Not-That-Heavy Neighbors

Options
Sweet_Potato
Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
This morning I was walking my dogs and saw an obese woman struggling down the street. It struck me as very odd, and it occurred to me that very heavy people are not a common sight where I live. It made me wonder if we are all influencing each other, in subtle ways, to live a healthy lifestyle and keep our weight down.

Do you live in a not-that-heavy neighborhood?

Replies

• kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I think more than the individual neighborhood, it breaks down to cities and regions. I live in Arizona which is considered a fairly "skinny" state. One of the main reasons for that I think is that it's just too uncomfortable to be obese when it's upwards of 100 degrees 5 months of the year. Also, because it never snows people can get outside and exercise year round. It's easier to stay in shape when you have the option of going outside and not just stuck in a gym.

When I travel to other cities I've noticed I see way more heavy people. I remember going to the South with my grandma when I was 8, and I saw people bigger than I ever had in my life. I could not believe what I was seeing because I had never seen 400, 500 pound people like that in AZ. Conversely, when I traveled to China I did not see one obese person the entire time and I was there for a month. I hardly even saw anyone that I would consider "fat." I currently live in Tucson where there are even fewer fat people than in my hometown Phoenix. Tucson is a smaller community, it's a bit "hippyish" if you wil,l so most people here are on a big health kick. I've noticed that beacuse the community in Tucson is so into health, it does have a big influence. There are tons of farmer's markets, health fairs and other local events. The community always comes out in numbers so there is good momentum here. It just keeps growing. Two years ago when I started going to the farmer's market there would be 8-10 tables and maybe 15 people walking around, now there are 25-30 tables selling and more than 100 people shopping.

I do think community has a big part to do with it, and we can influence our communities positively by setting a good example. This is what I see happening in Tucson. We can also have influence by shopping at farmer's markets or more local stores and refusing to buy as many processed products. It sends a message to the big farms that the public is sick of being fed crap that is marketed as "healthy." I saw a commercial last night for "healthy" South Beach diet bars. The commercial claimed these non-fat chocolate bars would help you reach your goal, but all they are is sugar! If we stop buying this kind of stuff, and instead buy fresh fruit, veggies and locally raised meats we can all make a small impact that hopefully will spread.

Interesting topic though Sweet_Potato! I'm curious to see what others think.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I live near a walking trail so I see a lot of fit people or people on their way to get there. I don't see my neighbors much but the people I work with and see me for 8 hours a day are fit. I think we all support each other subconsciously.
  • crd314
    crd314 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I definitely think it has to do with region and location. I live in Denver and there are definitely a lot more fit people here than when I lived in West Texas! People here will go outside to workout even in the snow in the winter and 105 degrees in the summer. Given, it is more enjoyable to be outside here than other places, since there's little to no humidity.

There's definitely a lot more emphasis on eating natural and organic here as well. I work at a school, and the expectation for class parties with the kids is that at least half of the food is healthy. It is SO much easier to find healthy food here.
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I think there's some truth to people influencing those around them, even in a subtle way.

When I see someone on a run outside in my neighborhood, it encourages me to get out there too. I'm sure I've unknowingly encouraged other people to get out there and run around too - I'm seeing more runners/walkers in my neighborhood than I did 9 months ago!

Now if only all contagion was this positive... :wink:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I think it is more of a generational thing. There were not too many really big people while I was growing up. And definately NO fat children. We now have too many junky choices when it comes to eating. Instead of riding their bikes around town, kids today sit and play video games. I speak of the United States. I know that other countrys have healthier lifestyle.