New to Keto

Options
Hello All,

I have just recently heard about Keto and I definitely want to try it. I've been stuck now for a while and I've read lots of good things about keto so I figured I'd give it a try. There isn't a great website on it (maybe it's user error), but I can't seem to find a good resource website on it. So I saw this group and decided to join.

Can anyone share information or websites I can check out to get me started on keto?

Thanks!!
Ivy

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree the information on Keto is few and far between. Most of my information I found on reddit and a friend who actually was recommened to eat this way by a doctor :)

You might have to look under atkins/ induction etc if you want to find out more information on the diet. Most of the information I found was low carb/atkins information but very few things on keto its self :(!
  • Karenab1505
    Options
    Hi,

This site give me quite a bit of info, and is written by a Doctor, there are also some useful links. I started this new lifestyle 3 weeks ago, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'm losing weight without starving myself. My diary is public, if you want to take a look at the type of meals I've been having. I don't have any major cravings for carbs, but there are some carb foods I really like, and I want them more from habit, than actual craving. I keep an eye on my protein (you must get enough protein for your muscles), and my carb less fibre I try to have under 20g per day. Calories are only important, if you go way over your BMR, base metabolic rate. Exercise for this lifestyle is more about toning your muscles, rather than hard cardiovascular. You can still do cardiovascular, but once you're body is adjusted to using fat rather than carbs for energy, then a few 10-15 min sessions is enough.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!!! I don't really know about websites for keto but I'm pretty sure Atkins induction will start you off in the right direction:) . You can visit the Atkins website for how to do it .it pretty much under twenty g carbs to get into ketosis and under fifty to stay in it . Thatsjust ballpark numbers though don't quote me. It's brutal the first three days to one week as your body switches from burning carbs to burning fat... But trust me it's worth it low carb has changed my body and my life I couldn't be happier:) hopefully someone can help answer your question...
  • danielg810
    danielg810 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yes, one interesting source i found for those having trouble getting into ketosis is here

http://www.low-carb.com/atarfatfa.html

Dr.Atkins recommends the fat fast for people having difficulty getting into ketosis. It works very fast. Basically its a 1000 cal diet where all you eat for the day is a brick of cream cheese and a helping of macadamia nuts.

Personally, for a less intense version I'd do a slightly higher cal intake with many early-in-the-day calories coming from sources like coconut oil, palm oil, or macadamia nuts. After this, a long low intensity cardio session mid-day should get some slight fat burning effects and later in the day food sources w more protein like cheese and eggs are great to help feed muscles a bit with enough fat to help get you into ketosis faster.