Excuses, excuses

Options
Roadie2000
Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
Has anyone ever gotten any good (or good BS) excuses why someone can't make it to a date, or something else? Or have you even given someone else an excuse just to get out of a date?

I got a good one last night. She said her best friend's brother fell off a roof and she had to go with them to the hospital. Now I have no reason not to believer her, and I don't think anyone would make up a story like that, but in my many years of dating I've had this happen a few too many times. I mean, I don't really I care either way, I have nothing emotionally invested, just thought it would be fun to talk about.

Replies

• Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I had a guy tell me that he couldn't make a Sunday night date because he had to apply for jobs. LOL I think he realized that all his I miss you texts and talking about me being his future girlfriend before our first date freaked me out.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    LOL I had one guy cancel a date on me 15 min before cause he was out getting his taxes done... At 8 oclock at night on a Sunday in November lol
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have any good stories about what a guy has said to me. Although I'm sure karma has something wonderful in store for me.

But I, admittedly have had some stupid ones. (I'm brutally honest now). I think the best of the worst was something about not being sure whether or not I was a lesbian and needing time to mull it over. Or, "my cat needs me. sorry..."
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'll admit it because a lot of women do it... I once used "that time of the month" as an excuse, haha.... we'd been hanging out for a while and I knew he just was expecting sex that night. I also knew I needed to slow things down, so I used that excuse so he wouldn't want to meet up since he couldn't get what he wanted...

Otherwise, that same guy once cancelled his birthday plans with me because his buddy"Ryan in Glendale" had made plans....Ryan's real name was Susanna (the original girlfriend I didn't know about")... AWESOME!
  • shammxo
    Options
    I'll admit it because a lot of women do it... I once used "that time of the month" as an excuse, haha.... we'd been hanging out for a while and I knew he just was expecting sex that night. I also knew I needed to slow things down, so I used that excuse so he wouldn't want to meet up since he couldn't get what he wanted...

Otherwise, that same guy once cancelled his birthday plans with me because his buddy"Ryan in Glendale" had made plans....Ryan's real name was Susanna (the original girlfriend I didn't know about")... AWESOME!

The dude had specifics... haha. I remember reading once that if someone is really detail oriented when telling you something like this, they're probably lying.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    How about he wrecked his car and couldn't drive us to get sushi.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Ooooo wow!:noway:
  • NCTravellingGirl
    Options
    I got a good one last night. She said her best friend's brother fell off a roof and she had to go with them to the hospital. Now I have no reason not to believer her,...

At first when I read this, it seemed valid, but admittedly thinking about it... eh, it seems to stretch just a little too far unless she's like 20 or something. Most of us don't live with and spend THAT much time with our BFFs, so under normal circumstances, I can't imagine going to the hospital with her for her brother.

Kinda like shammxo said, a little too detailed and specific to sound real whether it is or not . But who says you have to decide?! Besides, as many dates as it seems you've been on lately... move on to the next one :wink:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I've only ever had one guy bail. He was on his way round to me for our second date and he got news that his uncle died! He said he had to go be with his Mum. Fair enough I thought...........

I never heard from him again! :laugh:
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I have given some awful, awful excuses that I wouldn't even put on here. To be fair I've never done it like 15 mins before it's usually like a day or so in advance.

One or two I feel REALLY bad about even now, one I did make it up to because I felt that bad about it, just not as a date.

As for excuses, you can't get past the womans "headache" ;)

I've had a couple though, one said she had slipped on the floor and hurt her arm so she couldn't do any of her makeup and hair and said she looked like a troll without it (attractive..) Another one told me she had a last minute business meeting and she really didn't want to go and the things we could have done instead blahblah, I went out with friends instead and bumped into her hammered with a bunch of girls.. was a little bit awkward til I burst out laughing and gave her a high 5 for effort, end of the day it's a date if they don't want to see you it's better they tell you before you've spent the evening/date with them!
  • slay0r
    Options
    I've only ever had one guy bail. He was on his way round to me for our second date and he got news that his uncle died! He said he had to go be with his Mum. Fair enough I thought...........

I never heard from him again! :laugh:

Oh yeah I had the goddaughter had kidney problems so had to go, text me tomorrow I really want to go out..text her to see how the goddaughter was, got a she's fine thanks, ignored the stuff about another date and didn't ever text me back..fair enough :x

Not a date but 2 weeks ago I was at a festival, I lost a bet so had to go raving in a suit so I looked awesome but I got really muddy, I was absolutely RUINED when I was on my way home and some girl started chatting to me on the metro, got along really well, she's giving me compliments all over the place and playing with her hair and biting her lips etc and asks me for my number..waits 4 days to text me and gives 1 word replies so I stopped, bumped into her today and she's like HEEEEY, why haven't you been texting me?! So I said I'd lost her number since I'd got a new phone and she hadn't replied last time she was like "ohh I'm sorry I've been really busy but I'll text you now so you've got my number" Didn't text me.. whyyy would you bother?!
  • Roadie2000
    Options
    I got a good one last night. She said her best friend's brother fell off a roof and she had to go with them to the hospital. Now I have no reason not to believer her,...

