what do you do to bring down a high?

Options
chipper15173
chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
last A1C was 5.6. i was taken off victoza just over a week ago (14th). have been doing great. keeping up with my eating, exercise the whole nine yards. than yesterday i woke with a 122 reading. sometimes i did wake with a higher number. i did eat pasta the night before, also took some benadryl nothing else caught my attention about it. than as the morning wore on i began to feel dizzy, light headed, blurry vision, upset stomach. check my numbers again 167. continued all day with checking 1-2 hours after eating before eating. they ranged from 167 to 114. for me these are high numbers. this morning they were 122 again. already have the blurry vision, little dizzy. i can't figure out what could be causing these readings. i don't want to go back on the victoza again. i figure i will give myself through the weekend to see if maybe it's just my body reacting to no meds. than call my doctor on monday.
what do you do to bring down a high?
thanks

Replies

• NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    Coming down with either a viral or bacterial infection will raise glucose levels for everybody, even non-diabetics. Diabetics get a warning before symptoms set in because we test.
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Open up your diet and I can have a look.

Try more fiber, or some fat, like nuts or avocado, that slows my digestions and lowers my spikes.

I have only been dealing with this for the last month. My A1C is similar to you for the last year. But my morning readings were 90-120, with spikes up to 140 and I could not get them down with exercise, diet and weight loss. I tried really hard with diet, exercise and weight loss and just could not change this.

So I started taking Metformin for the last month, and my morning readings are consistent 75-90. But I kept getting spikes, especially at lunch, almost every day, up to 165.

So added Janumet two weeks ago, and since then all readings are below 110, with a few up to 120. So, I pretty much have to stay on these two medications.

Unless you have side effects, consider going back on medication. And if you had side effects, try different medication. I have no side effects from the medication, and the long term implications of high glucose worry me much more than taking medication long term.
  • anaussie
    anaussie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Your numbers aren't too bad.
    Don't panic.
    An hour or two of brisk walk help lower my numbers.
  • chipper15173
    Options
    thanks...
    i am a 6 yr diabetic. my numbers never run like these. for me, these are high numbers. i was taken off victoza because i haven't had an A1C over 6 in the last 4 years. i have lost a good amount of weight. i eat healthy. i don't log on here to show what i eat. i am following a different plan. i eat well, lots of fruits and veggies. whole grains, lean meats. my LDL is only 62. doctor would like to see it at least 80. this is just strange and not normal for ME.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you're eating but maybe higher fiber, lower carb, less fruit, more veg, higher fat. Strenuous exercise, I've found that walking has a mild effect on my BG, running has a big effect.

Other than that, it may be that you just need to be on drugs. The goal is to have controlled BG. If it requires drugs, so be it. I was never really overweight, I was very active and I was 34 when I was diagnosed. I have always had to take metformin. I can no longer control it with just met. I'm now on Amaryl. We'll see how that goes but I'd rather be on insulin since I'm always chasing the Amaryl with carbs, albeit mostly fruit carbs. While it's nice to feel that you are so successful that you don't need drugs that is sometimes not possible and has nothing to do with how well you take care of yourself.

I would give it a little longer to see if your body and you can find a way to make it work and if you can't then go back on the drugs. They were working well for you. It is not a sign you haven't worked hard, it just means something in your body is not working right.
  • teacherspet50
    Options
    AFter I have a cortison inkection in my knees, I will spike as high as 593 --- yea scary. So what I have been told to do, is drink water till you think you are going to swim. Also, a couple of 15 minute walks if you are able to do so...will help too. I didn't feel any different at 593 as I do at 150----but could tell after it came down that I had a high that was not good for me, it was like a drinking binge almost.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Chipper, sorry I can't help since I've never had a hyper. I trust you find the cause quickly and are able to take appropriate action. Kepping you in my thoughts and prayers.
  • chipper15173
    Options
    thanks everyone. just goes to show how different we are with numbers and how this "thing" has a mind of it's own. my before dinner number was 84. just don't get it. DH said maybe because of the medication always keeping nice and low. that normal is really a high for me. my body just has to adjust to no medication. that makes sense to me. i will call my nurse and ask her what this could have been. glad to be feeling better and nice low numbers again.
  • anaussie
    Options
    this "thing" has a mind of it's own.

the medication always keeping nice and low.

body just has to adjust to no medication.

that makes sense to me.

Makes perfect sense to me. Your anxiety was unnecessary and unjustified. You'll have to get used to slight fluctuations. And congratulations for getting off the medications.

:flowerforyou:
  • anaussie
    Options
    AFter I have a cortison inkection in my knees, I will spike as high as 593 --- yea scary. So what I have been told to do, is drink water till you think you are going to swim. Also, a couple of 15 minute walks if you are able to do so...will help too. I didn't feel any different at 593 as I do at 150----but could tell after it came down that I had a high that was not good for me, it was like a drinking binge almost.

Is it due to cortison injections that your numbers spike as high as 593?
  • LeannSz
    LeannSz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think the reality is that for some not saying you but some dropping medication may never happen. There comes a point where the pancreas no longer functions the way it should on it's own and needs assistance for the long term.
    I'm very curious to hear how you progress it would give me hope to one day stop as well. my highest A1c has been 5.9 but my doctor has doubts about stopping medication and since I don't have any negative side effects i'm ok with that for now.
  • jahsshh
    jahsshh Posts: 18
    Options
    i usually stay around 90-110, but for me, i feel great when i see im at 120-125, when im under 90 i noticed i start feeling alittle woozy and weak. brought it up with my dr recently and he told me that the meters arent always accurate that even though it says 85-90, it might actually be down in the 40-60 which wasnt what i wanted to hear cause if thats true, how am i to check my lvls and go by something that "might" be inaccurate?
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Use the calibration drops or find a place (pharmacy, drs. office) that will do it for you. Meters are never going to be right on but if your meter is really off by 40 or 50 then it is time for a new meter. Very true though that if your meter says 85 your may be 80, which is normal range for a non diabetic.

What can be happening is that your body thinks it is hypo even though it is not. When your body gets used to be around 100, 80 can seem low to it and give you hypo symptoms. While uncomfortable these usually aren't dangerous. I try not to treat these false hypos so my body can adjust to being lower. I have heard of many cases of false hypo where people were at 150 but compared to the 200 they usually were they had hypo symptoms.
  • Gloria415
    Gloria415 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When my number get high I usually drink lots of water and take a brisk walk. That usually will do it for me.

Good luck.
  • ldg323
    ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Is it due to cortison injections that your numbers spike as high as 593?

Yes. Any steroid will make your BG go very high. I had to take a Prednisone pill one time for an allergic reaction and mine went to over 400. That was a VERY scary night! After that I learned about the steroid/BG effect.

When mine goes high, lots of water and a walk as others have said. I would think with just coming off meds that fluctuations are to be expected, but I don't know for sure. Can you fax your BG logs to your Dr. to take a look at between visits?

Take care!