Weight wont budge!?

Hey there everyone, I've ran into kind of an issue with my weight.
I started back in February going paleo, I started at 331lb and eventually dropped down to 276, I've recently changed back to a zone diet of 40% carb, 30%fat/protein.
Now, I plateaued at 282 and found myself joining a group on myfitnesspal called "eat more to lose more". Before that I was eating around 1500-1800 cals a day. After joining the group, I upped my cals to around 2500-3000 cals.
I broke my plateau of 282 after about a week of eating more, but I got really tired of the paleo lifestyle and all the meat, it really got to me. So about 3-4 weeks ago I changed back to the zone diet as stated above.
Now, ever since changing back, I havent lost a single pound, ive actually bumped back up to 280 and seem to be fluttering around there.
I ALSO recently got a Bodymedia fit to really see what im burning and on normal days with no real activity my total is 3600 cals burned (TDEE) and on workout days Its usually around 4200, just recently i was doing yard renos and had a burn day of 5300 cals (TDEE)

So, depending if im going for walk/renos or w/e should I take that days estimated TDEE and cut back 15-20% as recommended? Am i eating too little on my workout/reno days of 4200 cals?

I usually go for 30-45 min walk and for the last 2 weeks have been doing my yard renos thats why some of my burns have been so high, is even 3000 cals a day when burning 4200+ too little?
Ive noticed my arms/shoulders have gotten stronger from all the digging(had to dig up my whole 20x20 yard) would muscle gain in my arms and what not be the cause of the increase in weight?
But I should of started loosing by now right?

Anyways im so lost and would love to just lose weight again, any help is GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you.

p.s my stats are: 6'1", Male, 21, 280lb now. Im a fulltime college student so im at a desk for the majority of the day and do my own walking/workouts, recently has been 5+ hours a week

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    So your Bodymedia Fit... can you track for, say, 2 straight weeks (more is better) how many calories it says you burn... then you would average them to get your average TDEE...

For now, what you can do, is aim to eat 20% under your actual TDEE each day... so try and ballpark it. Your calories eaten will vary daily along with your calories burned. But over the course of 2 weeks to a month or more, you'll be able to look at all your averages - average TDEE and average intake and see what the scale did (and the tape measure). Then you can adjust.

As a side note, my husband is the same height and weight as you but twice your age and does a moderate level of activity (an hour of walking daily) and his trainer-prescribed program includes burning 3400 daily and eating 2600 daily. I suspect you need more food with the activity you do at your size - if you do the averages over a few weeks you'll probably find a 20% cut still brings you over 3000 daily.