RAVENOUS after upping cals to TDEE - 15%

rr85114
rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
Hi everyone

I've been obsessively reading about eating more to weigh less for the past week, and I have NEVER been more convinced about any other health/weight loss approaches!

A little background - I'm 26, 5'9", weighed 87.2kg in September 2010 and went down to 77/78kg a year later by following weight watchers and doing mainly cardio (and a little BodyPump).

Over the past year, I've been hovering IRRITATINGLY at the 77 - 79kg mark. I was always less than satisfied food-wise and while I consistently worked out, I didn't have a crazy amount of energy. I hit the dreaded plateau and was fed up with all my efforts amounting to nothing. My goal weight was 72kg. 5 measly kilos that are clinging on for dear life.

I then decided to try a WW versus MFP week, which made me realise how ridiculously restricted I was with WW! I was eating around 1200-1400 cals a day, plus burning between 250-550 cals with my exercise almost daily. All this time I thought I was "eating well" when in fact, I was starving my body. Which was shocking to me because I always thought to myself, "wow, I'm such a sensible eater/exerciser, I'd never be one of those desperate starvation diet folks". Imagine my shock once I learned that my BMR was 1600, and that I was consistently netting HUNDREDS of cals below that.

So, last week I upped my calories to 1700 + exercise cals. After reading a little more, and because I'm an "all or nothing" type, I'm now up at 2110 per day, that being my TDEE (2489) less 15%.

I am LOVING my newfound food freedom. In just over a week (I'm also doing the 30 Day Shred) I've noticed better muscle definition, less belly pudge, and way more energy.

HOWEVER, I used to easily survive on 1200 cals a day, after the first 2 days of "OMG I'm so full I'm going to explode" after upping my cals, I'm now finding that I'm RAVENOUS about an hour after each meal. I'm hitting my macros and eating frequently. But wow! Where has this hunger come from?!

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member

HOWEVER, I used to easily survive on 1200 cals a day, after the first 2 days of "OMG I'm so full I'm going to explode" after upping my cals, I'm now finding that I'm RAVENOUS about an hour after each meal. I'm hitting my macros and eating frequently. But wow! Where has this hunger come from?!

Yep, me too! Been eating more for about 3 weeks now and even though I'm now eating 6 times a day I'm always looking forward to my next meal/snack. I think it must be the metabolism firing back into life.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    So you've hit the second stage...the third stage seams to be lethargy-that one is hard. It may last a week or two, some folks take a week off from working out, try not to be surprised when it hits!:noway: :tongue:
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    So you've hit the second stage...the third stage seams to be lethargy-that one is hard. It may last a week or two, some folks take a week off from working out, try not to be surprised when it hits!:noway: :tongue:

Yep, it's good to be prepared :)
    Hunger is normal-and a good thing :)
  • AmbitionStrong
    AmbitionStrong Posts: 46 Member
    so much to read!

where is there to read about the stages??
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member
    so much to read!

where is there to read about the stages??

Take a look at this....I think this is what you are looking for...It helps explain some of the stages for you...Hope this helps!! :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/604089-patterns-emerging-for-hunger-satiety-energy-and-fatigue?hl=patterns+emerging&page=1#posts-8682673
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Oh yeah our bodies sure change. I did -15% cut then tdee for 2 weeks then when I went back to cut I was famished searching for food. Check out the stickies. Coming from ww I can relate to, I think I had 24 points, hardly ever ate them and exercised 5 days burning 600 cals every time......no more, no way.

Welcome :flowerforyou:
  • rr85114
    Ahhh so it's a good thing! Good to know I'm not alone! Now where's that peanut butter....

Yep, me too! Been eating more for about 3 weeks now and even though I'm now eating 6 times a day I'm always looking forward to my next meal/snack. I think it must be the metabolism firing back into life.
  • rr85114
    Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully that stage doesn't last too long!
  • rr85114
    Thanks for the welcome :)

Honestly, I was a firm WW believer but I can't believe the complete turnaround in my way of thinking! How did we manage on eating so little and exercising SO much?
    Oh yeah our bodies sure change. I did -15% cut then tdee for 2 weeks then when I went back to cut I was famished searching for food. Check out the stickies. Coming from ww I can relate to, I think I had 24 points, hardly ever ate them and exercised 5 days burning 600 cals every time......no more, no way.

