Strength training every day versus every other?

Options
marz42
marz42 Posts: 223 Member
I've been doing the weight machine part of the circuit at Planet Fitness, with the machines pretty much set up as high as I can manage and some strength training at home with dumbells or resistance bands. I'm not worried about that causing bulky muscles, I think you really have to work to get that, I just want to be a lot stronger. So most things I read say you should only strength train (any particular muscle area) on every other day not every day. Would there be a downside to doing it every day? I'd like to build up to a higher level faster.

Replies

• DoctorKyrina
    DoctorKyrina Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly an expert, but the reason I had read for every other day is to let your muscles recover a bit. I'd recommend it, as I do notice I can't do as well in an individual workout if I don't have a day (or two if I overdo it) between reworking a muscle. You can rotate upper/lower and do immediate days, but I wouldn't work the same muscle two days in a row. It won't help progress.
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    this is my understanding: muscles are made up of tiny fibres which tear when placed under stress (weight training). These fibres need a chance to repair in order to build more muscle fibres & tissue. If you are placing the same muscles under stress repeatedly, they don't have a chace to repair and get bigger & stronger.
  • isis2triple0
    isis2triple0 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a downside you will not build muscle or gain strength if you train everyday! You are not building the muscles in the gym or acquiring the strength it all happens when you REST! During training you are basically tearing down your muscles so that they will rebuild stronger (supply and demand). If you are new to lifting you will make significant gains in your first one to two years period, so take it easy instead get you a solid lifting split together (Mon=chest and triceps tue=shoulders, legs, and abs, wed=back and biceps) try three sets with a rep range between 8-12 and you should see a significant increase in size and strength. WITH CLEAN HEALTHY EATING! GREAT BODIES ARE MADE IN THE KITCHEN NOT THE GYM!!!! Good luck now go get it!!