NSV of the Social Variety (and thank you)

sugarplumj
sugarplumj Posts: 107 Member
Yesterday I went to a friend's BBQ and saw someone who I used to be fairly good friends with, but after a falling out last year, we haven't spoken. I was kind of shocked and saddened to see how much larger she looked. I guess it's the classic biotchy girl thing to wish nothing but weight gain on our former friends, but I didn't feel that way. What I felt was "thank heavens I am not longer running with that crowd, cuz that could be me."

As crazy as it sounds, I really think I had a small group of friends who kept me unhealthy. Kind of like alcoholics who want drinking partners, these people were junk food eating partners. It was not a happy crowd, and once I extricated myself from them, (and burned some bridges, yes) I started to get healthier. This is not to say that I can't have overweight friends, this was a strange co-dependent relationship with others and unhealthy food. It was never as though we all went out and got salads--it was always junk-fried junk, weird trashy chain restaurant food--it was always met with laughter, but it was not funny.

I realized how much happier now that I am healthier, and yes I have my EMTWL freakouts--I am up 8 lbs in 5 weeks, but my skin glows, my arms have definition, fewer breakouts, and no more horrendous raccoon eyes. and most of all, I smile a lot more.

I really hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but I realize happy I am to be part of this group of like minded people, who love to eat, but love to look good, too, and who are here to support each other.

Thanks fitness pals!

SP

Replies

• WhiteCloud9
    WhiteCloud9 Posts: 113 Member
    I feel the same way about a girl who used to be a good friend and roommate over two years ago. She has also gained a lot of weight since we parted ways as roommates and I know hers is emotional eating. I have to work with her a few days a month and that's enough for me to get mad at her all over again. So as much as I do feel sorry for her it's hard not to feel the "biotchy" side also. Mostly I just feel sorry for her. I am so glad I am not around her because it was a toxic relationship and I was such an angry person around her.

It took me quite a few years to realize that I didn't want friends that would keep me unhealthy. Now my life is so much fuller and happier without those people around. It's sad that we have to go through it to figure it out, and I think it's sad to feel sad for someone but such is life.

Glad that you're feeling better about yourself and the EMTWL is working for you! I've been doing the same plan and have been much happier counting calories! Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    I could not agree more! So glad to be part of this amazing group...