ask. I have found this to be a great solution, the lifeguard explains to them that doing it this way is my idea & I'm good with it. Naturally, if somebody comes in while I'm on a set break & they need a spot I invite them in. Our morning "regulars" know they are more than welcome to join me & the safest way to do it, I have never had a problem & I am not leaving people waiting. I started asking the lifeguards to pass on the instruction because I knew I wasn't seeing people.....
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm new to swimming myself, and once got yelled at for not asking before I jumped in. The man was swimming in a circle and didn't know I was there until we almost collided. So I always ask. I've also complained to a lifeguard before when people wouldn't stop jumping in without asking. Sure, I'll split a lane with that person... great, a third jumped in but didn't bother to confer so there's no circle! Then a little boy started to jump in (he would be the 4th), and I snapped at him and told him no, that was too many people.

I've also said no to a third party asking to circle swim before. It's not personal -- I'm a beginner (as in, learned 2 years ago and only began swimming in deep pool 6 months ago) and felt forced to keep pace with others and couldn't do it, even though they promised they'd swim at my pace. I explain that to people as politely as possible when I say no, but some still look ticked off. But I have no problem splitting with one other person, and I'm improving and will hopefully work up to sharing with two others when needed.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Seriously, it ain't about getting permission so much as it is a social dance to let the person already there know you're there so no-one gets hurt.
    This! I dangle my feet until they get to the wall. If they flip and keep going I know they've seen me -or my feet at least-and we're good to go. If they stop it's usually a very quick "split the lane, OK?". It hasn't happened to me but I doubt if I'd take "no" for an answer. I think I'd just start swimming and put it on them to complain to the lifeguards.

• 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am with gentlygently on this - I am in the UK mainly use a private gym pool where there are 3 lanes for slow, medium and fast and we all circle swim. This morning there were 5 of us in the fast lane for a bit and it worked. Also used a couple of public pools in lap sessions and again, circle swimming with lanes for each speed are the norm.

The only time I have ever had proper swimming rage is when I was the only one in a lane and still someone thought it was a good idea to jump in just as I was turning. I let rip at the guy about how he could have knocked me out and used a few choice words when doing so.

Apart from that I tend to only get annoyed if someone waits until I am about to turn before they start a length and then they are slower than me so I have to touch their foot to get them to let me pass at the next turn (foot touching in the UK is the please let me pass indicator) or this guy that only swims every Tuesday from 6.50am to 7.20am, never acknowledges a hello and is quite aggressive and annoys everyone.

Also, if someone was in a lane by themselves swimming at my sort of speed I wouldn't even ask to join them I would just get in and swim. If they didn't like this I would make sure I joined them every single time I saw them swimming just to wind them up and spur me on.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    There is a process in place at most Ys where if a person is causing issues reports are filed. That's how management can track problems. Approach the lifeguard offline and preferably not while they are on pool duty. Ask that this woman's behavior be documented. Multiple issues can give management the right to ask her out of the pool. How do I know? I am a deck supervisor for my local Y.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,266 Member
    Options
    Some guy jumped in my lane tonight while I was using the board on my back and scared the crap out of me. The ONLY reason I was going backward was because there was nobody there and I had the lane to myself. Had he waited (literally) 20 seconds for me to reach him, I would have happily said "Let's split" and turned myself over. I was almost done, so I didn't say anything, but sheesh!
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Lol im really knew to the swimming adequate I never even thought about asking to join a lane I just jump in lol saying that if the lanes even have one person each in them I normally just swim around people in the main bit unless its mega packed. That lady is rude and I would have said sorry I asked to be nice but the place is busy and im getting in anway! If she has anything to say back go and tell the life guards who im sure will back you up from that you have said. Happy swimming :smile:
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    ps what is circle swimming ?
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
  • debbiesats
    debbiesats Posts: 65 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    She's rude and way out of order. Get in that lane with her.
    I don't ask and never will - it's not the other swimmers' pool any more than it is mine so I don't think I need to ask anyone's permission.
    If someone has paid for private use of a lane then the lifeguards put a marker board at each end to let everyone know.
    What I do is watch for a minute to judge which swim lane has the pace nearest mine then get in - when there's a gap. I find it easier to swim in a busy lane of 5 at the right pace then share with 1 or 2 that I'm too fast or too slow to swim comfortably with.
    The continuous swim lanes at the pools I use (public pools) have direction boards to show that lane is either clockwise and anti-clockwise - works great when people don't ignore them!
    If neither of the swimming lanes suit then I take my chances in the 'free swimming' half of the pool. Not great for intense sets but I can practice sighting and get the chaotic feel of a mass start. :)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    My Home Town pool is 6 lanes - so they set up 3 double wide lanes ( Slow, Medium and Fast ) that can accommodate 3 swimmers across per lane. So when a 4th swimmer shows up is when we have to revert to circle swimming.

