question on the deadlift

Options
cushygal
cushygal Posts: 586 Member
Hello,

For deadlifts - my gym doesn't have a squat machine, so I either use the smith machine or a FreeMotion Lift machine, as seen below:

https://www.freemotionfitness.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10002&langId=-1&productId=136773&storeId=10001&krypto=BQkyzV9qandc8HFGjdxu2VRJPkx2lNVfhwAVW8pYEn31fbW/eD7cBaDbgSxdGLOY

I find I can lift more with the Lift machine - I can lift 60 pounds on the smith machine and 100 pounds with the Lift machine.

Do you all think its OK to use the Lift machine?

Thanks

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have barbells? I would stay away from the machines. If your gym have a barbell , just take that and do your deadlifts anywhere there is a space for them. You don't need squat rack or power rack for deadlifts.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have barbells? I would stay away from the machines. If your gym have a barbell , just take that and do your deadlifts anywhere there is a space for them. You don't need squat rack or power rack for deadlifts.

I agree! I just use the Olympic barbell off the rack.
  • cushygal
    Options
    Ok, I will try the deadlift without the machine but I have to say that I like the idea of the machine for stability and form.

I have lower back issues and I like the support of the machine rather than trying to lift a bar with 80 pounds on it.

Thanks
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Start out with just the bar.You will not be able to lift the same weight with the bar as with the smith or free motion machines. When using free weights-barbell, dumbells, kettle bells, you body is moving the way your body is suppose to move, not like the machines tells you to move. Plus, with free weights you get to use a lot more muscles and engage muscles you usually don't when you using the machines. Start with low weight and work on form, when you get the form down , up the weight on the bar. If going all the way down with the bar gives your back issues, see if you can use trap bar/hex bar. Even though there is not sub for the deadlift, the trap bar will not go all the way down and it will not load the back so much.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you dont need a squat rack for a deadlift.

if the weight gets to be too much just drop it. i've done it and it's no big deal (actually it's kinda fun to make all that noise)

the exercise isnt really meant to matter how you lower it (it's called the deadLIFT after all). also you're supposed to set the weight on the ground anyway between reps . this will also help as you start working closer to your 1 rep max weight since you'll be needing to reset your hands and your grip after each rep.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Ok, I will try the deadlift without the machine but I have to say that I like the idea of the machine for stability and form.

I have lower back issues and I like the support of the machine rather than trying to lift a bar with 80 pounds on it.

Thanks

just make sure you're using correct form and your back should be fine. you are lifting with your legs and hips more so than with with your back
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    But a deadlift is pulling up from the floor. Why do you need to use the squat rack or machine? Load an olympic barbell with whatever weight you are going to use. Am I missing something here?

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-deadlift-with-proper-technique/
  • cushygal
    Options
    Ok - last night at the gym I loaded a straight bar with 50 pounds to start my deadlifts and it was super easy, so I put another 20 pounds on there and that was very doable(will add more next time). I don't know why I wasn't using the bar before aside from following the advise of a trainer. Thanks all

edited for spelling
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Ok - last night at the gym I loaded a straight bar with 50 pounds to start my deadlifts and it was super easy, so I put another 20 pounds on there and that was very doable(will add more next time). I don't know why I wasn't using the bar before aside from following the advise of a trainer. Thanks all

edited for spelling

I think you add the weight of the bar in too. If it's an Olympic bar I've heard they weight 45 pounds. The bar I use at home weighs 10/
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Thanks

The stability the machine provides strips the lift from much of its benefit. Balancing yourself with the weight is major (if you have a hard time, unload).
  • cushygal
    Options
    Hi Sue,

I think this bar is only 10 pounds as well - it certainly didn't feel like it weighed 45 pounds.