Fluctuating TDEE while on reset?

I've decided that I'm going to do the re-set for 8 weeks, and I have a question. My activity level is going to change during the 8 weeks, so I'm guessing I should be changing the calories I eat? For example, I'm finishing up my last 2 weeks of Insanity right now, so my activity level is pretty high. When I'm done I'm going to rest for a week, so obviously I won't be burning nearly as many calories. After that I'm going to do random different things so I don't get bored. Will it mess up my reset if the calories I burn varies so much?

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    If you are going to change your activity for an extended period of time > 2 weeks, then I would think about re-calcing your calories :)

Mike
  • It wouldn't mess up my reset then? What if I change on a weekly basis. One week strenuous exercise, next week sedentary, next week moderate exercise? How would I calculate that? Should I just get a heart rate monitor?
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    It wouldn't mess up my reset then? What if I change on a weekly basis. One week strenuous exercise, next week sedentary, next week moderate exercise? How would I calculate that? Should I just get a heart rate monitor?

One of the most important things about a reset is consistency, so I have a suggestion. Calculate out your tdee for whatever it is that you PLAN to do for the 5 weeks after insanity for your reset. Use that as your tdee/food goal but for the first two weeks make sure you eat back enough calories to get you over BMR by at least 100 cals or so to compensate for the higher exercise. Continue to eat the full tdee for the rest week and for the new exercise plan the following 5 weeks until you are done.

Basically what this will do is minimize the fluctuation to only the eating back of your exercise cals the first couple of weeks. Make sure you have a good way of tracking your calorie burn so that you can log it and watch your NET. And stick as close to possible to the exercise plan you set up for the last 5 weeks. Make sense?
  • It does, thanks! I might just wait until after Insanity to start my reset, but if I start soon I will definitely follow your advice. If I wait until after Insanity should I also wait until after my rest week to keep things more consistent?
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    It does, thanks! I might just wait until after Insanity to start my reset, but if I start soon I will definitely follow your advice. If I wait until after Insanity should I also wait until after my rest week to keep things more consistent?

I don't think you'd have to wait until after your rest week, but make sure you are already eating the tdee you figured out for your reset even though you are on a rest week if that's the week you want to start. I am planning a rest week during my reset at full tdee, but mine is just happening during the last week, whereas yours would be happening during the first week.