Need men to translate date code...

Options
Mom2rh
Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
So I have a friend (really) who has just started seeing a new guy. She's a single mom and wouldn't normally involve her 6 year old early in a relationship but how they met was her dog ran off, guy found her and called, she went to retrieve her dog with her son, stayed for a glass of wine. Now they've been on several dates with and without her son. He's divorced for 9 years, almost 20 years older, has grown kids. He's GREAT with her son.

So what I was curious about, and wanting translation for...he told her that he has dated a LOT of women. Basically, I take that as he is a serial dater, is probably seeing other women at the same time and DON'T get attached. Have fun, date as long as you keep it light, then move on.

Or am I reading more into that comment?

Replies

• Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Really hard to forge a guess on this without more context.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    he told her that he has dated a LOT of women. Basically, I take that as he is a serial dater, is probably seeing other women at the same time and DON'T get attached. Have fun, date as long as you keep it light, then move on.
    I thought he told her that:
    "He has dated a lot of women."
    which means:
    - He dated a lot.
    - He dated women.

Now there are some implications with this (of course!) and what you are saying are likely implications, but might or might not be true.
    I guess the woman involved can ask:
    "Are you seeing other women?"
    "Wow! You must be quite the serial dater! Yes?"
    "So... Are you looking for something more involved... more long term?"
    Not that he is going to say the truth btw.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I've dated a lot. It doesn't mean that I'm not open to a long term serious relationship, I just haven't met the right person in a while. You may be reading into it a little too much. It also depends on the context of the rest of the conversation.

I'd have your "friend" ask him what his intentions are. He may very well have had a messy divorce and doesn't want anything serious, or he could just be waiting for the right one. Either way it might be best to keep the kid out of it until they know it will be more than just a fling.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I've dated a LOT of men!! :laugh:

It's really not indicative of being shallow. Just the age of internet dating and mismatching makes it almost inevitable that you date and date and date and date, and never find/keep the ONE ! :flowerforyou:
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    He could simply have been on tons of first dates that go nowhere or maybe he's a real player, so I think she needs to clarify with him and determine his intentions.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Would need to know the time frame he is talking as well as what "a lot" is to him.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Would need to know the time frame he is talking as well as what "a lot" is to him.

This. He's an older guy so he is more experienced. Honestly, though, your friend should discuss with him what direction their potential relationship is going in.
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I think they were having a conversation in that early getting to know each other stage of dating. I would not read anything into it...Ive also dated a lot of women. Im 38 and have been divorced for 6 years. It doesnt mean anything when I say it, other than some hilarious first date stories.

I am learning though that everything a man says, at least in the early stages, is going to be examined relentlessly by women. That is a bit off putting because I dont want to be nor will I be on guard when I say things and it seems random non important comments end things with women before they ever get started. That sucks.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I think they were having a conversation in that early getting to know each other stage of dating. I would not read anything into it...Ive also dated a lot of women. Im 38 and have been divorced for 6 years. It doesnt mean anything when I say it, other than some hilarious first date stories.

I am learning though that everything a man says, at least in the early stages, is going to be examined relentlessly by women. That is a bit off putting because I dont want to be nor will I be on guard when I say things and it seems random non important comments end things with women before they ever get started. That sucks.

Usually to the wrong conclusion too.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

It's good for women to know this kind of stuff. And for men too. There are too many judgments based on little fact that goes on in the dating world. I think we are all guilty of it. :flowerforyou:
  • flimflamfloz
    Options

Better to freak them out... Their loss.

I'd rather be single than having to worry constantly about what I'm saying.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be single than having to worry constantly about what I'm saying.

Women invariably underestimate how simple we men are. This leads to overanalysis.

Ladies: more or less ignore 90% of what we say. If you're confused about something we've said, it's probably best to forget it. We already have. Oh, and wear more dresses.

You're welcome. ;-)

--P
  • flimflamfloz
    Options
    Oh, and wear more dresses.
    Or skirts. I like skirts...
  • RunningDirty
    RunningDirty Posts: 293
    Options
    I really do not think over analyzing has anything to do with gender. There are some women who over analyze and some who do not and I know for a fact men do the same. I have noticed that women tend to talk more about it where men seem to mull it over quietly, but that's just my personal experience and it could differ for everyone.

From what I've experienced and noticed, people over analyze when they're not confident in the situation, the person, or themselves so I think they just tend to over explore the potential outcomes. There's nothing wrong with it; that's how you learn what works for you and what doesn't and it also helps you prepare for whatever the outcome is. Once you build confidence in yourself, the relationship, or whatever the scenario is, you'll start letting go of the analyzing.

I think there was maybe too much thought into this guy too quickly. If your friend is interested in him, but was confused by what he said then she should just discuss it with him directly when the time is right. It could be as simple as he has dated a lot. It only takes one special person to change someone saying, I dated a lot to I now want to date just you.

Sidebar: I liked the way they met. I'd try this with my dog, but he would just sit at my front door waiting for me to open it...terrible wing man.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I really do not think over analyzing has anything to do with gender. There are some women who over analyze and some who do not and I know for a fact men do the same. I have noticed that women tend to talk more about it where men seem to mull it over quietly, but that's just my personal experience and it could differ for everyone.

From what I've experienced and noticed, people over analyze when they're not confident in the situation, the person, or themselves so I think they just tend to over explore the potential outcomes. There's nothing wrong with it; that's how you learn what works for you and what doesn't and it also helps you prepare for whatever the outcome is. Once you build confidence in yourself, the relationship, or whatever the scenario is, you'll start letting go of the analyzing.

I think there was maybe too much thought into this guy too quickly. If your friend is interested in him, but was confused by what he said then she should just discuss it with him directly when the time is right. It could be as simple as he has dated a lot. It only takes one special person to change someone saying, I dated a lot to I now want to date just you.

Sidebar: I liked the way they met. I'd try this with my dog, but he would just sit at my front door waiting for me to open it...terrible wing man.

I think this detailed analysis proves my point... ;-)

--P
  • RunningDirty
    RunningDirty Posts: 293
    Options

--P

:laugh: Touche.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I've dated a lot. It doesn't mean that I'm not open to a long term serious relationship, I just haven't met the right person in a while. You may be reading into it a little too much. It also depends on the context of the rest of the conversation.

I'd have your "friend" ask him what his intentions are. He may very well have had a messy divorce and doesn't want anything serious, or he could just be waiting for the right one. Either way it might be best to keep the kid out of it until they know it will be more than just a fling.

I agree with this person 100%. After dating someone for 2 years before I realized he was worth the long hall and last weekend was the first time he met my 16yr old son.
  • will010574
    Options
    Oh, and wear more dresses.
    Or skirts. I like skirts...

I like skirts too but i also like summer dresses. while we are on the topic I am also a big big fan of side boob lately!

And as always but very very important all men like sammiches!!
  • will010574
    Options

--P

:laugh: Touche.

A) your dog is blind and B) as an editor have you never heard Brevity is a virtue!!

And P that was well played !!! Kudos to you!!!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a noise?

Same thing. A man quietly mulling it over? it never happened.