Cutting out dairy?

Options
Hey everyone. I posted this in the regular forums but nobody replied, so I thought I'd ask your thoughts instead!

What do you all think about removing dairy products from the diet? Ever since I started EM2WL, milk, greek yogurt, cheese and butter have all been staples to my daily intake and they help me to reach my protein goals. However, I have heard accounts from other people who see improvements in the way they feel after cutting out dairy. It can also apparently reduce acne, mood swing severity, and congestion.

I am considering trying this out for myself, but before I start I need help with what to eat in place of dairy. Are there any original ways to eat beans on-the-go? Eggs for breakfast and meat for dinner seem obvious, it's lunch that I am struggling with!

Also, if anyone has noticed benefits from going lactose-free, please share! Thanks. :)

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Steam some edamame.
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    Dairy free items that contain calcium include:

White beans - so I'm thinking a white bean dip with cut up veggies or some sort of wrap with bean dip and veggies rolled up for on-the-go dishes.

Calcium-fortified OJ

Oranges

Sardines or Salmon with bones

Sweet potatoes - Make your own sweet potato fries or chips.

Broccoli and Spinach (although the bioavailability of calcium is not very high).

But you asked about protein right?

My new favorite lunch is a big plate of lettuce with some salad dressing and a can of pink salmon, tuna, chicken or some other protein cut up on top (5 or 6 oz of protein usually). I use leftover meats from dinner or canned fish most often.

Beans burritos work well and can be pre-made and frozen if you put in your lettuce/avocado on after heating. Use taco seasoning to flavor the beans, taco sauce, salsa etc in place of cheese.

I have also seen lactose-free and soy yogurts at the store recently.

Hope this helps!