when to get rid of 'fat peoples clothes'?

Options
fragilegift
fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
So, I have a pile of clothes that don't fit any more - all too big. I know I ought to get rid of them, but WHEN? tomorrow? (ok I am NOT going to put on 23 kilos on one night)...next month? 'soon'? I'm not really financial enough to get rid of every single thing that doesn't fit or fit well if I 'get fat' again. Not that I am planning on doing that, but, you know.

Except, I know I am prone to hoarding things and everything is quite likely to hang around for another 5 years...or more. If I want to get new things that fit and flatter, then I really DO need to rehome the clothes that I can't wear. I already am deluding myself by thinking I can take things in. I know I will never actually get around to doing it.

Replies

• brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I've been through this same thing a few times now. This was how I approached it....

1) pile that can be donated. things that you know look rediculously silly and you probably dont ever want to be seen in again. Donate to charity!

2) pile of clothes that you LOVE. Hold onto them for a while. Consider altering them, but if after a few weeks, move them to pile 1 or 3.

3) things that are worth $ or are in such good condition, photograph and sell on ebay. Its a hassle initially, but when you start seeing the cash come in - it just means you can go buy some new clothes!

4) hold onto some clothes that you still want to keep.... BUT - consider that wearing huge and unflattering clothes does affect your self esteem. I feel foolish out in my old clothes, and it doesnt matter how much I convince myself it looks OK - as soon as I leave the house I immediately regret wearing them. The day that happens with each item it moves to pile 1, 2 or 3! Keep doing so until pile 4 is exhausted!
  • fragilegift
    Options
    4) hold onto some clothes that you still want to keep.... BUT - consider that wearing huge and unflattering clothes does affect your self esteem. I feel foolish out in my old clothes, and it doesnt matter how much I convince myself it looks OK - as soon as I leave the house I immediately regret wearing them. The day that happens with each item it moves to pile 1, 2 or 3! Keep doing so until pile 4 is exhausted!

excellent advice all round, but this one was interesting. My sister was visiting, and we went to the op shop. While there she was trying to convince me that buying clothes that were too big would make me look all 'waif like.' I had a hard time not informing her that I haven't come this far to look like a vagrant! O.o
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Anything that is ridiculously too big, get rid of immediate.. You will feel awesome, I did that and it was a huge boost. I also recently invested in belts for the first time ever to wear the things that I still love for awhile longer
  • hanga10
    hanga10 Posts: 25
    Options
    When the wife gets sick of making adjustments to them don"t want to buy new one"s just yet as i wish to lose more weight ..
  • MyNewZen
    MyNewZen Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Go buy a whole new wardrobe and throw out/donate the old ones! It’s expensive but worth it.

Having dropped 30kg so far this year the change was pretty dramatic... then I went and got new clothes and it blew people away! If you have put all that work into your body you have to frame it right!

Also I don’t want to keep any "just in case I get fat again clothes"… I’m not getting fat again! Ever!
  • JWmovin4ward
    JWmovin4ward Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Depending on how many items you have, maybe you could have a good old fashioned garage sale (if you don't want to use ebay) & anything that doesn't sell, take straight to the op shop.

Once something is hanging off me, I wash it & bag it! Ready for the donation or resale...

Some items are hard to let go of but lets face it, if we don't have the "big' clothes lying around its more incentive to not go back there...
  • tothf88
    tothf88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found the best thing is to get rid of anything that is getting biggish straight away!!!
    And then replace it with another item that fits you better - I find that it helps me keep my weight off since I have nothing else that I can "hide" in!!
    Best thing for portion control at times when you are out - you will find that you can't physically eat too much otherwise the clothes feel tight!!

BTW I recommend donating all of those clothes!!!
  • fragilegift
    Options
    I think I will have a dedicated 'clothes trying on' day, when its nice and sunny so there are no artificial lights, and have a good old look at how EVERYTHING fits *now.* None of this trying things on and thinking I look swish with 10 inches of extra fabric. I might not have much left at the end of it all though :noway:
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I had a cleanout of clothes just yesterday and got rid of anything that was too big and looked ridiculous, and clothes that made me feel anything but fantastic. No frumpiness any more!
    I saw it as a chance to make the change once and for all. Now that I've lost most of my weight in a way that I can see myself sustaining for life, I have no doubt that I'll never need them again.
  • Flutterby1976
    Options
    The best thing about having lost the excess weight is that you look better in a tshirt and shorts now then you ever did in your favourite $400 dress even when you were dolled up. Shopping for new clothes is so much more fun and you need the room in your cupboards .... so aside from hanging on to one 'fat' outfit so you can remember where you came from ... get rid of it all! I donated most to charity, but took some of my better quality clothes to a friend with similar taste to me and she's now all inspired to get them too small for her too...

But I do agree with Brooke on her 4 points... if you're struggling to part with clothes do it in stages. But know that if you don't have them at home you wont be ever tempted to gain the weight back because once your trousers start feeling tight you pull the reigns in rather than remember that lovely pair of size 16s that you thought made you look skinner than you were but didn't really!
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I chucked a heap of stuff because when I hadn't done that previously and my weight started creeping up, I just started to wear the bigger stuff again without really noticing how much weight I'd put on. Eventually I was bigger than ever. Now I've gotten rid of everything that is above the next size up from where I am. That gives me a bit of room when I'm naughty, but I can't go too far.

I have managed to put on 10kg in the last year and my current size was a bit tight but I could still squeeze into it. I started dealing with it and I'm about halfway back to where I want to be. I think if I'd let myself keep my "fat" clothes, I might have allowed it to go further. I don't ever want to go back there and I am not going to let myself again.
  • amethysts269
    amethysts269 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I hung to my fat clothes for years for just in case and 9 times out of 10 the just in case came around... Not anymore, once my clothes get to the point of falling down or hanging off me, I get rid of them... I just cleaned out my wardrobe and donated several pairs of jeans and shorts (all of which were so baggy and needed a belt to keep them up), also got rid of a heap of shirts that looked like sacks.

Every now and again I go to the op shops and ocassionally pick up a bargain, much easier as the weight is coming off, you don't have to spend a fortune to look and feel good and keeping old, baggy clothing can make you look bigger and unflattering.