week one, no loss, need advice please

Options
navydentalchic
navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
Hello everyone! I have just completed my first week of LC. I have been staying between 20-30, and some days under 20 carbs. I do weight training, running, Insanity and Turbofire for my workouts. I have been doing my best to stay true. I feel good, no ill side effects,. I looked at myself in the mirrior yesterday (and maybe I imagined it), but it looked like my waist was a bit smaller. I got on the scale this morning all excited, and found out that I have lost nothing. Exactly the same weight as wehn I stood a the scale a week ago.

I am not going to stop, just wondering if this is normal. Does it sometimes take a bit longer? My hubby said "at least you didn't gain any" which actually didn't help. Thank you in advance everyone!

Replies

• mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much on my first week, too. So don't have advice. How ever, I have lost a couple of lbs. I do an hour or two of bootcamp a day, attempting to workout at least 5 hours a week, and I *do* count calories. Do you count calories? I also don't do the 20 g of carbs, but I really am proud of you for being able to do that!! I've kept mine under 50 I think.

So I guess I have no advice.... but I know people in here will :) Maybe you're working out so much that you should eat more calories? Maybe you're eating too many calories? Maybe you're building muscle. I know I have lost 10 lbs (without low carb) by working out but I know I have way more muscle than before, so I'm only with the small weight loss. Maybe you're building muscle?

Sorry I'm not so helpful, haha!
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The first week I had to drop my carbs to under 20g to kick start my body into Ketosis. You could try to lower your carbs and see what happens. But you also might want to wait and see what happen at the end of this week.
  • ShilohMaier
    ShilohMaier Posts: 135
    Options
    Your journal looks good- the only thing I see that would be a of concern is the nuts. When you first start low-carb, it is recommended to avoid nuts because they can stall weightloss. These are Atkins rules, which are pretty useful when getting started regardless of where you decide to go with your low-carb lifestyle. You've got almonds, almond milk and almond butter- cut those out (as well as low-carb wraps/breads) to get a good kick start. I would highly recommend going to the Atkins website and reading the Rules of Induction.
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You might want to check your sodium levels. Excess sodium over a few days will stall me out no matter what I do with my carb/protein ratio
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Without looking at your foods, your totals are off. You need to be under 20 carbs a day in induction to get into ketosis. Your carbs needs to come from about 2 cups of vegetables throughout the day, and your fat/protein ratio needs to be 65/35 respectively. Looks like you're getting close to 30 carbs most days.
  • navydentalchic
    Options
    Your journal looks good- the only thing I see that would be a of concern is the nuts. When you first start low-carb, it is recommended to avoid nuts because they can stall weightloss. These are Atkins rules, which are pretty useful when getting started regardless of where you decide to go with your low-carb lifestyle. You've got almonds, almond milk and almond butter- cut those out (as well as low-carb wraps/breads) to get a good kick start. I would highly recommend going to the Atkins website and reading the Rules of Induction.

I took a peek and got osme info! Thanks for the advice! I am very new to this and I have lost quite a bit and just stalled. I will definately cut out the other stuff.
  • navydentalchic
    Options
    Without looking at your foods, your totals are off. You need to be under 20 carbs a day in induction to get into ketosis. Your carbs needs to come from about 2 cups of vegetables throughout the day, and your fat/protein ratio needs to be 65/35 respectively. Looks like you're getting close to 30 carbs most days.

I do, but I am counting net carbs. My hubby suggested it because of the fiber issue I was concerned with. I subtract the fiber from the carbs and most days I am coming under 30 carbs. He had lost 40 pounds doing it this way. Thank you for your input!:happy:
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I do not believe the nutrition info for Carb Balance wraps, no do I for Dreamfields pasta. I know this may offend some but I think these companies are bending the rules to their advantage. There is a lot of error that is allowed in nutritional information, especially in Carbs, since the government thinks they are Good for you. It is a lot harder for a company to lie about saturated fat levels in their product. That is just the way the game is played. We on LC are not in the main stream.

