Please help!

Options
aprueitt
aprueitt Posts: 91 Member
I have friends that have lost a lot of weight doing low carb. It's not Atkins or anything they eat 150 carbs a day. I can do this I am just unsure what I can and can not eat. Some say anything as long as you don't go over that amount and the calories will balance its self. Others say you can't have wheat bread, oatmeal, potatoes ect. I don't know what to eat to eat that many carbs. Any suggestions?

Replies

• busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    150g carbs a day is not a low carb diet.

start by educating yourself, go to paleo sites like marksdailyapple.

experiment with your own macros, lowering the carbs to 100, then to 50 and see how your body responds. I do about 30 g to 50 g carbs, but only depending on how much exercise I am doing. I may need to eat up to 3k calories on a heavy day, so 50 g carbs in a 2500 to 3k calorie day is still low.

Also, make sure you are low glycemic index. Low carb is supposed to be low glycemic index too if you are doing it to lose body fat and get into fat burning mode. If you have hypoglycemia, eliminate all sugar, starch from the diet and get gymnema supplementation! Expect a carb flu as you go thru sugar withdrawls.

best wishes.
  • aprueitt
    Options
    Thank you I think I will start off with 100. I am not hypoglycemic so is it ok to eat starch as long as it is with my carb range?
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    it won't get you into ketosis, but you might lose weight anyway.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thank you I think I will start off with 100. I am not hypoglycemic so is it ok to eat starch as long as it is with my carb range?

What is your carb range? How did you come up with the number 100? You should read up more on the method that gave you that number, and eat the foods that method recommends.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    150g carbs a day is not a low carb diet.

In our practices, there are some patients who follow 150g because what they were originally taking in would be the equivalent of 300-350g of carbohydrates, mostly from the 'white' family of breads, pastas, rice, corn, etc... Having them go to 150 would be considered a low-carb intake/diet...

It depends on what you normally took in versus what you are targeting to take in.

To be honest, a lower carb intake for me, I found rather easy to follow because it was mainly doing the research first before putting anything in my meals...

Calorie King is a website that our Endocrinology Dept shares with patients. They even give their patients the CK pocket book guide as well. (which is helpful for those on a budget). Check it out at www.calorieking.com - you can change the serving portion of any food and you will then get the full breakdown of the nutritional information AND it includes a list of exercises you would need in order to burn that food off...

You can get your healthier carbohydrate intakes from fresh vegetables, fruits in a limited portion daily (berries are a good choice)
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have to agree. 150 could be low carb for some people. Before I was eating 250 carbs a day... So I am keeping it under 100 for the time being. Although, it's been easy to keep it under 50 net once i quit eating lbs of watermelon a day. I do have to say - my bootcamp instructor tells us that every 7-10 days we should give ourselves a break and have a "cheat day." He also mentions that fasting the day after a cheat day is something he will do once in awhile, too. I have found that after a cheat day I feel like pure crap, and that fast really makes me see how horribly i was eating!

Anyway, I rambled. If you're overweight and you're eating a megaton of carbs, cutting to 150 could be low carb for you - although you will probably see better results if you cut it even lower. :)
  • aprueitt
    Options
    Thank you so much..this helps me a lot
  • aprueitt
    Options
    I am staying around 75-100 most days..not eating the whites, pasta ect. I find it hard to go over that. I have lost
    13lbs in 8 weeks. I guess that's not to bad. It's just slow go for me. Thanks for you help I really appreciate it.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    as long as you are losing that is what counts!