Welcome :flowerforyou:
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    I then decided to try a WW versus MFP week, which made me realise how ridiculously restricted I was with WW! I was eating around 1200-1400 cals a day, plus burning between 250-550 cals with my exercise almost daily. All this time I thought I was "eating well" when in fact, I was starving my body. Which was shocking to me because I always thought to myself, "wow, I'm such a sensible eater/exerciser, I'd never be one of those desperate starvation diet folks". Imagine my shock once I learned that my BMR was 1600, and that I was consistently netting HUNDREDS of cals below that.

You sound like me:) I was shocked when I plugged in my WW tracker here. I was eating 38 points, no flex or activity, because you want to lose weight quicker, right??:)... and it equated to 1400 cals... Im eating DOUBLE that amount at Reset.. its insane!!
  • rr85114
    It's amazing isn't it? And even on WW I was under the illusion that I had "freedom". I'm sorry, but if I pass up an avocado or some yoghurt when I'm hungry simply because it's too "high point", then there's a problem!

You sound like me:) I was shocked when I plugged in my WW tracker here. I was eating 38 points, no flex or activity, because you want to lose weight quicker, right??:)... and it equated to 1400 cals... Im eating DOUBLE that amount at Reset.. its insane!!
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    At the beginning of the year I tried WW and I was shocked at how little I was allowed to eat! I was so irritated that most of the healthy fats I enjoyed like nuts and nut butters were super high in points. I finally ended up quitting because I just felt like it was all about starving myself to lose weight and not about getting healthy!

Anyway, as others have already stated, the hunger is totally normal. It's your metabolism revving up and your body is responding, which is such a great feeling!!! I did hit the lethargy stage a little while ago but thankfully it only lasted about 3-4 days!
  • cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    I tried weight watchers. I found that the only way I could possibly stick with it would be to eat prepackaged sugar free/fat free crap all day and I still was hungry. Of course that prepackaged highly processed crap raises your insulin levels so you stay hungry all the time and your blood sugar spikes and you store fat anyway, which defeats the whole purpose of dieting.

I haven't been doing EM2WL long and I haven't really seen results yet but I have only gone through it 1 weekend and I ate way too much according to my Fitbit, which showed me calories in vs calories out. I will be be much more aware of what I'm doing this weekend and will make sure I exercise some.
  • rr85114
    Totally agree with you! The fact that we avoided foods that are really good for you simply because they were too high point is ridiculous.

I think the lethargy stage has hit... I couldn't muster the energy to do a workout today - eek! Back into it tomorrow ;)
    At the beginning of the year I tried WW and I was shocked at how little I was allowed to eat! I was so irritated that most of the healthy fats I enjoyed like nuts and nut butters were super high in points. I finally ended up quitting because I just felt like it was all about starving myself to lose weight and not about getting healthy!

Anyway, as others have already stated, the hunger is totally normal. It's your metabolism revving up and your body is responding, which is such a great feeling!!! I did hit the lethargy stage a little while ago but thankfully it only lasted about 3-4 days!
  • rr85114
    Exactly. I was the same. The bulk of my foods were full of artificial sweeteners, chemicals and fake food designed to taste like the real thing. Yuck!

Great to have a FitBit to get an accurate measure of your calories. I must look into getting something like that...
    I tried weight watchers. I found that the only way I could possibly stick with it would be to eat prepackaged sugar free/fat free crap all day and I still was hungry. Of course that prepackaged highly processed crap raises your insulin levels so you stay hungry all the time and your blood sugar spikes and you store fat anyway, which defeats the whole purpose of dieting.

I haven't been doing EM2WL long and I haven't really seen results yet but I have only gone through it 1 weekend and I ate way too much according to my Fitbit, which showed me calories in vs calories out. I will be be much more aware of what I'm doing this weekend and will make sure I exercise some.