I was told I was doing my LNG meals wrong

Options
My good friend who's lost 120lbs doing the Take Shape for Life version of the program and his wife were talking to me about my lean n greens, and I was told I was doing it completely wrong.

A normal LNG (for me) is approximately two cups of spinach, a 1/2 cup of mushrooms, and my lean meat (which has been 7oz of turkey lately). She said I was incorrect (should only be one cup of spinach because I'm having a veggie that's taking away another serving of the spinach, or something like that), I can't have any tomatoes, broccoli is a no-no, and definitely no to dairy. I've always been under the assumption that it was 3 servings of those veggies on the approved list.

I even showed her where, on the website, it gave options of meatless meals, like a cup and a half of cottage cheese as my lean (1% fat), and she said "NOOOOO. This is WRONG!" And don't get me started on the 5 minute rant on how the cauliflower pizza crust shouldn't be even considered on this plan, mostly because of the amount of cauliflower that it calls for (1 cup, instead of the 1/4 allowed).

My main issue is that I've followed this for 2 weeks (today is the start of week 3), and I'm down 9lbs. I'm SO happy with that! But she says that I'm doing the plan wrong. Is there a difference between the Take Shape for Life that I'm not getting, and the Medifast plan?

Replies

• marjolycookie
    marjolycookie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am doing the non-TSFL. Just regular Medifasting, if that makes a difference. I thought they were the same thing?

I eat 3 veggie servings a day, which is about 1.5-2 cup of veggies. Including tomatoes, which I love and eat literally every day. I also eat, on average, way more protein than the 5-7 oz because I like meat and cheese. Sometimes I sub out some meat for veggie burgers and count those as my "lean"... which is actually on the Medifast site. 2 veggie patties = 1 lean serving.

Anyway, I've lost weight every week for over 4 months and a total of almost 50 pounds. So it's working for me even if I'm doing it "wrong". Honestly when you're successfully keeping your body in ketosis you are going to lose weight. Focus on your carbs than whether you are eating too much spinach or whatever (I eat a whole bag of spinach ~4cup in one meal).
  • littleredjd
    Options
    I totally agree with marjoly. Your friend is doing a slightly different version than "plain ol'" Medifast 5&1.

From what you have said, it isn't like you are eating corn, peas, or carrots. If you are following your quick start guide (available online at http://www.medifastmedia.com/med/docs/quick_start_guide.pdf), you will see on pages 4-5 that YOU are right and your friend is wrong when it comes to veggies. And the cauliflower pizza? HEAVEN!! (in moderation)

I have the Medifast cookbook and it has several recipes that call for low fat/skim mozzarella AND tomatoes, so cheese and maters are TOTALLY allowed.

On the other hand, whether your lean is the correct amount or not depends on the % lean on the packaging and/or whether you are eating light or dark turkey meat. 7oz is okay for light meat or 98% lean ground turkey.

The best advice I ever received was to keep your caloric intake under 1000 and your carbs under 80 grams per day. If you are doing that, you are probably doing fine. But, remember, everyone's body is different. So if your weight loss slows at some point, you may have to re-evaluate your protein and green intake.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Whew. Thanks so much for responding. I don't know if I wasn't explaining it correctly to her verbally, or if she really is deviating from the plan to make her husband lose more weight quicker (she's not doing the diet, but the whole family is doing the same lean n green dinner).

As for the cauliflower pizza crust, I've had it twice in two weeks (just because I made two of them). I plan on doing that about once a week just to say I got my "pizza fix."

My turkey is a oven roasted breast, completely light meat. I guess I'm deviating from the plan on that aspect in the lean area because I'm doing 6oz of meat for my meals, instead of trying to remember what I can have 5oz of, 6oz of, and 7oz of. It's just easier for my scatterbrained mind to have.

I average about 800-1000 cals a day, and my carbs and protein are in the recommended areas. I tried to tell my friend that I was EXTREMELY HAPPY with a 9lb loss in two weeks, but she just kinda blew it off and said, "If you followed the diet better, you would have lost more." No, "CONGRATS!"... just the negativity.

