I've been kicking around same weight for about 4 months...

jerber160
jerber160 Posts: 2,607 Member
maintaining calories around 1380... joined a gym and have been working out... using heart rate monitor... sometimes eating back calories burned....especially lately... suggestions?

bmr is about 1500...do I do a reset and eat my tdee of 2349 for the rest of the summer? OMG I think i might feel like an ox if i did that..
thanks all.

Replies

• hheater
    hheater Posts: 52 Member
    Just to make sure I'm getting this right...you're eating an average of 1380 calories a day and only eat back exercise calories sometimes? Because if that's true, I think we found the problem. :(
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    ur gonna have to increase ur calories
  • jerber160
    mfp set me at 1380...
  • sunny_yogi
    sunny_yogi Posts: 19
    maintaining at 1380 and you are a man? yep, i would say a reset is in order.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    That's not enough calories.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Eat over your BMR and less than TDEE - and eat back exercise calories... You want to NET over your BMR. :)
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    mfp set me at 1380...

OMG, I am a woman and I eat almost double the amount you eat to maintain my weight.....
  • jerber160
    mfp set me at 1380...

OMG, I am a woman and I eat almost double the amount you eat to maintain my weight.....

gotta tell you kindly, statements like that don't help. better to say nothing if no constructive advice is offered.. I'm confused as it is..
  • Saelina
    Saelina Posts: 129 Member
    If you've been eating that way for awhile, yes it is recommended to do a reset. You would eat at your TDEE for 8 weeks or so.

Once that is completed, you will eat at your TDEE -15%, that is your cut. It's not recommended to cut more than 15%.

If there are individual days where you have high calorie burns, than leave you netting below your bmr, than you eat enough calories to get you over your bmr again. you do not want to ever net below your bmr.
  • jerber160
    If you've been eating that way for awhile, yes it is recommended to do a reset. You would eat at your TDEE for 8 weeks or so.

Once that is completed, you will eat at your TDEE -15%, that is your cut. It's not recommended to cut more than 15%.

If there are individual days where you have high calorie burns, than leave you netting below your bmr, than you eat enough calories to get you over your bmr again. you do not want to ever net below your bmr.
    thank you... that way I should at least maintain for 8 weeks then begin losing the last 10 or 15 pounds????
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204

thank you... that way I should at least maintain for 8 weeks then begin losing the last 10 or 15 pounds????

Your weight will fluctuate while you are doing the reset, so be prepared for that...you may not simply maintain the whole time. But, your body definitely needs the extra calories, so I think it would be the right move. After you start the cut you should notice the beginning of losing inches.

There is a sticky at the top of the page that does a wonderful job of explaining what to expect while doing the reset.

Good luck!!
  • jerber160
    also @noor that's a great pic... someone asked me the other day if I plank... i haven't done that in years/// maybe it's time to try...
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    also @noor that's a great pic... someone asked me the other day if I plank... i haven't done that in years/// maybe it's time to try...
    give it a shot-did not mean to upset you with my previous post btw. Was just a bit shocked that MFP would set guys on such a low calorie allowance. You got all the info you need now from the girls. A reset is probably the best. That's what I am doing right now. Eating at TDEE for 8 weeks and then cut.
    Best of luck
  • Saelina
    Saelina Posts: 129 Member

Not sure what you are asking here.. If you are asking if you should maintain your calories at TDEE for 8 weeks, yes. If you are asking if your weight will maintain, most likely not. Most experience a gain and bloat as your body repairs itself. A normal reaction from being on a low cal diet and slowing your metabolism. Once you complete your reset and do your cut, it will come back off again.
  • Jennacita
    Jennacita Posts: 116 Member
    You definetly should try to eat more. If you are using MFP settings you should eat back all your exercise calories. Have you checked your numbers at scoobysworkshop.com?
  • jerber160
    does it mean anything that after a full meal day and over in calories (booze) then a fasting day...I lost a pound and a half. I've been drinking plenty of fluids today so whatever waterweight I think i lost has been replenished but scale still says down that bit...????