At first when I read this, it seemed valid, but admittedly thinking about it... eh, it seems to stretch just a little too far unless she's like 20 or something. Most of us don't live with and spend THAT much time with our BFFs, so under normal circumstances, I can't imagine going to the hospital with her for her brother.

Kinda like shammxo said, a little too detailed and specific to sound real whether it is or not . But who says you have to decide?! Besides, as many dates as it seems you've been on lately... move on to the next one :wink:
    Well, apparently her BFF lives right across the street, and they live only about 3 blocks from me (there's actually a little bit more to the story).

There is one thing I will ask of the girls of the single peeps though, since you all seem to have experience doing this (lol). When this happens I never bother to contact the girl again and just move on to the next one. I figure I asked her out, she cancelled, if she really wants to hang out she can contact me and suggest a date. They rarely do. I assume they're just not interested. But sometimes I hear that girls like to be pursued, do they really expect us to continue to make an effort after they blow us off?
  • shammxo
    Options

Well, apparently her BFF lives right across the street, and they live only about 3 blocks from me (there's actually a little bit more to the story).

There is one thing I will ask of the girls of the single peeps though, since you all seem to have experience doing this (lol). When this happens I never bother to contact the girl again and just move on to the next one. I figure I asked her out, she cancelled, if she really wants to hang out she can contact me and suggest a date. They rarely do. I assume they're just not interested. But sometimes I hear that girls like to be pursued, do they really expect us to continue to make an effort after they blow us off?

"And just move on to the next one" Love it.

If she is interested, then she will contact you. You don't blow off a guy that you're "really into". And even if she is a girl that likes to be pursued, chances are that it's going to end up being more trouble than it's worth.
  • slay0r
    Options

Interesting.. would like to see a response to that!

Most of the time I'd never contact again unless it was someone's health then I'd just ask if they were ok out of courtesy more than anything. My principle is the same as yours.
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    Do they really expect us to continue to make an effort after they blow us off?

No. At least I don't -- I would be much more likely to get annoyed that you can't take a hint :laugh:

I don't give excuses anymore; I just don't accept dates with people I'm not interested in. Most of the ones I've given in the past are just silly, like my mom needs my help, or my brother just got into town and I never see him (that was when he and I both lived at home :embarassed: )

I've had guys cancel on me because they ask me if I am talking to anyone else (before we've even met!!!). I figure if they're asking, they want to know, so I tell them, and then they get mad at me and cancel because they don't want to be part of a "fan club". I think it's ridiculous. Obviously they're talking to other people as well...
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I assume they're just not interested. But sometimes I hear that girls like to be pursued, do they really expect us to continue to make an effort after they blow us off?

If its BS, then hell no!! Don't bother!

If it's a genuine excuse, then I'd text and ask 'how was your BFF brother'?

I know at this point you dont know if it's genuine or not, so personally, I'd just send that one text and see if you get a response......

Even I texted that guy and asked him how his Mum was.............its the polite thing to do!!

I would be peeved with a guy if I gave an excuse like that and it was genuine, but he didnt even ask me how it turned out. But then again, I would text you after and tell you things were ok, when shall we reschedule?

You call...........but I always tend to go the 'nothing to lose' route......:flowerforyou:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    First, if I really want to go out with a guy, I'm going to do everything within my power to avoid canceling the first date. If an emergency comes up, like my mom is rushed to the hospital, okay, the date is going to have to wait. But I hear stories all the time about someone canceling a date because of really lame reasons, like "I was busy all day, and I'm really tired," or "I have to be at work early tomorrow." That's all BS to me, and I guess it's because when I make a date with someone, that is my priority on that particular day. I will move things around in my schedule, and I will sacrifice an hour or two of sleep to go on a date with someone I really like.

Secondly, if a real emergency interferes with a date and I have to cancel, if I really like him, I am going to apologize profusely and try to reschedule.

I do think people, especially women, are frequently guilty of overanalyzing people's words and actions, but when I feel in my gut like someone is blowing me off, I ask myself "Would you do this to someone you really like?" If the answer is no, I write them off and move on.
  • Roadie2000
    Options
    "And just move on to the next one" Love it.

If she is interested, then she will contact you. You don't blow off a guy that you're "really into". And even if she is a girl that likes to be pursued, chances are that it's going to end up being more trouble than it's worth.
    Well we've never actually met, it was an online thing, so I wouldn't expect her to be "really into" me yet anyway. It's really more of a curiosity thing for me. And it just seems odd to me, I've never canceled on a first date. I figure what's the point of online dating if you're just going to waste time emailing someone just to cancel a date and never make any effort to meet them?
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    What I really don't appreciate or like is when you make a date, and a day or so (or even a few hours) prior to the date you get a text saying they can't make it for some reason and they suggest rescheduling for another date and of course when that new date approaches you get similar behavior - getting strung along SUCKS!
  • NCTravellingGirl
    Options
    If that were to happen to me, I'd reach back out to him myself since I was the one to cancel. You already pursued...you already took the initiative to get things moving!! I do think women love to be pursued, but chasing is another matter, haha...

That said, I'm guessing you're asking the question because you were really interested and would like to reach out but don't want to be that weird guy who doesn't go away in case she really was blowing you off. If that's true... DO IT! No sense sitting here wondering even if there are tons of other women waiting in the wings for your attention online :wink: