Figuring out my calories

chellebubblz
chellebubblz Posts: 84 Member
I just want to be sure I have this right, so I don't mess up any progress.

My weigh in Sunday was 243, I'm 5'3 and 31 y/o. I do Turbo Jam M-F, 40 minutes of it a day. 30 Day Shred 6 days a week, and a Biggest Loser DVD (60 minutes) 1 day a week. The last day is family day so I skip a workout but we usually spend it walking around the mall or grocery store or whatever, still an active day just less intense. I am a stay at home mom, so the rest of the day is spent taking care of the baby and cleaning the house. So I'm not quite sure what category this falls under. I've been using moderate but I don't know if I've over or underestimating the activity level at all.

It tells me BMR is 1683, so that means I should never eat under that amount right? Then TDEE is 2904 and TDEE-15 is 2468. So does this mean that I should be eating 2400 calories a day? That's what I've been assuming, but I am finding it very difficult to do so. I average around 1700 calories a day and the most I can get seems to be 1900. Will that hold me back from losing? Or am I okay as long as I stay over 1683? If I really NEED to eat more, is there any advice for that? Like small things that add up? I already do spoonful of natural PB for sweet tooth, and drink a glass of milk etc if I find I'm lacking calories. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Replies

• azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    1700-1900 might be a bit low if you're exercising that intensely. If you can, I would try to swap out three of those cardio workouts for strength training, first off; this will help raise your metabolism over time.

As far as getting enough calories, two things: make sure you're eating enough protein, especially if you do begin strength training, and don't be afraid of good fats: olive oil, coconut oil, even butter. Saturated fat is not the demon that it had been thought to be for so long.