"The Bloat"

So I have to admit that I have been very lucky since starting my reset 3 1/2 weeks ago. At the beginning I felt a bit uncomfortable and had some bloating, but that went away in a matter of a day or two. Since the start I have been eating at TDEE according to my Fitbit. I have averaged about 100 cal under to 100 cal over TDEE for the week for 3 weeks in a row. During that time my weight has been fluctuating a pound or two, but I haven't actually gained or lost (sort of the point, right?).

Now for this week: Starting on Monday I got the bloat I hear everyone talking about. I look like I am 6 months pregnant, I have a sharp pain in my side, and I feel so full I have to force myself to eat anything. Currently I am up 4 pounds from Sunday. Now clearly I know this is not actual weight gain because I haven't eaten 14,000 extra calories it would take to accumulate, but boy does it hurt to button my pants! Some mornings I wake up fine, but by the afternoon I am miserable. Other days (like today) I wake up feeling miserable.

My question is: Has anyone else had "the bloat" start this far into their EM2WL journey? I was expecting it at the beginning, but I certainly was not expecting it to be this bad 3 1/2 weeks in.

I am asking because I have recently been diagnosed with some vitamin deficiencies and Fibromyalgia and right before I started my reset I started taking heavy doses of vitamins. I am trying to figure out if it is my reset causing the bloat or the vitamins. Other than that, my habits have not changed at all.

Thanks you fabulous people!!

~Melissa~

Replies

• agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Did you add anything back into your diet that you had removed?
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Did you add anything back into your diet that you had removed?

Nope. Diet has remained constant.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    So I have to admit that I have been very lucky since starting my reset 3 1/2 weeks ago. At the beginning I felt a bit uncomfortable and had some bloating, but that went away in a matter of a day or two. Since the start I have been eating at TDEE according to my Fitbit. I have averaged about 100 cal under to 100 cal over TDEE for the week for 3 weeks in a row. During that time my weight has been fluctuating a pound or two, but I haven't actually gained or lost (sort of the point, right?).

Now for this week: Starting on Monday I got the bloat I hear everyone talking about. I look like I am 6 months pregnant, I have a sharp pain in my side, and I feel so full I have to force myself to eat anything. Currently I am up 4 pounds from Sunday. Now clearly I know this is not actual weight gain because I haven't eaten 14,000 extra calories it would take to accumulate, but boy does it hurt to button my pants! Some mornings I wake up fine, but by the afternoon I am miserable. Other days (like today) I wake up feeling miserable.

My question is: Has anyone else had "the bloat" start this far into their EM2WL journey? I was expecting it at the beginning, but I certainly was not expecting it to be this bad 3 1/2 weeks in.

I am asking because I have recently been diagnosed with some vitamin deficiencies and Fibromyalgia and right before I started my reset I started taking heavy doses of vitamins. I am trying to figure out if it is my reset causing the bloat or the vitamins. Other than that, my habits have not changed at all.

~Melissa~

Hello,

If everything has been consistent then I do not think it would be because of the diet.

Water retention is also a sign of inflammation. Have you hurt yourself at all? Over trained?
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Perhaps monitor wheat/gluten? There may be days that are higher in wheat or gluten perhaps causing some swellin / bloating?
  • mturgeon05
    Hello,

If everything has been consistent then I do not think it would be because of the diet.

Water retention is also a sign of inflammation. Have you hurt yourself at all? Over trained?

You know, I thought of this as well. The pain in my right side was the first indication that maybe my body was trying to heal something. I definitely don't think I have over-trained. I started the BodyRock.tv 30 day challenge on Monday, so maybe the change in routine? Before BodyRock I did NROL4W after not lifting for 2 years and didn't experience anything like this. I am constantly changing up my workouts, so I wouldn't expect that to be it.
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    I'm definitely one that experienced on and off bloating through the first 10 weeks of eating more. I started raising cals slowly until I got up to tdee -15% and then stayed there for 4-5 weeks before going to full reset (I'm on my 4th week now). It wasn't until my 3rd week of reset that the bloat completely disappeared. (it waxed and waned, but was never really gone before). I got it back really bad for TOM this past week and now it's dissipating again. I think it can depend as well on your diet history and how your body reacts during the process, but definitely look into some of the other things people have mentioned if you are concerned about it.
  • Vespyr
    Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
    I'm finishing up my third week and I've been pretty bloated this week. My diet has been off though. If your belly is quite swollen sounds more like gas buildup, as well as the pain. I got this really bad when I over did the artificial sweetners. You could try gas X if you're super uncomfortable.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member

~Melissa~

Hello,

Ooh, fiveohmike, has a great point. Sometimes you'll bloat because of exercise in addition to food. Though my bloat has arrived early on, I know some of it is from the exercising that I'm doing. Drink lots of water and hang in there!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    I also experienced the on and off bloating thing. However, I also notice that sugar, dairy, and wheat are big triggers for bloating for me.
  • mamacita903
    mamacita903 Posts: 13 Member
    I have also been bloating VERY badly since raising my calories. its fluctuating - but anywhere between 6-9 lbs (bloated 6 lbs within 2 days of raising to TDEE) I know this is mostly if not all water, but it has been 3-4 weeks now and has become especially uncomfortable the past 2 days. I know this is probably a combo of metabolism reset, eating more healthy carbs, some excess sodium, and I also do intense strength training twice a week. The strength training on its own would cause me to go up 2 lbs for a day or so after each session in the past. I understand fluctuations are normal, but I am retaining so badly right now that I am desperate for some insight. As much as I "understand" water retention, I was down 22 lbs, and so now seeing the scale anywhere from 6-9 lbs higher for this many weeks is pretty disheartening. I have been able to wear some smaller pants that didn't fit a month or so ago, even with all of the bloat. but again VERY uncomfortable....suggestions besides more water? I have upped my water again (even though I feel so full) and that helped some. I'm guessing based off of all the posts this is "normal" for some people? Thanks in advance
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    I have been experiencing the bloat again!

I just started my 5th week into reset and noticed towards the end of week 4 I was feeling all bloated again and my clothes even tighter :grumble:

In the beginning it was easier to handle because I thought that was the initiation and it would be over and I move on. I didn't realize it would come back! I am really ready for the 8 weeks to be over and I get to cut, I feel terrible. Its harder mentally this time than it was in the beginning.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 306 Member
    I am in the same Bloat Boat. It is uncomfortable and depressing. I'm trying very low carb for a few days to see if it works. The scale has been decommissioned.
  • mturgeon05
    Interesting to see that it is happening to others so far along in the process. I will say that mine finally went away after 5 days, but it sure was a miserable 5 days. Nothing helped it so I just had to stick it out. Good luck!
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Ive slowly upped my calories when i started maintanance mode. Now i am eating at my BMR again and eating exercise calories back and feel soo full and bloated. Im struggling today to finish eating all my calories. Its nice to hear im not the only one having this problem