How can I add more calories to my day

softballmom33
softballmom33 Posts: 128 Member
I am at a plateau so looking to make some changes and eat more. I have a hard time eat more and looking for ideas how to increase my calories with healthy foods I was eating my what MFP suggested that was 1233 a day.

These are my stats that I got from scoobysworkshop.com

Currently 139
Goal 127-130
46 years old
BMR 1328
TDEE 1826
Reset my calories to 1552
Usually burn 250-400 calories a day

Replies

• Daphnemomof9
    Daphnemomof9 Posts: 113 Member
    Well, the normal ways to add calories to your day are peanut butter, nuts, butter, start using protein powder and I've recently discovered hemp hearts. They have a bit of a nutty flavor and have a little crunch to them. I put them in my yogurt so far and really like it that way. I like to juice veggies, doesn't add a lot of cals though. You can check my diary and others to get more ideas. :smile:
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Try to set a timer and eat approximately every 2-3 hours throughout the day. That really is not very many calories! LOL. Do you have your activity level set correctly for your exercise?

Personally, I like to enjoy a bigger dinner with my family, so I adjust my calories for the day accordingly. I know others like to divide their calories more evenly throughout the day. Really, you just have to figure out what works best for you. I would recommend planning out your meals in your food diary for the next day before you go to bed.

Foods that will help you to eat enough include lean protein, fruits, veggies, nuts, avocado, healthy oils (coconut, olive, flax), greek yogurt, nut butters, oatmeal, etc.

Try to keep your calories clean and enjoy the journey! Welcome!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Currently 139
    Goal 127-130
    46 years old
    BMR 1328
    TDEE 1826
    Reset my calories to 1552

If your eating 1552 calories and burning 250-400 calories your going to have to eat up to or above your BMR, you may want to adjust your calories up to take that into account, your numbers seem a bit low with that calorie burn too, thats about an 30-60 minutes a day of exercise, 7 days a week (or how ever many) so make sure you set your exercise level correctly.
  • rusty1257
    rusty1257 Posts: 30 Member
    Chocolate milk is yummy.
    various trail mixes with nuts.
    Hummus with whatever veggie you like to scoop it up. I like snap peas or baby carrots.
  • softballmom33
    softballmom33 Posts: 128 Member
    Ok I have made some revision I didn't have my activity level correct.

Currently 139
    Goal 127-130
    46 years old
    BMR 1329
    TDEE 2059
    15% of my TDEE and Reset my calories to 1750
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Ok I have made some revision I didn't have my activity level correct.

Currently 139
    Goal 127-130
    46 years old
    BMR 1329
    TDEE 2059
    15% of my TDEE and Reset my calories to 1750

Hi there, how spooky....my numbers are the same as yours. The last time I weighed I was 136lbs and my goal is around 126lbs.

My diary is open if you want to check out how I hit 1750. I mainly have nuts, PB, avocado, cheese and 2% Greek yogurt to make up my calories. I think the only fat free thing I have is skimmed milk - that's just a taste preference, I can't stand the feel or taste of other milks.

Hope that helps :)
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Or you can go WILD and eat whole fat greek yogurt. They have Fage full fat at Whole Foods and it's DIVINE!
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Or you can go WILD and eat whole fat greek yogurt. They have Fage full fat at Whole Foods and it's DIVINE!

I'm going to move on to full fat when I move to TDEE for a week or two. I daren't use up the calories for it now in case I NEED them lol
  • olive oil to your salads/ veg
    a little grated cheese on salads, veg, stews etc
    seeds and nuts on salads or in cereals or as a snack
    smoothies... add in fruit, nuts/seeds/ oats/ fruit juice, protein powder... alll yummy

I never struggle to get my kcal in unfortunately always the opposite!! but hope this helps!!