burnt out - can't do it anymore

bethad5
bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
so I'll be through two weeks of reset this Sunday. I've been eating my TDEE, 2655, each day (and going over occasionally with cereal binges, yikes) and since starting the reset I've been bloated and felt awful. I also have no motivation or energy for my workouts. They are completely lackluster and I have to force myself to go to the gym and actually complete them.

I'm currently set at 5-6 hours of strenuous activity. Prior to eating more, I did the elliptical for an hour a day 7 days a week. I know rest days are important and now take at least one rest day a week. I would like to take two rest days and do the elliptical for an hour 5 days a week, but I'm worried that that won't keep me in the current activity level I'm in. I also want to incorporate strength training but I'm worried that replacing some of my cardio wth Jillian Michael's 30 day shred won't count as 'strenuous'. Really, I just kind of have a hard time believing I fit in this acitivy level anyway, but I know undereating is worse than overeating when resetting....

I don't know. Getting to the gym is a struggle and it never was before. My pants are tight and uncomfortable. Before I started eating more, I never had an issue going to the gym 7 days a week, sometimes twice a day. Shouldn't this be the opposite? Shouldn't I be more energized NOW that I'm eating more compared to before??

What do I do? Because at this point I want to just give up. Can I replace some cardio with 30DS or is that not 'strenuous' enough? I have the NROLFW book but am worried about starting it since I have weight to lose (I've gained 8 pounds since eating more, and who knows how much since bumping up to full TDEE. When I started I was 3 pounds from goal, now I'm 11 + todayitfeelslike20poundsextra). I would rather get through the reset, do the cut, and start NROFLW in August (hopefully I'll be in the cut and seeing results by then).

Not sure I can do this...

Replies

• tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Read Jbella's recent post and all the replies to her. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/642110-ready-to-give-up

She is at the same point you are. I think reading the responses will help you. Hang in there!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    What came to mind when I read this, was that if eating this much is making you nutty, and you're afraid to stick to strenuous...maybe lower your exercise and your TDEE will in turn lower...meaning you won't need that much food. I would also switch it up...I would personally die from boredom doing the elliptical 6-7s a week. Try a group ex class, sometimes the energy in the room will really help lift you up! Plus switching it up helps the weight loss!
  • bethad5
    What came to mind when I read this, was that if eating this much is making you nutty, and you're afraid to stick to strenuous...maybe lower your exercise and your TDEE will in turn lower...meaning you won't need that much food. I would also switch it up...I would personally die from boredom doing the elliptical 6-7s a week. Try a group ex class, sometimes the energy in the room will really help lift you up! Plus switching it up helps the weight loss!

I just thought the whole point was about being consistent- so won't lowering my activity level and going to the next lower TDEE screw up the consistency?
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    The key is that your net calories stay consistent. I would not change anything too crazy with your calories though. This is my second attempt at a reset, and this one is going so much better because I've really been focused on consistency. I keep repeating to myself, I cant know if it works unless I stay consistent. My first attempt at a reset was a nightmare. I was really struggling with the bingeing on carbs, so I hear ya there, loud and clear. Its hard when you're metabolism is firing up and you get sooo hungry. If at all possible, my recommendation to you is to get the foods that trigger binges out of your house and try to really clean up your diet. I'm convinced its not all about calories in vs. calories out, but the quality of your food will dramatically impact the quality of your reset. I speak from personal experience.
    The first couple weeks are hard, it does get easier after that. This is my fourth week of the reset, and I'm only up about a pound. I've been blogging about it at: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/momofmyfivekids. Just might help to show you some of the natural phases most people go through when starting a reset. Hang in there. I've heard some amazing success stories out there that started with a reset, and even though its hard some days, we gotta trust the process and the science behind it rather than our feelings!
    :)
  • bethad5
    The key is that your net calories stay consistent. I would not change anything too crazy with your calories though. This is my second attempt at a reset, and this one is going so much better because I've really been focused on consistency. I keep repeating to myself, I cant know if it works unless I stay consistent. My first attempt at a reset was a nightmare. I was really struggling with the bingeing on carbs, so I hear ya there, loud and clear. Its hard when you're metabolism is firing up and you get sooo hungry. If at all possible, my recommendation to you is to get the foods that trigger binges out of your house and try to really clean up your diet. I'm convinced its not all about calories in vs. calories out, but the quality of your food will dramatically impact the quality of your reset. I speak from personal experience.
    The first couple weeks are hard, it does get easier after that. This is my fourth week of the reset, and I'm only up about a pound. I've been blogging about it at: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/momofmyfivekids. Just might help to show you some of the natural phases most people go through when starting a reset. Hang in there. I've heard some amazing success stories out there that started with a reset, and even though its hard some days, we gotta trust the process and the science behind it rather than our feelings!
    :)

so should I keep on keepin' on with the 5-6 hours of hour-long elliptical sessions? or can I somehow start NROFLW and still keep enough cardio to keep me in the 5-6 hour category?
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    If I were you, I think I would do NROLFW, followed by a short session of HIIT on the elliptical.
  • bethad5
    If I were you, I think I would do NROLFW, followed by a short session of HIIT on the elliptical.

from what I understand, NROFLW is only 25-30 minutes? So 3 workouts a week of that would only be about an hour and a half - meaning I'd have to have 3.5 additional hours of exercise? Isn't the point of HIIT to be short and sweet? Even at just half an hour a time, to make 3.5 hours I'd have to do it every day...

I don't mean to attack you back with these questions, I just honestly don't know what to do!!
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    I too would do NROL4W, you can figure out how much your TDEE changes and adjust. I love it and have done it for 6 weeks. I will say though, I have NOT lost weight, I have lost inches which I am happy about but NO WEIGHT loss. So keep that in mind if you are concerned with the scale. If you just want to be smaller then for sure lift heavy :)
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    I think the biggest problem/question here that you need to answer first is this:

What do you want to sustain for your workout schedule when you are at goal weight/size? Pick a plan that YOU like, that you feel is sustainable for the rest of your life (it can vary later on from time to time, but what you want here is your BASE workout plan). It doesn't matter what it is, (but lifting is definitely encouraged in there somewhere) and then work out your TDEE accordingly. You are only 2 weeks into your reset, so a slight change at this point will not be the end of the world. It's not ideal, but it is also not a deal breaker. You will be fine.

Just decide what you want and do it. Sometimes we start off with some of our old habits because we thought we HAD to do it that way...but this is about finding what works for you and your schedule, life, loves and interests. :happy:

We don't want to see you changing things up too much during a reset but this one time 'adjustment' should be fine and if you feel you need to add a couple of weeks on to your reset at the end, then decide then. What might happen here if you don't decide on a workable exercise plan and make adjustments, is that you'll just not be able to do the one you have now anyways and that's gonna mess things up worse. make sense?

So take a day, figure out what you want to do, reset your numbers and start loving your routine again. :flowerforyou:
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    I agree with pp. Don't give up. It's hard and two weeks is not enough to see where you are standing.

Pick exercises you like and enjoy and as pp said is sustainable for you even you are at your goal.

We will help you through, just stay strong