Look at the ingredients in the wrap. They must be listed in order by weight from largest to smallest.
    Water,
    Modified Food Starch, [CARB]
    Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour [CARB]
    Vital Wheat Gluten, [75% protein, 15% carb]
    Powdered Cellulose, [Fiber, counts as carb and fiber, net zero]
    Vegetable Shortening [FAT]

The label claims 2g of FAT, 13 g of CARB and 10 of fiber for net of only 3 carbs.
    I don't see how it is possible from those ingredients. If fat is 2g (use to be 3g on other labels I've seen, but by law they can round down , rounding and allowable errors and portion size can all combine to introduce a large error ) , then Mod Food Starch, Wheat Flour and Wheat Gluten MUST all be more than 2g each.
    I just don't see how you can get to 10g of fiber and only 3 active carbs unless you say something "funny" like Dreamfields does and pretend that their "modified food starch" is somehow magically modified to be turned into fiber.

I think it is a marketing lie :explode: and to the great detriment of the serious Low Carbing community.

If you must use a wrap I recommend Joseph's Bakery Flax, Oat Bran and Whole Wheat Flour Tortilla. Listed as 11g carb 6 fiber for a net 5g. Their 1st ingredient is Wheat Gluten.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i fast for a few days, that likes to kick start my weight loss (and gets me into ketosis for sure!)

take measurements too. if you're working out a lot, you could be gaining muscle.

eating nothing but protein (if you can't fast) can make you get into ketosis for sure.
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I do not believe the nutrition info for Carb Balance wraps, no do I for Dreamfields pasta.

I just watched a video where someone ate the dreamfields and took their blood sugar over 20 minute intervals!! It stayed at 130 for hours and hours! That "indigestible" carb that they speak of is a lie... Sadly, it will make people trying to go low carb not understand why they aren't losing weight and quit ... when in actually it just wasn't low carb to begin with.
  • Septlondon
    Septlondon Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I struggled for ages and it wasn't until I cut out grains that the weight started to move. Just as an experiment try not having any wheat for a week and see what that does.
  • navydentalchic
    Options

If you must use a wrap I recommend Joseph's Bakery Flax, Oat Bran and Whole Wheat Flour Tortilla. Listed as 11g carb 6 fiber for a net 5g. Their 1st ingredient is Wheat Gluten.

That sounds good, but I have never heard of these, where can I find them?
  • navydentalchic
    Options
    i fast for a few days, that likes to kick start my weight loss (and gets me into ketosis for sure!)

take measurements too. if you're working out a lot, you could be gaining muscle.

eating nothing but protein (if you can't fast) can make you get into ketosis for sure.

What do you mean by fast? I am intserested to know :)
  • LowcarbNY
    Options

That sounds good, but I have never heard of these, where can I find them?
    They have an online store and a zip code search for a local retailer at http://www.josephsbakery.com/
    I often buy some from Netrition.com which has very reasonable and fast shipping.

http://www6.netrition.com/cgi/prices.cgi?manu_id=464

Netrition also displays nutrition info for everything they sell and has reviews , but the nutrition data is what the manufacture tells them and not all are honest. The data for Joseph's looks reasonable given the ingredients.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

Could be true, but eating mostly fat will probably get you there quicker. Protein still makes the body produce insulin (which prevents fat from leaving fat cells). Dietary fat will not illicit an insulin response. Coconut oil is actually great for making ketones. More ketones=ketosis.

Also, lettuce=ultimate low-carb wrap!
  • shar140
    Options

What do you mean by fast? I am intserested to know :)

I am assuming she is probably referring to fasting for days at a time?!

