A Different Way of Calculating... what do you think?

Options
michellekicks
michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
So because my workouts are kind of all over the board, I like to eat more on the days I work out and less on the days I don't. I also find the desire to eat more is somewhat of an incentive to get out and move my butt... so here's how I've been calculating the calories I should eat...

I've tracked calories burned every day for almost 2 months (8 weeks) and I have burned an average of 527 calories daily (averaged out over rest days too) during that time. So, my scooby calculations come out as follows (with 5-6hrs/week strenuous and a 20% cut) to:

BMR: 1501
TDEE: 2590
CUT 20%: 2202

If I subtract my daily average exercise burn from my cut, I get the amount I should aim to net before exercise:

2202-527 = 1675

So then 1675 becomes the base amount I need to net. It's over my BMR so I can eat that on rest days, and then when I add exercise to it and eat back all my exercise calories I end up with an average intake of my cut amount over the course of a week. This is why, if we're friends on here, I log all my exercise with the actual calories burned and then eat them back even though I'm doing EM2WL.

What do you think about doing things this way? I just find if I try and eat 2200 every single day without changing things up it's more than I need some days and not enough on my long run days and such. I think I prefer to look at averages over the course of a week.

Thoughts?

Edit to say: Sorry, that's a 15% cut. Not 20.

Replies

• vatblack
    vatblack Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a plan, but I am not one of the experts. Personally, for myself, that is too confusing. What I like about EM2WL is that I can aim for the same amount everyday.
  • Joysuzhou
    Joysuzhou Posts: 29
    Options
    I think it evens out overtime. Also it helps with a consistant meal plan rather than having to change meal plan all the time.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    That's kinda what "New Rules" suggests in the book. I don't care for math, so keeping it simple, I'll just stick with a 300 cal cut.