What do you do on your rest days??

Options
jbella99
jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
I just finished workout 5 in stage one.. I was just wondering what y'all do on the day off. I usually hit the gym 6 days a week. Three of those are NROLFW and the other three I usually do some form of cardio. It's getting kinda stale though. What do you do on your rest days?? Lighter weights? abs?? cardio?? or maybe nothing

I don't like the classses, I like to go right after work and there are never any classes at that time.

Replies

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    nothing, housekeeping maybe but nothing. For me a rest day isn't a day off from lifting it's a day OFF. I don't count cardio days as rest days.
  • jbella99
    Options
    nothing, housekeeping maybe but nothing. For me a rest day isn't a day off from lifting it's a day OFF. I don't count cardio days as rest days.

So you only workout 3 days a week and only do lifting??
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I workout 4-5 days a week. Lifting 2-3 days a week. If I am exercising it's not a REST day. On days that I don't lift, I swim, walk, or take a class.
  • airplanes00
    airplanes00 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do a circuit training classes, very similar to a Jillian Michaels DVDs, usually five or six stations of some sort of cardio/body weight routine. For example, one day we might do 10 flights of stairs, then 20 burpees, 20 sit-ups, and 20 planks and then repeat 4 times. I do this Tuesday and Thursday, I lift Mon, Wed, Friday. I have been trying to run on saturdays, I think I have gotten two or three runs in the last 9 weeks, I have been really lazy on the weekends, I need to push myself to get that sixth workout in.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Rest means rest. At most, a gentle walk, or as she said, housework. Maybe yoga. But you won't reap the benefits of your training without a full rest day.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    OP, if you mean on days when you don't lift, then I do circuits-light weights, run sprints, or walk. So, I lift Mon. , Wed., Fri. on Tues, Thurs- I do one of the above. On Sat. Sun I rest-rest as in not do anything or I do light walk and house work.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I did nothing but I really started missing my running. I have slowly added that back in about 2 days per week.
  • jbella99
    Options
    Sorry I meant rest from the lifting...... So non lifting days
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    If I do anything besides the usual household/yard stuff, I bike, yoga and golf on my non-lifting days.
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Non-lifting days I play fastball (pitcher) twice a week and then I *try* to fit in 1 other day of cardio, sometimes it doesn't happen. I usually spend the weekends taking my kids for walks. When fastball is done I will go back to doing a combination of Zumba, Running and Turbofire but right now it's hard to fit all that in with my ball. I think it's enough for now anyway!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    mostly i Run unless an interesting class works into my schedule...

and sometimes... . i even do... NOTHING AT ALL..
    ahhaha OMG..
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I've been skipping my circuit classes since doing NROLFW since they incorporate weights. I've hated just doing the boring cardio machines. I might just have to add in some of the classes again.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I was a former cardioaholic. I made it a point to follow the book as close as possible. I knew that not working out outside of NROL was fine (they say it in the book and I'm sorry but they're experts for a reason) and some additional workouts are okay, but they could also be counterproductive. I want 100% of the benefit of lifting and I certainly don't want to waste my time or effort if it's not going to be reflected.

Today I actually have to make a "special" trip to the gym to do the HIIT that is required in Stage 3 b b/c the lifting was over an hour yesterday and I had a meeting.

There was a thread earlier on the main board about whether someone with a significant amount of weight to lose should do it and I said *I* personally wouldn't (and didn't when I had 100lbs to lose after my first baby) because I knew mentally I wouldn't allow myself to gain the benefit.
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    On the 4 REST days I run as I am training for the Falmouth road race - so my normal week would be NROL 3 daysm and 3 days of running and one FULL rest day.

The running days are only 2.5 miles up to 7.1 miles the day of the race. I don't feel that it will hurt me as I have always been a runner.