There is also intermittent fasting (IF) - usually done as a 16/8, 14/10, or 19/5 (though I haven't seen this one as often), where you fast for 16 (or 14, or 19) hours, then the 8 (10, or 5) hours are your "eating window". It has been shown to be effective in men, but results can vary for women (see here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/women-and-intermittent-fasting/#axzz1yvZhhxGB ). I've read the 14/10 usually works better for women, according to the LeanGains program (though admittedly, I haven't read much about this program, but it's set up so you also workout while in a fasted state). It usually works best if you stop eating at a certain time the previous night, then skip breakfast - so your 8-hour eating window would be 12-8pm, for example. Some people still have plain coffee or tea in the morning, or just coconut oil in it (so no protein/carbs).
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options

Could be true, but eating mostly fat will probably get you there quicker. Protein still makes the body produce insulin (which prevents fat from leaving fat cells). Dietary fat will not illicit an insulin response. Coconut oil is actually great for making ketones. More ketones=ketosis.

True. And actually if you eat too much protein then the body cannor store it and the liver will break it up into GLUCOSE. And I guess you know what this mean! I was struggling to get into ketosis at the beginning since I was too afraid of fat after all the brain washing we've been through. As soon as I upped my fat intake I was there in no time, and always on the darker shades. :)

Just make sure you eat good fat. Coconut oil and olive oil are my first choices. Fatty fish like salmon can help as well.
  • navydentalchic
    Options

True. And actually if you eat too much protein then the body cannor store it and the liver will break it up into GLUCOSE. And I guess you know what this mean! I was struggling to get into ketosis at the beginning since I was too afraid of fat after all the brain washing we've been through. As soon as I upped my fat intake I was there in no time, and always on the darker shades. :)

Just make sure you eat good fat. Coconut oil and olive oil are my first choices. Fatty fish like salmon can help as well.

Cheese seems to be pretty high in fat, is that along the lines of what you are speaking? Other than oils and such, of course.
  • LowcarbNY
    Options

No and Yes.
    The glucose your liver produces is stored in the liver and your muscles as Glycogen, a hydrated form of glucose, with about 5 water molecules per glucose molecule. This is why you lose so much water weight during the 1st week of Low carb as you use up much of that stored glycogen. You get an insulin response when your blood glucose levels are too high (which is toxic, even though it feels good) so insulin sweeps that glucose out of your bloodstream into cells where it gets stored as fat. Your body will not degenerate glycogen into glucose and water if your blood glucose levels are adequate. I don't know of any literature indicating that any level of protein consumption can lead to high blood sugar levels or an insulin spike the way carbs do.

Olymp1a has a very high activity level. When exercise is very intense, you've used up all your stored glycogen and your activity level is still higher than your livers ability to synthesize glycogen you will metabolize the ketones in your blood stream. It isn't that you were not in Ketosis, it is just that you metabolized them instead of excreting them. Upping your level of fat in your diet gives you body something that it can metabolize more easily than ketones and which creates more ketones in the process.
    I can have ketones in my urine one day and after an intense day of exercise and work I'll detect little or none.
  • shar140
    Options
    I don't know of any literature indicating that any level of protein consumption can lead to high blood sugar levels or an insulin spike the way carbs do.

"The insulin area following glucose was only modestly greater than with a protein meal (97 +/- 35, 83 +/- 19 microU X h/ml, respectively)."
    This study was only on type II diabetics, though. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6389060

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319 then scroll down to the section:
    MYTH: Carbohydrate Is Singularly Responsible for Driving Insulin
    FACT: Protein Is a Potent Stimulator of Insulin Too

Of course, both of the above studies were protein+carbs ingested together. This one compares almost purely protein sources (whey vs. soy) for their insulin (and glucagon) responses:
    http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=1893100
    (I say almost purely protein, as they sweetened it with aspartame and adjusted the pH with citric acid. Sometimes you can still get an insulin response from artificial sweeteners.)

The difference is that protein signals the release of glucagon, which is what starts the gluconeogenesis process, but ingested carbs do not. I'm curious how blood glucose levels are then affected after consuming protein; all I've found so far is this article, saying that it depends on waist circumference and fiber intake: http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/10/2506.full#F4