Scooby Workshop Question

ouandi
ouandi Posts: 135 Member
So if I go to the Scooby Website and input my numbers it gives my BMR as 1328. If I go to their "Accurate Calorie Calculator" link and input my numbers it gives my BMR as 1474 or something even higher.

First, I'm wondering why the numbers are so different when the input is the same? Why do they even give you the first option when it's supposedly not as accurate.

Second, I know my actual BMR through oxygen consumption testing, it is 1478. So I should use the calculator for TDEE and daily calories from the calculator that give me the closest BMR to my actual, correct?

Thanks! I'm trying not to overthink it but the difference is 300+ calories!

Replies

• TonyaBtrfly
    TonyaBtrfly Posts: 118 Member
    Bump* :drinker:
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    So if I go to the Scooby Website and input my numbers it gives my BMR as 1328. If I go to their "Accurate Calorie Calculator" link and input my numbers it gives my BMR as 1474 or something even higher.

First, I'm wondering why the numbers are so different when the input is the same? Why do they even give you the first option when it's supposedly not as accurate.

Second, I know my actual BMR through oxygen consumption testing, it is 1478. So I should use the calculator for TDEE and daily calories from the calculator that give me the closest BMR to my actual, correct?

Hello!

When using the accurate calorie cal, you need your BF% (professional measure). For the most part, when using the Katch McCardle or the other BF% calc, it takes into account the amount of LBM to determine a BMR. This can vary from person to person. However, it does NOT take into account fat. Fat is not metabolically inert. So if you are not close to goal weight, this will not be accurate.

The normal calc give you a BMR that is based upon averages and includes an average of fat and lbm in the equation. It may be lower as it think you have less lbm based upon averages.

For most people who have lots of weight to lose, the normal Calorie Calc is the way to go.

If you are close to goal weight, and have your professional accurate BF% than the Katch-McCardle, "Worlds most accurate calc" is the way to go.

Mike
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Yes, I know my BF% from calipers. It's 29.2%. And I have a huge amount of LBM hence my BMR is a bit higher than average. Just trying to get my stubborn BF to 22-24%.

Hello!

When using the accurate calorie cal, you need your BF% (professional measure). For the most part, when using the Katch McCardle or the other BF% calc, it takes into account the amount of LBM to determine a BMR. This can vary from person to person. However, it does NOT take into account fat. Fat is not metabolically inert. So if you are not close to goal weight, this will not be accurate.

The normal calc give you a BMR that is based upon averages and includes an average of fat and lbm in the equation. It may be lower as it think you have less lbm based upon averages.

For most people who have lots of weight to lose, the normal Calorie Calc is the way to go.

If you are close to goal weight, and have your professional accurate BF% than the Katch-McCardle, "Worlds most accurate calc" is the way to go.

Mike
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787

Hello!

Mike

bump Tks Mike