have you read the book

Options
Silvergrizz
Silvergrizz Posts: 37 Member
I started on this diet just over 3 months ago based on a reccomendation by my pharmacist. I have tried to follow it as best as I could. I am a 63 three old shift worker who has managed to loose 30 lbs by following this book combined with other research. i monitor www.mercola.com for a lot of info, track my daily intake here for progress. All info needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I value this site for record keeping, but you need to be aware not all the info is valid. Some of the calorie count is way off. I use other programs to track calorie intake. I use a polar monitor to track calorie burn during exercise. I use other sites for wheat free recipies. I do not try for Gluten free, just wheat free. I plan to post recipies that are wheat free, that have helped me to loose 30 lbs over the past 3 months. I have been a shift worker all my career, which adds to the dynamic of trying to eat regular. If you are the same,I hope we can share this knowledge and help each other. I hope share my philosphy to loose weight which I feel is basically mind over matter. This only works if your immediate friends and family are on board with your goals, if not, you will be fighting an uphill battle. If you have read the book, and developed your recipies that have worked for you, please share them here, as I will share mine.. I have a few vises, that you will see when I share my daily logs. I found very little info on the wheat free diet 3 months ago, and basically did my own thing. If you are trying to follw this regime, I will share what I have learned on my Journey. I started this to get off several drugs I was prescribed for IBS and high cholesterol. After 3 months, I am off the IBS drug and convinced my doctor to reduce my cholesterol medication by 50%. My goal is to off cholesterol medicaton entirely.

Replies

• Silvergrizz
    Options
    I am new at this stuff, so I hope I am doing this right. Unless I am starting on a day shift, I start my day with 1 hour of exercise. Initially I would walk the dogs for and an hour or so, but that was highly dependant on the weather. Then my wife dug out our eliptical trainer our of storage in the basement and started to use it. I started with 30 minutes a day and worked up to 2 30 minute sessions a day before combining both into a 1 hour session. I also use a Polar heart monitor to determine my calorie burn and also to ensure I stay in the proper heart rate zone. I have a tendency to overshoot my target zone if I am not watching. The polar monitor calculates calorie burn based on my age and gender and average heart rate. No it varies greatly from day to day, anywheres from 425 to 625 calories per day. If I just punch in 1 hour in the Myfitnesspal program I get a constant 683 calories burnt. I don't think I have ever hit that target. If I take an average of my results, then the program is constantly about 25% over my actual calorie burn. That is why I said take the results with a grain of salt.

Breakfast normally consists of either Stone ground wheat free oatmeal (Red Mill) with about 3/4 cup of fresh or frozen fruit or 3 OZ ham fried in a tiny bit of coconut oil and two farm fresh eggs overeasy cooked in coconut oil. I used to have fresh juice every morning with breakfast, but gave it up as too high a calorie count. The oatmeal is great for reducing my cholesterol.

Today will be brunch, as I slept in. It will be 8 oz baby spinach wilted in 1 tsp of coconut oil and 1 tbls of chopped garlic, topped with 1 diced tomato and 1/2 avocado, drizzled with 1 Tbls of Balsamic Vinegar. I like to add 1 oz of crumbled Feta cheese, but I am out of it this morning.

I use a program called Accu Chef to log my recipies, as it allows me to anylize where the calories are coming from, then modify ingredients to reduce overall calories.

I will start posting some of my favorite recipes, wheat free, that have helped me on my journey.
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    Hi I'm in the process of reading the book now and will probably start the wheat free process very soon. I have had problems with wheat for a while (digestion problems, the fat belly, sore joints, athletes foot, depression, headaches) and try to be wheat free but it always manages to edge its way back in. I need to be more serious and strict about it, I did manage that for 6 months and felt so much better!

