Is it normal?

Options
moss11
moss11 Posts: 236 Member
Guess you could call me mature!!! Over half way through NRWLFW phase one. Dumbbells 7 kg total for deadlift. Shoulder press 5kgs. Lunges 1st set 7kg second set 5kgs. Absolutely shattered after that!! Want to push myself but just not sure if that feeling of exhaustion is what you call failure and correct or am I overdoing it?. I do quite a lot of walking, cycling and warm up prior to lifting. So not new to exercising. Any thoughts.

Replies

• azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Moss11, I'm in the beginning stages like you and yesterday I was absolutely dead after my workout--came home and ate lunch, then lay down to attempt a nap for a bit but couldn't actually sleep (too revved up from the exercise, I think). Not too sore yet today, but I know from past experience the worst will probably hit tomorrow.

From what the book says, you do want to push yourself, but not necessarily to the point where you couldn't possibly lift that weight again. I think I took it to the verge yesterday.

For me, my thinking is this: I want to feel a good burn, but I don't want to be so miserable afterwards that it's hard for me to get back to the gym, or I'm so sore that I have to take a week off. As long as I'm showing progress from week to week--a few more reps, or a bit more weight--I'm doing what needs to be done.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Every single person is going to have a different amount of weight that is challenging for them to lift. you go at your own pace and lift what is heavy for you..

I didnt have that reaction with stage 1 but i came home yesterday after my first stage 2 workout (and my week of rest) and pretty much passed out for 3 hours rest..
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Agree Azalais whilst totally whacked also on a bit of a high!! Which is why I prefer to lift in the morning. I think I will judge it on a day to day basis. And yes Juicemoogan every one is different and if it is challenging for me then it will be doing its job. Actually looking at the book again because I had increased my weights I maybe should have lowered the reps to 8 or 10 rather than 15! I think that would have made it more manageable without putting myself off.