Tips for C25K-ers

Options
aimeeinohio
aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
I thought I'd post the tips I had here on it's own, so if anyone wants to read, it's easier to find. This is what I've learned after trying C25K about 2 years ago and quitting due to hurting myself...and from restarting this time around. I hope it helps!

1. Never be afraid to repeat days or even weeks. I had to take over a week off due to horrible shin splints. I went back to the previous week's last day and am doing that day all week this week...just to get back into the groove. I have repeated entire weeks before.

2. If at all possible, stay off the sidewalks. I have two options, living in the city- sidewalk or asphalt. I was trying to do everyone a favor by staying on the sidewalks, and about KILLED my legs. I ended up in so much pain. Asphalt is softer and has more 'give' than concrete.

3. Do the 'talk test'. I run alone, but I have my tunes blasting, so when I start feeling winded, I try to sing along. if I can't sing along, I slow down. The idea is that you should be able to carry on a conversation.

4. Always remember- you are building stamina NOT speed. Speed comes later.

5. If you're jogging and it feels too hard/you can't breathe/something hurts, SLOW THE HECK DOWN! Still can't breathe? SLOW DOWN SOME MORE!!! Yes, you will probably feel like you're not doing any more than walking, but trust me, you ARE!!!

6. SHOES are so very important. Even if you just buy a pair at the department store- make sure they are labeled RUNNING shoes not cross trainers or walking shoes. Your legs will thank you.

7. Stretch- before and after. And if you have the slightest hint of shin pain, ICE ICE BABY!!

8. If you're using a smart phone (I'm an iPhone girl), use the free C25k app- there are a few- I use the Zen labs app and it's fantastic. Also, get yourself a pedometer/gps type app. The one I have, I tried the free version for a month and then upgraded and paid the $2.99 for the full version. It tells me my average speed, my current speed, how long I've been out, how far I'v gone, and calories burned. I can also look back at the last 30 days and see my progressLOVE it.

9. For those worried about how they look- I am fat. I also have rosacea (so rosy cheeks all the time, which becomes 'someone-has-beat-the-hell-out-of-me-red' very quickly), and I'm kind of goofy looking to boot. Put your tunes on and don't worry!! Frankly, most people would be in awe of you for even trying!!!

10. Have fun. Don't hurt yourself. Don't push yourself to injury. Repeat weeks and/or days. Wear good shoes, have good tunes, and have fun!!!

Replies

• LunaMischief
    LunaMischief Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm starting C25K tomorrow - thank you for the great tips! :drinker:
  • bradybugsmom
    Options
    I officially started today and appreciate the tips! I wouldn't have given a thought to asphalt vs. concrete... I'm new to running. I have a pedometer on my ipod nano and downloaded the Chubby Jones C25K podcasts. I had a VERY hard time today but am going to stick with it!
  • sheismith
    sheismith Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I just started Week One. This is my third time starting C25K. I had stop because I hurt my knee. One of the things I didn't consider is repeating days/weeks. This time around I'm taking this advice and working on building stamina.
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    love this!
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Congrats to the new starters!!! You can do it!! :o)
  • serdesto
    serdesto Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm on week four. I started with a lot of shin pain but not anymore. I do have a track near me but prefer running on concrete. Track gives me more shin pain... is anybody else like that?