If I am the 4th I watch the Pattern and Speed of the Lanes to see which one I am most closely matched to ( medium or fast ) then I do the Dangle your feet over the edge of the pool while waiting for the swimmers to get to the end of the pool and acknowledge me.

Like everyone else on here we always seem to have those special people who can't read the writing on the 4 ft High Signs indicating what the lane speeds are or that circle swimming is recommended for more than 2 people.

I once had a person jump into the pool and start swimming without establishing contact with me. I was the only person in the Lane and he never established what pattern I was doing ( Circle or Lane) . I was doing lane swim single sided lateral breathing/arm stroke exercises in the Lane tight to the wall forcing me to do a nice clean high elbow zipper- so I never saw him coming at me since I was always looking at the wall when breathing. The lifeguard was on the far side of the pool and had no chance at getting around the pool to prevent the collision. Like a car crash the larger vehicle ( me ) tends to push the smaller vehicle around. Well I buried the guy - neither of us was hurt - but the life guard pulled him out of the pool and gave him a long talk about pool etiquette and then told him to leave the pool for the day. The life guard smiled and waved at me.
    It turns out that this was not his first incident.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    My $0.02.
    It is always rude to say NO to lane sharing when the pool is crowded. In fact, check the pool rules. It probably mandates sharing and even oval swimming if really crowded.
    I only ask if the person happens to be at the end of the pool I'm about to jump into. Other wise I just jump in and wait until they get back to the end again so they know they are sharing. Reduces chances of scaring the other person :)
    It is the height of selfishness to think one can claim an entire lane when people are waiting.
    The other night I did ovals with 2 other people that were slower than I am. (hard to believe)
    Luckily the women's husband didn't have much stamina so I had plenty of room to pass every 3rd lap. But sharing is what one is supposed to do. (One Y I visited told me that requiring sharing up to 5 swimming oval in a lane when it is busy)
    Again, check the rules. You'll probably find that pool rules require lane sharing.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Most at my pool also ask, but if the swimmer is either ignoring you or is just concentrating so hard that they can't see you, most will sit on the edge of the pool in the middle of the lane with their feet in the water so that the swimmer can't avoid you, then ask.

Yesterday was a new one. There was a therapist/PT with a client and they took up a whole lane to do exercises/therapy in one end. This is stuff usually reserved for the warm pool or done in the lane by the steps and ramp. It wasn't crowded but there was one lane (of 5) that had 2 people in it.

• SwimtotheEnd
    SwimtotheEnd Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You know what I hate.................You know what I hate

