My 5K Journey

Options
I have never considered myself much of a runner to say the least. I am sure over half of you in this group would agree with that statement. However with that being said I have been working my booty off (literally and figguratively) on trying to get in shape to run more.

A recent relocation to Raleigh, NC has put me back into the running mode! My plane flew in on March 26th and I have been up running 6 days a week since. Mind you these runs have been little half mile runs with another half mile walk when I get tired.

I feel like I need something to work towards when I start any sort of routine, so needless to say a 5k seemed like the best option. I searched around online and found a 5k that seemed perfect for me and signed up! Not backing out any time soon now.

So then I found this group, downloaded the "Simple Couch to 5K" application for my droid and then it was time to get started!
This morning was my first day, week 1 day 1. Because I have been running so frequently I found this day to be incredibly easy, but I can not say the same for my beloved 10 year old running buddy "Marley" the 105 pound horse Bouvier Des Flandres! About half of the way I had to turn around and bring her back home because I was dragging the poor thing to keep up with me! Mind you this dog is incredibly spoiled and was not harmed during this at all. She sees me putting on my shoes and wont quit moaning and barking until she gets her leash snapped to her collar and gets outside, so she LOVES going with me!

So here are a few questions.
Can I skip to week two because I am 21 years old, overweight, however in a good healthy shape? I actually played roller derby for a few years so I have been physically active the majority of my life already.

Or can I just go for longer? I did not feel like only 20 minutes gave me the kind of workout I wanted. I have been doing two-a-days for about 5 days already, running early morning, then hitting the treadmill inside mid-afternoon.

I am always interested in what other people have to say and making friends on here :)

Replies

• jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    All of c25k has you run/walking for 20/30 minutes. The difference between the weeks is the length of the run segments and the length of the recovery (walk) segments. Find your place by the the length of your current continous run segments: 1 min - 20 min in the first five weeks, 20 - 30 min for the remainder of the program. Another easy way is to run the first day of each week until you find
    where your current ability fits the workout.

I am currently at W3D2. I was working running into my exercise scehdule planning my own workouts. I took a month off when
    I found C25K and decided to start again. I am in the middle of week three since I restarted running last week. :happy: