Want to go, but I'm a chicken

HausfrauB
HausfrauB Posts: 104 Member
A couple of weeks ago I discovered that there is a pole fitness studio in my city (Cologne, Germany). I REALLY want to go...I've even dreamed about going to a class and having so much fun...but I'm afraid that my fat and my crappy German speaking will make me feel so out of place.

I currently weigh 178...at 5'2". I feel shorter and fatter than 98% of the women I see out on the street. It would be so much easier if I could drag a friend along...but I only have two here and they don't want to go. :grumble:

Can you all tell me about how much you like going to class? I really need some encouragement to make the enthusiasm outweigh the fear.

Thanks so much (in advance)! :smile:

Replies

• Veganbambina
    Veganbambina Posts: 108 Member
    You should really go! I started going to classes a few years ago. My sister and I would go together for the exercise and as a way to spend time together. We became hooked, both of us owned our own poles before level 1 was finished! Time passed though, my sister had foot surgery so that postponed us going back and now she can't afford to take classes, can't afford the time/commitment, blah, blah, blah. We had to go into the city to take the course but now one has opened in my community so I really want to get back at it. I'm a little scared to go on my own too. I'll do it if you do!
    You really don't need to worry about anything. Everyone takes these classes, all shapes and sizes and ages! It really is a lot of fun and the most amazing work out!
  • margerator
    margerator Posts: 52
    I just found out there's one in my city but I'm chicken, too!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    It's so much fun, and you'd be amazed at the wide variety of women who pole dance. Take a deep breath and give it a try. Oh, and if you don't believe me about the wide variety of women who pole dance, google "lulu pole dancer."
  • HausfrauB
    Thank you girls!!! I went and googled "Lulu" and then I proceeded to look for other pole dancers who looked about my size. It seems a lot less daunting after seeing someone else who is overweight being able to do so many fun looking moves! :)

Ballet was always my favorite back in my dancing days. Alas, my poor broken knees can't handle the jumping anymore. I love how ballet-like pole dancing can look.

I've decided that I am definitely taking classes, but I won't start until after we return from our belated honeymoon, since it's only a few weeks away. In a fit of crazy earlier this week, I bought a bikini--I haven't worn one since 1999! Perhaps the act of being bold enough to wear the bikini on Italian beaches will give me that extra bump of confidence too. :)

One question...Since I'm waiting, I thought it would be wise to work on my flexibility. Can you recommend areas I should focus on limbering up?

Thank you so much again! I'll let you know how it goes after I have my first class. :D
  • HausfrauB
    We had to go into the city to take the course but now one has opened in my community so I really want to get back at it. I'm a little scared to go on my own too. I'll do it if you do!

I'm definitely doing it. I will start the week of August 13, after I return from vacation. :)
  • Songtothesiren
    Songtothesiren Posts: 388 Member
    Go Go Go and Spin Spin Spin.

I'm 49 years old, 18 stone and I absolutely love it.

The girls in my class are all lovely and supportive - even when they all get together and lift me up on the pole! LOL!!!

Let us know how you get along.
  • HausfrauB
    :D Mavis, I adore your username and photo! :D

I'm planning to start in August when we get back from our trip. And I can't wait! Everyone's encouragement and a growing body confidence has been so helpful in helping me to get over the idea that I'll be out-of-place.

I'm so looking forward to feeling the hurt of working hard at something that I think will be great fun. :D

Cannot wait to report back to everyone!!!
  • Veganbambina
    Veganbambina Posts: 108 Member
    I hope to join in August too! As SOON as I know what's going on with our holidays I will be there!
  • HausfrauB
    I hope to join in August too! As SOON as I know what's going on with our holidays I will be there!

Tell me when you do! :D
  • Songtothesiren
    Songtothesiren Posts: 388 Member
    :D Mavis, I adore your username and photo! :D

I'm planning to start in August when we get back from our trip. And I can't wait! Everyone's encouragement and a growing body confidence has been so helpful in helping me to get over the idea that I'll be out-of-place.

I'm so looking forward to feeling the hurt of working hard at something that I think will be great fun. :D

Cannot wait to report back to everyone!!!

Just stopped by to check in with you. I know you're not planning on starting till w/c August 13th - but this is to let you know you aren't forgotten and we're all out here willing you to go and have fun in your first class!