I hate it when you swim laps and there’s an empty lane next to you but a swimmer decides to join in your lane.
    I hate it when a slow swimmer gets in the medium lane or worse still the fast lane !
    I hate it when a swimmer swims on the wrong side of the lane.
    I hate it when a swimmer swims down the centre of the lane.
    I hate it when a swimmer pushes off to start their training as you’re just about to turn and they break your rhythm.
    I hate it when some kid has done a “polly waffle” in the pool. (think Caddy Shack)
    I hate it when people talk all over the end of a lane so you can’t tumble turn without placing a foot on them. (mmmm. I’ll think about that).
    I hate breastroke. Sorry breastrokers but it hurts my knees, I’m slow it and it looks funny.
    I hate swimmers that do backstroke and swim zig zag style down the pool.
    I hate pools that are over chlorinated so it burns the skin.
    I hate it when a fast swimmer gets in a medium or slow lane to show off.
    I hate it when referees hold you on the blocks and wait for the big fat guy to wobble so they can DQ.
    I hate it when a swimmer stops halfway for a rest.
    I hate it when the ugly old guy keeps his speedos one season too long and they become see through.
    I hate it when the changerooms have no hot water.
    I hate it when you’re swimming a real good time for 800m and some guy is laying on the bottom of the pool with bluish skin and you have only done 400m.
    I hate it when you get that guilty feeling at 600m that you should check on him.
    I hate it when you have completed your 800m and its not your best time as the guy took your mind off the swim.
    I hate it when I cant swim.

In all seriousness I just really like swimming
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Next time: don't ask; get in the lane when her back is turned, and she is at the opposite end; wait for her to make it back to your end; without saying a word, take off on one side of the lane. She will be forced to split, and if she flips out at you, ignore her and keep swimming. She's in the wrong, and she knows or ought to know it based on her many interactions with lifeguards telling her that she must split the lane. Asking to split a lane with somebody is the polite thing to do. Agreeing to split the lane is also the polite thing to do. You've made several attempts to be polite, and she hasn't reciprocated. If she doesn't want to play nice, you don't have to either.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    ElBence wrote: »
    Next time: don't ask; get in the lane when her back is turned, and she is at the opposite end; wait for her to make it back to your end; without saying a word, take off on one side of the lane. She will be forced to split, and if she flips out at you, ignore her and keep swimming. She's in the wrong, and she knows or ought to know it based on her many interactions with lifeguards telling her that she must split the lane. Asking to split a lane with somebody is the polite thing to do. Agreeing to split the lane is also the polite thing to do. You've made several attempts to be polite, and she hasn't reciprocated. If she doesn't want to play nice, you don't have to either.

Exactly.
    That is what I do. The only time I ask is if they happen to be at the end of the pool at the same time I get there.
    When I'm swimming alone in the lane I only use half the lane and make it obvious that lane splitting is fine with me. So used to it that even if I'm the only one in the pool I don't swim in the middle.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I swim at the gym I belong to. Like many others, depending on when you go, you usually get to know the same swimmers and (in some cases) their routines. I'm a "the more the merrier" kind of person.

I'm training for a long distance swim, so for me it's not so much about speed at this point, but trying to build my endurance. I'll work on speed a bit later (PM me if I'm going about things the wrong way...always looking for new insights into training). So I personally never mind sharing a lane with someone. In fact, I find that when I do share a lane, it motivates me to push myself even further.

It took me a bit to learn the rhythm of my pool. When two people are sharing a lane, one swims on one side (the wall) and the other swims on the other (closer to the lane marker). A few weeks ago, I'm swimming and notice a commotion in the lane next to me. It was loud enough to make several swimmers stop mid-stroke and those in the nearby hot tub take notice.

Two women entered the pool and started swimming/walking/doing water aerobics in one lane. This lane was previously occupied by one woman who moved to the lane-marker side when she saw the two women get in on the edge-side.

The two women, unaware of our pool's etiquette, went up the edge-side and then turned and went down the lane-marker side, causing the first swimmer to run into them. The commotion was the first swimmer using some choice language, yelling at the women and exclaiming, "you're not even swimming!"

I'm sure you could make an argument that the women weren't really swimming and had gotten in the woman's way. You can also make the argument that the first woman needs to calm down.

I mentioned this point because I am with all of you - it's ridiculous for the person OP is talking about to say "no" when asked to share a lane. Life isn't that serious. THINGS aren't that serious. And no one is the Queen of the Pool...especially if it isn't your pool.