Ideas for helping you resist those drinks

Options
MadeOfMagic
MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
Anyone have some idea's on how to resist drinking alcohol, maybe things that helped you or anyone you know? Feel free to share here :)
I have good tip for those trying to cut down, drink a glass of water between every drink, it totally slows down how fast you drink cause it feels you up too :)

Replies

• getsixpack
    getsixpack Posts: 49
    Options
    Running worked for me but honestly the best way is just not to have any alcohol in the house.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    That is true, having none around is the best! My only problem is I have to convice my bf not to listen to me when I ask him to get beer >.<
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I just read a post about binging (food) and strategies for avoiding the binge.

The strategy was simple but not easy.

Before you start to consume to excess, take a few minutes to ask yourself "What am I feeling? What feeling is it thatI am having that I want to supress or bury with (food/booze/drugs/sex/gambling/etc). If I can deal with the emotion and sort it out (slowly over time) then the need to bury it will fade, and I should want to binge less.

Any kind of binge is an escape mechanism from something we don't want to deal with. I believe this. A few minutes trying to define the emotion I am attempting to avoid is the short-term tool to long-term solution. In theory, anyway.

Now that I've posted this I have to live it or drink over how I am a hypocrite nad can't stand myself.:drinker: :tongue:
  • getsixpack
    getsixpack Posts: 49
    Options
    Yeah but then it still sucks if you're not some Zen master who can totally control your emotions.
    I just read a post about binging (food) and strategies for avoiding the binge.

The strategy was simple but not easy.

Before you start to consume to excess, take a few minutes to ask yourself "What am I feeling? What feeling is it thatI am having that I want to supress or bury with (food/booze/drugs/sex/gambling/etc). If I can deal with the emotion and sort it out (slowly over time) then the need to bury it will fade, and I should want to binge less.

Any kind of binge is an escape mechanism from something we don't want to deal with. I believe this. A few minutes trying to define the emotion I am attempting to avoid is the short-term tool to long-term solution. In theory, anyway.

Now that I've posted this I have to live it or drink over how I am a hypocrite nad can't stand myself.:drinker: :tongue:
  • meljoemom
    meljoemom Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My mom lost a ton of weight over the past couple years. All she did was take a daily walk and stop drinking at 8 PM religiously.
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Today is the "company picnic" and beer is officially discouraged, but allowed if you are discreet. I had packed a few 22 oz bottles of La Gunitas WTF in my cooler, then took them out. Not today. Didn't drink yesterday. Today I will drink club soda and lime. Feels like beer going down and the belch is just as satisfying.
  • bserwack
    bserwack Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I really like the idea of not having a drink past a certain time! I am able to stop eatting after 8, so I should say no drinks past 8 too.