Might be a silly question but..

Is the "cut" value a net amount? Meaning do it eat back exercise calories? Sorry if this was already covered somewhere.

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Hi!

The cut value is the amount you will eat every day no matter if you do exercise or not. It already includes your exersice cals. You only eat back, if you have very high burns and you net lower than your BMR.
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Hi!

The cut value is the amount you will eat every day no matter if you do exercise or not. It already includes your exersice cals. You only eat back, if you have very high burns and you net lower than your BMR.

So to clarify, I want to MAKE SURE I get this right.

My tdee -20% cut is 2340; I usually burn approx 520-550 a day putting me at a net of 1790-1820; so if my BMR is 1879, I DO NOT need to eat all the calories back? Just enough to get above my BMR?

I had a friend set me at a goal of 1900 base comsumed calories, working out to burn off those 520-550 that I normally do daily, but eating all the exercise calories back to net above my BMR (which there are days I'm consuming 2200-2400 a day depending on the burn). This is what I am currently doing now.

Which way is the CORRECT and PROPER way?

I was on a LCD for a while (didn't realize it honestly) so the last two weeks I have been upping the calories and have actually gained (Still waiting on the body to trust me that I won't starve it again) so I'm not worried about that. I just don't want to keep going in the wrong direction.
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Right. You only need to eat back enough to NET your BMR. How long were you on a VLCD? I completely understand what you mean about not even realizing it. I ate at about 800 cals a day while I was teaching (before MFP) and didn't even realize it. I thought I was being healthy! Have you considered doing a reset?
  • shae68143
    Right. You only need to eat back enough to NET your BMR. How long were you on a VLCD? I completely understand what you mean about not even realizing it. I ate at about 800 cals a day while I was teaching (before MFP) and didn't even realize it. I thought I was being healthy! Have you considered doing a reset?

Not very long, probably only 2-3 weeks; maybe a month at most. I was netting around 1100 on a good day, but most days netting around 900-1000. Once I found out, I immediately increased (2 weeks ago) the calories.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member
    How much do you have to lose? We usually recommend only a cut of 15% unless you have quite a bit of weight to lose and somewhere closer to 10% if you are closer to goal...Just curious...And also do you have your activity set to the correct amount...Many people put themselves at a lower activity level for fear of eating too much....And based on you netting under or just a little above BMR after your workouts it sounds like you may be one step below what you are truly at for your activity level....I hope this helps...

IMO...I think that you should go to a cut of 15% b/c this may help your NET stay at least above your BMR...Also, I tell everyone this (including myself) Make sure to be consistent with eating your cut amount every day even on rest days...This is very important for this process to work efficiently...
  • shae68143
    How much do you have to lose? We usually recommend only a cut of 15% unless you have quite a bit of weight to lose and somewhere closer to 10% if you are closer to goal...Just curious...And also do you have your activity set to the correct amount...Many people put themselves at a lower activity level for fear of eating too much....And based on you netting under or just a little above BMR after your workouts it sounds like you may be one step below what you are truly at for your activity level....I hope this helps...

IMO...I think that you should go to a cut of 15% b/c this may help your NET stay at least above your BMR...Also, I tell everyone this (including myself) Make sure to be consistent with eating your cut amount every day even on rest days...This is very important for this process to work efficiently...

Here are my stats (I set the #'s according to Scooby)
    Ht: 5'4
    SW: 260 originally
    SW with MFP: 250
    CW 248
    GW 150-160 (so yes quite a bit to lose)

Cardio on treadmill for 40 minutes M-F
    Tu and Thur (sometimes Wed too) I do a workout video that combines Cardio and Strength training (Usually Bob Harpers videos)

I have no problem getting to the 2330 in one form or another (either eating it straight out and only eating back the partial calories if I go below the 1879 or setting the goal at 1900 and eating back ALL the work out calories = both put me right about 2300-2400 daily). I just wanted to clarify that what I am doing is correct (by either means of doing it) or not.

Also, I have lerned I never NET below the BMR in either form of getting my calories stated above. I will add SOMETHING else in during my day if after logging I am getting too close to it. That's why my friend set my goal at 1900 and eating back all the workout calories to ensure I don't go below (Does this make sense?) my BMR, ever.

I also wear an HRM (FT7 by Polar) to ensure my caloric burn during my workouts. :)
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member
    Yes, to me it sounds like doing it your way with the 1900 and eating back exercise calories is a good way to do it....Some people just like knowing to eat a certain number each day and that's it but if you are more comfortable doing it the way you are then I see no problem with it...It's the same as eating at your CUT b/c you are still eating the 2300cals/day...The only thing is that with this process even on your rest days you should eat the 2300cals/day as well...Even without exercising...This is the only difference that I see...So, keep doing what you are doing but just remember to eat 2300 every day!! Consistency is KEY... :)