Help please - what exercises should I be doing?

lovtolaff
lovtolaff Posts: 65 Member
Hey all....I'm new here and have been reading alot to try to familiarize myself with all of the information. My question is what tyypes of strength training/weight lifting can be done at home? The only equipment I would have access to is a couple of 10 lb barbells. I guess I'm just confused on how I can make this work if I can't get to the gym or have a weight machine set-up at home.
Help! Thanks so much!

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    First off, you don't have to lift weights for this to work! It's for everyone. It's just recommended to lift.

Since you only have a few weights I would suggest starting off with Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. It's a 20 min strength workout that uses your own body and some dumbbells. Though you might consider investing in a few more heavier weights so you can progress.

When I first starting back into strength training I did the Shred DVD and got wicked results. I lost 17 inches in less than 20 days.
  • lovtolaff
    Thank you - that is helpful b/c I actually do have the Shred DVD at home.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    I also started with the 30 day shred. Then I moved on or graduated to some of Jillian's harder videos like Ripped in 30, No More Trouble Zones, and Shed and Shred.

Then I graduated to P90X which is where I am now, and you still don't need a whole gym full of weights. I've got my bands with the door attachment and a set of 5 lbs and 8 lbs weights. Thinking of buying 10 soon though.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    I'm not a Jillian fan but have you seen any videos by Gilad? He has some strength training exercises that I like. Depending on which channels you get you can sometime catch him on tv. Or just check Amazon. And 10lb weights would be just fine for him. Its also nice scenary as he films in Hawaii.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    You would be surprised with how many exercises you can do with just a 10 lb set.. you can do your whole upper body with that, and with legs you could probably go on youtube and type leg workouts without weights and get a ton of workouts that use your body weight as resistance for your legs.

I also use bands at home for p90x and a pull up bar.. of course my bands are in the much higher resistance levels.. bands are a great addition, which I would never say until I tried em.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Pushups, squats, planks and lunges even without weights is a great place to start too.
  • lovtolaff
    Thank yall so much!!