Being Sick and Working Out

KarinFit4Life
KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
Hi peeps!

I have a question about working out while sick. When you have the flu, a cold, upper airway infection for example.

Do you still work out when you have any of the above?

How badly do you have to be sick to rather stay away from the gym/ weights/ treadmill etc?

I have a yucky upper airway infection in the making I think...burning throat and nose and that tired, lethargic feeling....(probably enhanced by sleepless nights with sick baby girl)
But I so want to go to gym and do my NROL workout... I feel if I start skipping workouts now I'm going to put a hitch in my progress. :(

Any words of wisdom or opinions or own experiences to share?

Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    I handle it the way that as long as I don't have fever and my body does not feel completely worn out I will do my workout

Just listen to your body

Feel better:heart:
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    "tired, lethargic feeling" should be a big hint. You've been up with a sick baby and now you're sick. In the long run, I think you'd do yourself a favor if you rested and kicked this cold. After all, you'll be able to train much better and recover faster if you rest. You know your body and you know what you're capable of, but waiting a bit until you're feeling better (and the people at the gym will thank you, too!) would help you out in the long run anyway.

Hope you (and the kiddo) feel better soon!
  • himel13
    himel13 Posts: 146 Member
    I personally think its best to rest when you're not feeling well..your body is going through enough already! But then again, that might just be me trying to get out of exercise! :P I think you should listen to your body..if you feel you can do it, then do, otherwise take a day or two off. Sorry, I'm sure that wasn't even really helpful! :P
  • himel13
    himel13 Posts: 146 Member
    Btw, hope you both get well soon!
  • KarinFit4Life
    (and the people at the gym will thank you, too!)

Hope you (and the kiddo) feel better soon!

LOL! I didnt even think of that...oops. Youre right in any case.

Thank you all for the well wishes!! :flowerforyou:
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Sorry to hear that you are sick!!!!

i believe your body is designed to fight its battles and to do that it need a lot of energy to heal itself ... i say listen to your body and if you are feeling sick and run down your energy is best spent on getting better than exhausting it even more and extending your time sick.

Plus when you have time off your exercise it can act like a rest week from dieting ... just enjoy the good foods with good nutrients and I guess you can always do stretches or something like that and have a relaxing, unwind week.

feel better soon
  • missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    I would say to listen to your own body. I would have done same thing.. I was so exhausted yesterday even though I could have push myself to do workout.. I just got home from vacation. I did not have any energy. NADA! So I took a day off and came back stronger this morning :)
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Since I think in terms of my LIFE now, 1 week off won't even make a dent in my progress. :)

If I am lethargic or exhausted, if I have a headache or lots of coughing, or if I"m running a fever I will take 2-5 days off. My body can't both heal the illness and my muscles, plus I think I have a higher chance of injury if I workout when I'm not at 100%. Slower healing from illness or an injury will delay me much longer in getting back to my routine, rather than just taking a few days off to get better.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    For me, if I have a stuffy nose, or just feel achy.. ya know the beginning of a cold I will still go to the gym.. but once I start sneezing or coughing and your fatigued and achy, just go home, grab a blanket, lay down on the couch, and get some vitamin C.. Nobody likes people that go to the gym sick and couch on everything, plus your body is busy fighting the virus and doesn't need you reducing its energy by exercising/lifting.. will make you stay sicker for longer periods of time...
  • KarinFit4Life
    Thanks all! I decided to take it easy and only did some treadmill walking at home to get the blood flowing...darn cold here!

Will see how things go the next few days.