Resetting Metabolism

Gizziemoto
Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
Has everyone here done a metabolism reset at one time or another during their weight loss journey?

A little background - I have severe digestive issues and have been fight the flu for two months. I wear a Body Media armband and average 1100 caloriers per day and burn average of 2200. I am currently working on trying to introduce more food back into my diet.

Thank you.

Replies

• divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    I can say yes we have. I read all the sticky pin notes and viewed the videos for the information. It is a lot of information to get through but it is so worth it. Sounds like you should visit a doctor first though if you are having troubles with the flu/digestion though. I believe it would be wise to be checked to make sure you do not have anything going on that needs to be treated before you start.

If cleared to start. Go for it. I have been eating more for 8 weeks. It is wonderful. I feel so much better. Sleep better, more energy, feel stronger. So many benefits. Take care and I hope you are feeling better soon.
  • Gizziemoto
    My doctor loves me. I am paying for a new boat! LOL

She has advised me slowly try adding foods back into my day. I have been eating real food at night only when home. I am on double dosages of priolsec for another 30 days (just finished 30 days). Trying to decide what to add. Nothing spicy allowed only bland. Currently live on string cheese, ensure, water, gatorade, rice, green tea, and belvita. Finally got to 30 minutes walking this morning. Finally showing improvements.

Will have to read and view the sticky pin notes this weekend.

thank you!
  • Gizziemoto
    bumping to see if anyone else replies.
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    Basically there are two ways of doing this, start at tdee - 15% or jump right into a reset. Some of those that start at tdee - 15% cut, end up doing a reset after about 6 weeks if they find that they are not losing any inches or weight.

If you are trying to decide on a reset, the main question to ask yourself is what is your diet history like? Were you yo-yo dieting, or eating below BMR for a while? If they answer is yes to either (or both) of those questions, then you are likely going to need a reset to get your metabolism back up to where it needs to be. If you answer no to those questions, then start at tdee - 15% and see how your body handles that. :smile:

My personal experience was to slowly up cals from a VLCD to tdee - 15%, sat there for a few weeks until I realized I wasn't losing at that cut and decided to do the reset. I'm now in my 5th week of reset and I will cut after 8 weeks.
  • Gizziemoto
    Thank you.

I will start to slowly add food back into my diet until I hit the TDEE - 15% and see how that goes.

Thinking my main goal shoudl be to start by working on getting my BMR(1649) to be my average instead of 1100. The only way I hit my goal here is by eating high calorie foods with empty calories.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Why not eat higher calorie foods that aren't empty calories?

Nuts, avocado, greek yogurt, meat, eggs etc. are all great sources of nutrients and often higher in calories.
  • Gizziemoto
    One thing at a time as the per doctor instructions. I cannot wait to stop drinking gatorade. I rather have my teas and water but need the gatorade to keep hyrdated.

I did eat my 100 calorie pack of walnuts and almonds yesterday. It was soo good but the results were not.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    oh I see...I missed that it was a doctor recommended thing. Sorry you're having digestive issues, I know how that can really put a damper on your quality of life.