Help :0/

Options
Emagali74
Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
Can someone please advise me about my calorie goal while strength training.

I am doing NROL4W- They calculate 1950 on lifting days and 1700 on non lifting days. My PT was suggesting 2100 every day and a cheat day.

I weighed myself yesterday and hadnt done for 6 weeks on my PT'S instructions and I have gained 7 pounds in 6 weeks !!! I was expecting a small gain because previously I had only been doing cardio but theres no way this is all muscle gain, however I dont physically look or feel like I have gained seven pounds in fat. To confuse matters I was on holiday for 2 weeks of those 6 and didnt eat very well.

I am not unhappy with my weight but I would like to lose three of those seven I have gained. So last week and this week I have been trying to eat around 1500 to cut back a little. But I have been eating low carb (thats how I lost all my weight previously). I have just added in carbs in the morning (oatmeal) because my energy levels were right down. I strength train 3 times a week and run 3 days (about 30 minutes a time).Im jsut finding myself confused on the BMR/TDEE issue.... my BMR is 1319- I know I need to eat more than that. I am thinking though that when I increased to NROL4W recommended numbers then this might explain the weight gain,,,, maybe that increase was too much-I was previously eating 1600 at MFP maintenance level....

Has anyone else struggled with finding the right level of calories for them-I know how important it is not to eat enough especially while strength training but I do not want to be putting on a pound a week either :0/ everyone tells you to hide the scales away but now I am regretting that....does anyone else also weigh weekly?

Why is the maintenance thing so bloody hard?! lol

Any advice/tips would be appreciated x

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
    BMR is just what your body burns a day if you were just to sit and not do anything. TDEE is your BMR + burn from activities a day.
    I would stick to the book calculations and see how things go for few weeks. If things are going up, cut cals back by 100-200-you just have to see what works for you. If things are going down, then you are good. I step on the scale one day a week-always the same day, at the same time to check things out. I don't care much about the scale -I go by my clothes and the mirror. It was hard for me to accept the higher cals. when I first started lifting and not stepping on the scale and all the other stuff. But once I saw change in my body, my clothes fitting better and dropping jean sizes, then I came to terms with it. I started lifting a year ago-I'm 5'8" and I was 145# back then. Right now I'm 150# and a jean size down from a year ago. If you like what you see in the mirror and how you feel , you should just step away from the scale. Good luck to you!