I look forward to sharing ideas and recipes :smile:
  • dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi Silvergrizz I'm reading this book after my sister was diagnosed with celiac's disease. We have a long history of autoimmune diseases in our family.. Mostly thyroid and connective tissue disorders. She was originally diagnosed with fibromyalgia; but, a savy endocrinologist didn't stick to the traditional signs of celiac's. We don't loose weight.. We gain and have joint pain etc. I was going to start my own group till I found this one. Support for this is needed... It's expensive and hard to stay away from gluten etc.
  • dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Me too!!! Same symtoms plus maybe some GERD and poor clarity of thinking
  • Smile2400
    Smile2400 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Read the book it's my lifestyle Bible. Has changed my life totally.
  • lindamarieevans
    lindamarieevans Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I read the book a month ago and I did we'll the first two weeks and than gave myself a cheat day...wrong thinking!!! Just getting back on the wagon so here I go again! Does anyone have some good dinner recipes that the whole family would enjoy?
  • Zeberced
    Zeberced Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I read the book and I have been wheat free for almost 2 months with the result of 13 lbs weight loss, clearer thinking, no migraines and no energy dips in the afternoon. Pain in my knees are gone too:) I did indulge sometimes and I paid with headaches and moodiness. I am very happy to find this group. I hope that we motivate each other in living healthier lives.
  • itsmeveve
    Options
    I tried reading the book, lots of it is to technical to me! I can say I skimmed a lot of it. I have never been much of a reader, but I think I got the idea. Last September I had worse than normal for me digestive issues. I got on Google to try and figure out my problem. I had seen that some digestive issues were due to wheat allergies. About a year ago I had an allergy test and wheat was on my list but it was <.05. My Dr had told me to pay attention to the larger numbers. Since it was on my list and I was having these digestive issues I decided to give up wheat for a month to see what wheat does to me and if my digestive issues would improve.

In my search of what I could eat for my month of wheat free I ran into the Wheat Belly book. I bought the book to have food I could eat with the recipes in the back. In my month of wheat free I lost 15 lbs. My digestive issues have not gone completely, but I felt much better in places I didn't know had problems. My head was foggy before and I was bloated feeling, now my head is clearer and I feel less bloated. I liked the way I felt and decided this is going to be how I am living my life.

I don't own a scale, today I went to Publix and got on the scale I always use and I have now lost 17 lbs since I went wheat free. Weight loss was not my goal with being wheat free. I just got the Wheat Belly cookbook the other day.

Now my problem is that I run out of money at the end of the month to stay completely wheat free. I hope to tweek my food money to work full time at being wheat free.
  • itsmeveve
    Options
    If you are gaining weight look at the things you are eating to see if they have extra sugar hiding in there. I was told the possessed foods marked Gluten Free have added extra sugar. Just a suggestion.
  • bobbiegirlnc
    Options
    I read the book and purchased the cookbook. I just started the wheat free lifestyle on January 1st. I didn't do so well on the 1 - 3rd because my work schedule and not properly prepared. I have done better since Friday, I even successfully went out to eat last night and did not touch the bread and had a great dinner. I really wasn't even tempted by the bruschetta appetizer. I think the cookbook repeats a lot of what is in the original book and doesn't have very many pictures of the recipes. I would love any feedback from others and certainly tips on how your day goes. I don't know if I have lost any weight yet. I plan on weighing myself weekly. Hopefully this will work.
  • itsmeveve
    Options
    I did lots of stumbling at first just running into wheat in places I didn't expect, and like you said I wasn't prepared well. Don't beat yourself up, its a learning curve I feel. I do think I am getting better as time goes by. Congrats on going out and staying wheat free!
  • nomoremuffintop42
    nomoremuffintop42 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i haven't read the book yet but have cut wheat out of my diet-I was already following a low carb diet. Plan to pick up the book next week. I am a slow reader maybe i should get it on mp3 lol...
  • Giggles40
    Giggles40 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm reading the book and I plan on getting the cookbook. I've been doing low carb for awhile bu I think this is so much better.
  • Giggles40
    Giggles40 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ok I finished the book and I found it truly fascinating. Ii'm going to give it another read because I know I will benefit from it and so will my family with their own health problems.
    I also purchased the cookbook and so far everything I've tried was delicious.

Let's get this group active and post often.
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    On the recommendation of somebody had the book and the recipe book I was told just get the recipe book..that the theory is in there without the science and that the recipes would be helpful so that is what I did.

