Protein - How much is too Much

JayBeeGo
JayBeeGo Posts: 33 Member
Every site I'm inclined to take notice of seem to recommend around 15% protein : 45% to 65 % Carbs : 25% to 35% fat.
IIRC MFP set mine at 15%, 55% and 30% respectively.
These values I suspect are on the assumption, correct in my case, that many engage in little or no exercise.

Whenever the subject is raised on MFP most responses, even for someone inactive, are that 15% is too low and that a higher figure is appropriate. Like many others I find keeping down to 15% protein quite difficult which I can't help thinking influences some of the responses.

Is my scepticism or perhaps cynicism justified or is 15% somewhere around the correct value.

Replies

• jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Many bodybuilding experts recommend a protein level that is .80 to 1.5 times your body weight....depending on if you are trying to maintain or build muscle mass. You can work out what that number is, and then see what percent it is of your total recommended calories.

For me, under this model, I eat 135 grams of protein (1 x my body weight), which is then multiplied by 4 calories per gram of protein. The result of 540 calories is then divided by 1500 (my daily calorie goal) to give 36% protein.

I hope this helps.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    I have no idea but I noticed the Mayo Clinic site recommends around 50g a day which is about what I hit so I'm not going to worry about it.