Am I on the right track?

lambertj
lambertj Posts: 675 Member
I am currently not sure what direction to go and thought i'd see if anyone had some thoughts. My stats are as follows: 46 yrs young, 5' 4" tall and going back and forth between 125-127 currently. Each time my weight has teetered on the same few pounds I have upped my calories. This time, in looking at my numbers and time constraints of summer, I think I'd rather cut out one cardio day per week (usually a 500 calories burn) and I'm wondering if this would be equal to a calories jump.

I get a good cardio burn in on Saturday and Sunday and one day per week, plus two 15 minutes sessions on weight training days (Tues and Thursday). I weight train three days a week. My dream goal weight is 120 however with that being said, my true goal is to build muscle and to burn off a little more fat. I place my TDEE at 1956 (fat2fit) and I eat at 1700 every day regardless of a workout. Am I on the right track here?

Replies

• KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Hi!

Do I understand correctly that you work out 6/7 days of the week?

If thats the case, then you need to eat 1884 every day at least. Thats on a 15% deficit which is good as you are so close to goal! Even 10% might be more beneficial for you, and that number is 1995.
    So you might be eating too little and your body needs that extra to push it for further fat loss.
    Ive heard plenty times how ladies lost that last 5lbs when they started eating a bit more!

Worth a try?
    :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    My work out has been as follows:

500 calorie cardio burn on Saturday with full leg weight training day.
    500 calories cardio burn only on Sunday and Monday.
    Small calorie burn (around 130) on Tuesday and chest and triceps weight training day.
    500 calorie cardio burn on Wednesday only
    Small calorie burn (around 130) on Thursday and back and biceps weight training day.

Eating at 1700 is around a 13% cut off my TDEE of 1956. I am thinking the same thing you are, that I could eat at around 1800 at my current level of activity however, I'd rather continue to eat at 1700 and just cut out one 500 calories burn cardio day (Wednesday).

Could this, should this, achieve the same result?
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Yes I think that it could and Ive found through personal experience that rest days does wonders for you!

But if you work out 5-6 hours per week your activity is not Moderate, but Very Active, so keep that in mind.

Also - too much cardio is counteractive with weight training...your muscles dont get the needed fuel and nutrients to get stronger and grow like it should as the cardio steals it. Think about cutting your cardio more too if its an option.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Yes I think that it could and Ive found through personal experience that rest days does wonders for you!

But if you work out 5-6 hours per week your activity is not Moderate, but Very Active, so keep that in mind.

Also - too much cardio is counteractive with weight training...your muscles dont get the needed fuel and nutrients to get stronger and grow like it should as the cardio steals it. Think about cutting your cardio more too if its an option.

I agree with this ^^

I recently started doing crossfit 3x week and prior to crossfit i went to the gym 6x week... i now take at least 2 rest days, sometimes 3 and see more improvement...

also DEFINITELY agree wth the cardio thing.... i did cardio with weights and seen like no improvement beuase i undid my hard work from weights with cardio... if your diet is on point and u lift HEAVY, in my opinion u dont need cardio. the only cardio i do is whatever is incoporated into my crossfit workouts