I started 9 days ago giving it a 40 day trial. I recorded some odd things that I thought might be wheat or diet related...for example when I would go from sitting to a standing position my right knew was too weak to bear my weight without pain.

I also recorded exzema, dry scalp and skin, some water retention, moodiness, cravings etc.

I noticed on day 7 that I hadn't really been aware of the knee thing all of a sudden...and after a day of actually paying attention I can say that the weakness in my right knee is 98% gone...

Coincidence..possible but it's been there at least 3 or 4 months and suddenly gone after just over a week....worth carrying on for the entire 40 days...

Cravings are almost 100% gone as well. It is PMS time and have to say, it's been fairly free of the carb cravings that I normally have.

I have lost as of Thursday 3.4lbs in 2 weeks, 1 day.
  • ShannonB_73
    ShannonB_73 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I read the book last week (skimmed through the middle third after getting the general idea), and I'm on Day 3 of being wheat free. I discovered a blog called "120 Days of Wheat Belly" - the couple basically tries a new recipe from the cook book every day and reports on how they liked it. Worth the visit!
  • elisabethsilva
    Options
    I read the book over Christmas. It made sense, so I jumped on board. I've got to say - a lot of my problems with bloating, arthritis and joint swelling went away promptly! I lost 15 pounds in the first month and a half. But 5 pounds went back on & won't come off. I'm wondering if there is a secondary issue with thyroid or something. It also might be because I discovered we can still have healthy bread, cheesecake, cupcakes.... I might not be paying enough attention to the overall calorie count (although Dr. Davis said we didn't have to worry about that) and I've GOT to exercise more! ;->

I like most of the recipes in the Wheat Belly Cookbook. I've also found several websites that cater to cooking with coconut & almond flour. Check out www.elanaspantry.com; www.againstallgrain.com and www.riddlelove.com My all time favorite is www.gourmetgirlcooks.com She is hardcore Wheat Belly & a very good cook! I'm not affiliated with any of these, I just like 'em. They are all wheat & grain free. Most use alternative sugars such as the dreaded agave, but we can work around that with a little honey, coconut nectar or other substitute. If you don't like stevia, can't tolerate xylotol, & don't want to go the artificial Splenda route, try Swerve sweetener. It is available on Amazon. It is expensive, but (for me) soooo worth it! Again - no affiliation, just sharing what I've found on this new adventure.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hi. I finished reading the book a few days ago and then had to seriously consider if I could do this. After all, I still have kids at home and could I really "deprive" them of macn cheese?! LOL! Of course I realized that if a wheat free diet is a healthy option for me, it should be for them too, right? SO here I am. Day one has passed. I did pretty well, although I did eat a yogurt with modified food starch, and pan turkey made with food starch as well.
    I am a diabetic so I have to avoid corn and potatoes, rice, and other flours, so it will be harder for me than for the kids (who can still have tacos and chili). Recently my doctor took me off the glipizide I had been taking since I was diagnosed in September 2012. My A1c had dropped from 13 to 4.9. However, since then my fasting BG has been in the 130-150 range. Yet, today, just one day into this, my BG dropped from 143 this am to 111 after dinner tonight! I hope this is a good sign that I should continue this.
    ANyway, here I am. Ready to take this journey and relying on your expertise and tips to get me through the bad days. (are there bad days?)
  • Silvergrizz
    Options
    Been a while since I checked this and pleasantly surprised to see the interest. I am a firm proponate of the Wheat free diet. I have regressed a few times, allways felt lousy afterwards and immediately got back on track. I actually overshot my weight loss to the point I was starting to loose muscle mass, but I subsequently changed my exercise routine to include muscle building and have recovered to an acceptable and comfortable weight. I still track my intake every day using the program, but I use my iphone the majority of the time and cannot see this forum, unless I missed someting along the way. As others have mentioned, there are some great sites appearing with recipes, but I will endeavour to post what has worked for me. A lot of my recipes have developed into Gluten Free, but that was due more to available resources than design. I did manage to finally convince my doctor to take me off the lipiptor as a result of positive blood work results that I attribute to following this diet and exercise. So I now am off all prescription drugs and feel much better overall as a result.