Book Recommendations Please

TinaBroc
TinaBroc Posts: 3 Member
Hi and thank you for taking the time to read this! I'm 31 years old with hashimotos and am currently taking Armour Thyroid. This medication has truly been a life saver for me!! I am lactose intolerant and have cystic acne and possibly PCOS. I've been trying to lose weight, and for the first time in years, have actually been successful thanks to tracking everything in myfitnesspall. How eye opening to see it all laid out like that! My mom feels that I may have issues with gluten, but I haven't really explored that yet. Someone on another board posted that they learned a lot from "Stop the Thyroid Madness", but there are so many other books out there that I would really appreciate your recommendations. I want to do everything I can to optimize my health, lose weight, and get healthy. For those of you who have done the leg work, which book do you think would best fit my situation? What book or books do you find yourself going back to reference over and over again?? Thank you!

Replies

• bigjax1
    bigjax1 Posts: 56 Member
    as good as some books are many are the opinions of the author and may conatin some very obscure data

I have read a few and each has had something worth while in but one says to boast thyroid function by taking iodine suppliments and another says NO NO NO to iodine suppliments

another said stay away from certain foods that can hamper throid funtion another says thats not right

one says avoid carbs..( you cannot remove a major food group like that with out causing damage to other aspects of your body

My advice would be to save your money.. eat healthy, take what you read with a pinch of salt ... some of its very informative and some is dangerous
  • hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 134 Member
    I haven't really had a book to refer to but mostly researched different issues on the internet. However, I just ordered Stop the Thyroid Madness and can't wait to get it. I've been looking at their website www.stopthethyroidmadness.com. I'm really interested in the adrenal fatigue talked about in the book. Hope you find a book.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    The book that turned me around was "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It" by Gary Traube.. it does talk about carbs, but in the terms of processed foods, "white" food, empty carbs. The other good one was "Eat To Live" by Joel Furhman. It was a great book - but suggested vegetarian eating -- and relied heavily on tofu and other soy products and soy is really bad for thyroid.
  • IAmABetterMe
    IAmABetterMe Posts: 128 Member
    Hi and thank you for taking the time to read this! I'm 31 years old with hashimotos and am currently taking Armour Thyroid. This medication has truly been a life saver for me!! I am lactose intolerant and have cystic acne and possibly PCOS. I've been trying to lose weight, and for the first time in years, have actually been successful thanks to tracking everything in myfitnesspall. How eye opening to see it all laid out like that! My mom feels that I may have issues with gluten, but I haven't really explored that yet. Someone on another board posted that they learned a lot from "Stop the Thyroid Madness", but there are so many other books out there that I would really appreciate your recommendations. I want to do everything I can to optimize my health, lose weight, and get healthy. For those of you who have done the leg work, which book do you think would best fit my situation? What book or books do you find yourself going back to reference over and over again?? Thank you!

I could have written this myself! I will be watch this post closely
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Here are some good book recommendations - Living Well With Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You . . .That You Need to Know by Mary J. Shomon.