And personally, I have the same mindset at Marjoly: As long as I'm losing weekly, even if it's a half pound, I'm happy!
  • gleahy77
    gleahy77 Posts: 38
    Options
    Where is this Medifast cookbook I keep hearing about? I am in my 4th week and a cauliflower pizza sounds wonderful! Please let me know because I have over 100lbs to lose and I don't want to get bored on this!
  • littleredjd
    Options
    The pizza is not in the cookbook but search for Sandy's Kitchen & cauliflower pizza 2, and you should find the blog that has a good recipe for it. I suggest the cauliflower 2 because it is chewier like pizza. My fiancée even likes it if I put a couple pepperoni slices on his side. I have a few salad recipes from the actual Medifast cookbook (available online? I got mine at Medifast center...), if you are interested, PM me. ~Mel
  • goldendoodle1
    goldendoodle1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing fine to me. Tomatoes and broccoli are totally on plan. Dairy is controversial, but I ate low fat cheese in moderation and was fine (lost 120lbs). If you are not paying attention to which leans are which, how are you determining your healthy fat? It is REALLY important to get your healthy fat in- keeps your gall bladder healthy!
  • newlifecowgirl
    Options
    Hmm I am doing Take Shape for Life and it sounds to me like you are doing it right. There's recipes in the TSFL cookbook that have mozzerella and tomatoes etc...I think perhaps they might be misunderstanding something?
  • SexyBoomer
    SexyBoomer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Some people are snobs about Medifast.. they must have old information or twisted it in their mind... You are doing it perfectly correctly and just don't tell them what you are eating, let them see the new melting you and you can all be happy!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    What you said sure sounded right to me. I have found a number of "Medifast" websites that have obsolete information, so I do think that there have been revisions in the program at some point. I chat up my health coach with these kinds of questions, and she's been great about addressing them. I asked her about the Medifast Cookbook, and she mailed me one - it just came today. I can hardly wait to try some of the recipes out!
  • momthenurse
    momthenurse Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You're doing awesome!
  • tgibbons1935
    tgibbons1935 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    for those that don't have it, here is the website for Sandy's Kitchen. The people at the Medifast Center gave me this website when I signed up for the program so they do endorse it. I make the meat lasagna all the time and love and it calls for tomatoes and cheese.

http://www.sandyskitchenadventures.com/p/medifast-recipes-only.html

Just do whatever works for you and don't pay attention to the negative people. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. I love the Medifast Program.

Good luck.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I am a TSFL Coach, and you are doing it just fine. Not sure why your friend said you are doing it wrong. But spinach/lettuce/romaine are 1 cup equals 1 veggie serving. so 2 cups would be 2 veggie servings, and the 1/2 cup of mushrooms is your third veggie serving. Its great that she lost all her weight and all, but I did, too, and followed the program the way it is written in the book, the QuickStart guide, which comes with every new TSFL or MEdifast order. She is welcome to contact me.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    There are actually some health coaches out there (and this pains me to say this, but it is true), who will guide their clients in a way that is outside of what is written in the program. :(
  • dugrn
    dugrn Posts: 47
    Options
    correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the only difference between TSFL and MF is with TSFL you use a coach to assist you?
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    soundss like your doing great!
  • lisa77marie
    lisa77marie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wow, I like how your friend isn't even on Medifast, but she's an "expert." You are doing fine. Stick to asking this message board rather than her from now on. :-)
  • witeowl
    Options
    Wow, I like how your friend isn't even on Medifast, but she's an "expert." You are doing fine. Stick to asking this message board rather than her from now on. :-)

Actually, Take Shape for Life (TSFL) is a version of Medifast. It's basically Medifast + coaching. Nevertheless, even to someone who's just been reading up on it (waiting for my first order to arrive) she's still clearly no expert.
  • KCDown
    KCDown Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing when I first started. Carefully measuring my LNG meals out. In reality I was not getting a full 2 or 3 cups of leafy greens veggies and I was measuring my meat before cooking and not after. It is VERY important that you get enough protein in your LNG.
  • paula_on_a_mission
    Options
    some people do better with a little extra protein its the fats and condiments that will sneak up on you and that is per paid MF NS staff. You described this person as a friend however it doesnt sound that way from the way you said she talked to you. Don't let people get you down and keep up the good work. Alot of people make up separate FB pages and emails for people who support them because it seems like everyone always has that one hater they know, saying stuff like its dangerous and if you just eat less you would lose weight--well sorry its been successful for over 30 yrs and was developed by Drs. and just eating less does not work for everyone , so do what works best for you and your body!!
  • Scubalilly
    Options
    As mentioned above - not a friend I'd want to have! How on earth can you be wrong if you're doing it off the official website? Tell her to go pound sand.