Questions

Options
alimac92
alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
Hello ladies.

Just a few Questions for a newbie potential jogger

How hare you counting your miles? Do you take a known route or are you using a pedometer?
I have a great HRM but it doesn't show distance just time and calorie burn etc.

I want to walk/jog over a country park it's mainly fields how should I count the distance.

My step counter is a bit temperamental maybe I should invest in a better one to get an accurate reading.

Does it matter about the distance at the beginning perhaps I am worrying before I've even started.

Thanks

Replies

• Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you have an android phone endomondo offers free app
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies.

Just a few Questions for a newbie potential jogger

How hare you counting your miles? Do you take a known route or are you using a pedometer?
    I have a great HRM but it doesn't show distance just time and calorie burn etc.

I want to walk/jog over a country park it's mainly fields how should I count the distance.

My step counter is a bit temperamental maybe I should invest in a better one to get an accurate reading.

Does it matter about the distance at the beginning perhaps I am worrying before I've even started.

Thanks

Hi! I to am new to this and the park I go to has it marked out, but I have my Pedometer that I wear which will count distance, calorie burn and time...........I have a HRM and didn't think about wearing that.....thanks for the thought. If you are looking for a Pedometer I purchased a Orman love it.
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I use endomondo as well on my android phone. I also load some music on my phone so that I can listen to tunes as I workout. If you have a smart phone, there are quite a few apps out there that use GPS to measure your distance, pace, etc. I am FINALLY using my smart phone for more than just a phone! LOL

I have a fitbit that I really love. It measures number of steps, miles, flights of stairs (hills also count), overall calories burned throughout the day (but does not account for calories burned from stationary activities such as weight lifting) and has the time (keeps me from having to wear a watch!) I know that there are some inexpensive pedometers out there.

I think that it is important to measure your distance. I, for one, need lots of positive feedback. I actually track a lot of my workouts so that I can see how I'm making improvements. I believe that endomondo also allows you to upload your workout data to their website but I haven't set that up yet. I also find it very important to keep track of my pace. On one hand, I do not want to run too fast and wear myself out to the point where I cannot finish my workout. On the other hand (especially with walking), I don't want to let myself go too slow and not get the workout that I need.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone and use a FREE app called RUNKEEPER!! I love it!
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Just downloaded endomondo on my Droid - thanks for the heads up!

I've also used the US Track and Field websites to chart new running routes.
  • alimac92
    Options
    I have an iPhone and use a FREE app called RUNKEEPER!! I love it!

I have an iPhone I'll look for this.
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I tried endomondo on my Droid yesterday and it could never "find" me even though it said the GPS signal was excellent. Hmm..., don't have the thing setup correctly? I'm not sure.

Ali, our babysitter last night showed me her Nike application on her iphone that looked fantastic. It works similarly to endomondo.

Laura
  • alimac92
    Options
    I tried endomondo on my Droid yesterday and it could never "find" me even though it said the GPS signal was excellent. Hmm..., don't have the thing setup correctly? I'm not sure.

Ali, our babysitter last night showed me her Nike application on her iphone that looked fantastic. It works similarly to endomondo.

Laura

I think I have to buy something to go with that that clips to my shoe?? I'll Check the price and see if it is more reasonable to purchase. Thanks for reminding me :)
  • dsak
    Options

Laura

I think I have to buy something to go with that that clips to my shoe?? I'll Check the price and see if it is more reasonable to purchase. Thanks for reminding me :)

I think you do have to have a chip for your shoe to use the Nike app.

Laura -- I'm not entirely sure of the settings for the Droid, but... I know on the iPhone, you have to make sure your "Location Services" is on... so it can locate you... to be able to use the GPS.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,103 Member
    Options
    I have a new question, so I hope someone sees this. How do you increase your speed on your runs? I have heard you should just increase your miles and it will come. Others say to do fartleks or interval training. Just wondering what has worked for you guys.

I just started this week trying to do fartleks after I get my run in....actually, I think it is more interval training, but I like the work fartlek so much better! :happy: I have been doing my scheduled run and then walking a couple minutes to recover and then run for a point on my route, like a tree about .1 or .2 miles away at a high speed I think I can maintain for that distance, and then walk again and repeat. I just don't know if this is going to help me run a 5K faster or not. Any ideas?
  • dsak
    Options
    I have a new question, so I hope someone sees this. How do you increase your speed on your runs? I have heard you should just increase your miles and it will come. Others say to do fartleks or interval training. Just wondering what has worked for you guys.

I just started this week trying to do fartleks after I get my run in....actually, I think it is more interval training, but I like the work fartlek so much better! :happy: I have been doing my scheduled run and then walking a couple minutes to recover and then run for a point on my route, like a tree about .1 or .2 miles away at a high speed I think I can maintain for that distance, and then walk again and repeat. I just don't know if this is going to help me run a 5K faster or not. Any ideas?

I don't work on my speed at all at this point. But... I think I have gotten a little faster as I've increased my mileage. I've read several places that as a new runner, just concentrate on endurance and mileage, and the speed will come later. I did try HIIT on the treadmill 1x this week and I may try that again in the future, but... that is a bonus for me.

And remember... whether it's a 14 minute mile or a 7 minute mile... it's still a mile!!! Be proud of your accomplishments so far!!! You're doing GREAT!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks dsak. :smile:
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    do you have to keep track of your miles? I have NO idea how far I run - unless it's measured track or something. I just go for a half hour or so - was getting in an hour but that's harder to do with this heat.
    If I'm only doing it for the calorie burn, do I need to track mileage?
    I have questions.... lol
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Yes you do. If you don't the running police will come by and arrest you! :laugh: Just kidding, of course. You don't have to keep track if you don't want to. I am running some races, so I keep track. But, also it is a big motivator to me to see just how far I have gone and to know that if I go less than 3 miles, it's an easy day. Who would've ever thought that?!

I run on the country road by my house and know the mileage because I used my car to measure it.....wrote down landmarks about every tenth of a mile. It works for me, but we aren't all the same. If we were, the world would be a boring place. Just do whatever feels right for you.