Your favorite protein powder

Options
loricolwill
loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
Ok, I know there are probably several threads on this on the main boards, but I trust you ladies and would rather get not so many opinions. So forgive the duplicity of the topic...

But what is your favorite protein powder? I am using the EAS Carb Advantage shakes which I like ok, but I know the powder would be cheaper in the long run. But I'm leery of just buying an unknown off the shelf because the containers are so big and so expensive. And I've been burned before with some nasty tasting stuff.

My personal tastes lean toward not too sweet chocolate, but might be interested in some strawberry or vanilla if they weren't too watery. I'm also looking for something not full of sugar.

And now if you aren't thinking, "yeah, good luck with that," I would love to hear your recommendations.

Replies

• seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    I use the Naturade Silver which is just sold at Sam's. It's got a fair amount of protein and not a lot of sugar. I got it for a post work out shake because of the protein AND the vitamin panel on the back because I just spent last year getting blood work every 3 months because stuff kept coming back wonky
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I LOVE 'Vega energizing smoothie choc-o-lot' flavoured protien powder. It is flavoured perfectly to my tastes with no chemical artifical crap residing within its glorious package. It is not a super high protien kind of powder, with 2 scoops (a scoop is 23.7 grams) you get 22 grams of protein.

It has 2 servings of veggies, no dairy, no gluten, 5 grams of fibre per scoop, and omega-3's. It is so tasty I just love it. The only downside is the pack is so small I wish it came in a larger container. It is around 23-18 dollars depending on where you buy for 285 grams. A serving size is one scoop but I use 2, there are 110 calories in 1 scoop of the choc-o-lot powder.

I mix mine with enough almond milk to fill a glass, one teaspoon flax, a teaspoon natural peanut butter, and a handful of strawberries.

DELISH!!! :love: :love: :smile:
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite! http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bsn/synth.html

I've also used cheap Jillian Michael's protein powder from Walmart. It's good and not as expensive.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options

I've also used cheap Jillian Michael's protein powder from Walmart. It's good and not as expensive.

As for flavors on the Syntha 6, pb chocolate is my favorite! Feels like you are drinking something bad!
  • camelid2
    camelid2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Anybody have any recommendations for one without artificial sweeteners OR stevia? They both taste terrible to me!
  • kmmealey
    kmmealey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased "Six Star Pro Nutrition" Professional Strength Muscle Building Milk Shake, Elite Series (made by Muscletech).
    It's from WalMart (big red & black container). I always mix my shakes with 4-6 oz skim milk.

The serving size is 2 scoops which = 280 cal (Carb 16g, Fat 9g, Protein 33g). I bought the Triple Chocolate Milk Shake flavor & don't find it to be too sweet. I like the chocolate flavor. I almost always make it with 1 scoop of power at a time so all of the above totals are 50% less.

It's the first protein shake I've ever purchased altho' I've tried others from friends. I think it's around $14 - $15/container.
    (14 servings of 2 scoops or 28 servings using 1 scoop). I mix it in a blender, add ice, sometimes various flavor extracts, etc.

It's the only way I've found that I can get enough protein in per day. Good luck!
  • beautybandit1
    Options
    EAS Lean in chocolate... I am really enjoying it :)
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    I use True Athlete Chocolate, it's an all natural Whey Protein w/ no artificial colors, sweeteners, etc.
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I use Six Star Professional Whey Protein Triple chocolate. and I LOVE it! Its delicious! I've only had it with milk (dinner substitute) but I have heard its good with water as well! I need to start adding things like Flax etc into my protein shakes.

forgot to add: I get it at Walmart for $19
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I use Bluebonnet Whey protein isolate. It only has Whey protein isolate and natural vanilla flavoring. I add it to my oatmeal in the morning for an extra protein boost.

I use isolate because i'm lactose intolerant, it's a little more expensive but my stomach is much happier for it :)
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I use the EAS powder (myelized, I think) that they sell in 5 lb. bags @ BJ's. I like chocolate & vanilla, but my husband thinks the chocolate is too sweet. I think it just tastes like chocolate milk, but I like sweet stuff. I haven't tried the strawberry yet, but they don't sell it @ BJ's, and I've heard it's even sweeter.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I actually like the Pure Protein frosty chocolate shake the best and I have tried a LOT of different ones. I liked the taste of Isopure but it killed my stomach. I have learned that if there is a small container, try it first because I'm not stuck with a huge container that's nasty or hurts my stomach.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Ive tried a bunch and the best so far is these guys:
    http://www.nutrition-zone.com/

Currently I have Chocolate peanut butter swirl! Its so good and mixes really well.. no clumps...
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    Anybody have any recommendations for one without artificial sweeteners OR stevia? They both taste terrible to me!

BioChem is all natural with ECJ and Stevia so it's no bad at all! I really like the Chocolate Fudge. You can find it online as well as Whole Foods or local food coops!! You can buy sample pouches to try it out too!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options

As for flavors on the Syntha 6, pb chocolate is my favorite! Feels like you are drinking something bad!

I was using Syntha 6 chocolate (found it in the pantry) until I noticed it's got quite a bit of carbs and fat in it--which isn't the end of the world, but it wasn't helping my macros-- so I switched to Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, which I like. It is artifically sweetened, but they have a Natural Gold Standard that uses powdered cane juice, and only 3 grams of sugar, and it comes in a few flavors, so that may be just the thing.
  • slammy1079
    Options
    Jay Robb Whey Protein - it's more expensive but they derive it from grass-fed, BGH-free cows, and it's the smoothest, best-tasting powder I've tried. With 25 grams of protein per scoop! I buy it from this one store that has 20% off vitamins and supplements every Thursday, so it doesn't hurt quite as bad.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    So far my favorite vanilla is this: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NWF1018/ItemDetail.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb Whey Protein - it's more expensive but they derive it from grass-fed, BGH-free cows, and it's the smoothest, best-tasting powder I've tried. With 25 grams of protein per scoop! I buy it from this one store that has 20% off vitamins and supplements every Thursday, so it doesn't hurt quite as bad.

Ok, lady! This better be some good stuff, cuz I just ordered a big bag of it! :laugh: You had me at grass-fed cows. Thank you so much for making this recommendation!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I use optimum nutrition natural - the one with the evaporated cane juice, not the stevia (I also think stevia tastes like doody). It's like 3g sugar, 5g carb, 24 protein per scoop.. so pretty damn nice.
  • momtobe06
    momtobe06 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    1 step pro wellness whey protein in triple chocolate is so good.. very small amount of real sugar, no artificial sweetners