food database

Options
I think we low carbers need to add more foods to the MFP database! I tried to enter pizza without crust and just got frustrated. I will do as much as I can, but if anyone knows an easy way, please share!! Thanks, Deezy

...What a noob! Sorry, folks, I finally found an approximation of what I was looking for!

Replies

• maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't use anything that other people have entered as far as recipes. I just enter my own recipe and use it for myself, and most of the time no, I don't add it to the database because a) it's too much work and b) I doubt it will help anyone else anyways.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    The MFP food database, and the app are good, but it could be much better.
    Measurements are all over the map. Things need to be more standardized. There should be standard volume (tsp, tbs, cup, ml, liter) and weight (oz, lb, g, kg ) for all items. The USDA has an excellent database.
    More than a decade ago I use a program called Dietwatch. They had a free plug-in to Netscape Navigator (so that should give you some idea how ancient this is) . It was a fantastic application, that allowed you to create new items, edit recipes and it smartly found the foods you were looking for based on your history of using it, and it has the entire USDA food database in it. I still have it on my laptop.

They have since moved to a subscription based process and they no longer offer the free program without a subscription. I suspect it is even better today. The MFP programmers would do good to research this application and try to emulate some of its better features.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Why do you need "pizza without crust"? why not an entry for mozzarella cheese, one for pepperoni and one for pizza sauce?

You do have to watch out for stuff that is entered that has sugar alcohols. The way some people enter them, you end up having negative carbs for an item (0 carbs, 4g fiber) Lots of that stuff I have to enter on my own.