Want to start lifting heavy but on a budget - tips?

rr85114
rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
Hi all,

So I've been doing some moderate strength training (mainly calisthenics, so squats, lunges, and upper body work with 2 x 2.5lb hand weights), but I know that to really see a change in my body composition, I need to start lifting heavy.

I'm 5'9", 77.8kg, and in theory I'm about 5kg away from my "goal weight", but my real goal is to reshape and firm certain parts of my body - in particular, lose the extra cushioning on the thighs and booty, tone up my stomach (which is actually starting to look moderately acceptable!) and get a bit more gentle definition in my shoulders/arms.

I'm halfway through week 2 of eating more to lose weight, and am loving it. At the moment I exercise 5 - 6 days a week, all of which include a 20-minute 30DS segment, followed by a 20minute high intensity run on the treadmill 2 -3 times a week.

One thing I've absorbed from the message boards is that once you start lifting HEAVY you really start to see changes. My issue is this - I'm on a very tight budget so a gym membership is off the cards. I've even investigated cheaper options but they're all really pricey, so I've got to stick to working out at home or in the gym at the bottom of my building (which only has cardio equipment).

Is there any way to get around this and find a way to lift heavy? I don't want to stall my progress simply because I don't have the financial means!

Replies

• terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Craigslist! I got a set of dumbells with free shipping from Amazon. The plates are interchangeable so i bought a barbell to use them on too. A weight bench from craigslist and my mini weight room was ready to roll. NROLFW has been my guide of choice and the nutritional guide meshes extremely well with the EM2WL philosophy. Hubby bought a Bowflex on craigslist too . . . but the barbell/dumbell combo worked fine for me. Just be smart with the craigslist stuff, don't go alone, get to know the person and the area before scheduling a meet up, and trust your gut instinct.

(In case you haven't seen it before, NROLFW is New Rules of Lifting For Women)
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Definitely craigslist! Also, check to see if you have any overstock fitness equipment stores in your area. That's how I got 2 15-lb variable-weight (or whatever the official term is, ha) dumbbell sets for $30. 60 lbs total (including the dumbbell itself that the weights slide on) for $30? Sold! I work out at home, too, and just use the dumbbells and an exercise ball as my 'bench' - it works, and it engages my core too. For step-ups, I use the stairs in my house. I need to find a local park so I can try doing pull-ups on the monkey bars!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    I use this program and it works great for me:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html?page=2

I bought a set of weights at 20lbs from Walmart that uses plates ($20). I believe the Gold Gym brand. They got decent reviews and I figured I would use them as a starter set and go from there. 20lb wasn't enough for some of the moves so I bought 4 5lb plates at under $5 a piece. I don't have a pull up bar yet so in the mean time I bought extra heavy resistance band($15) and throw that around my sliding glass door handle and use that for now. We are renting right now while we are working towards moving to the South in a month or so which means I can't install anything. I have seen the pull up bars that don't require installation but in this house there isn't really a good spot to put one.

I bought things little by little and I do want 10lb plates but since we will be moving soon I wonder if I should wait. They are more expensive so I may buy 2 now, 2 later. I can't just go out and buy things like I used too either! :grumble: But its also amazing how if I am determined enough, I will find the money! I was just doing renegade rows in place of the pull up bar but I just don't love those and finally said screw it, I'll spend even less on groceries this week!

I tried Craigslist but wasn't seeing anything and got impatient. Oh and for a step I was using my staircase but now I use my stepstool and for a bench I have a decorative padded bench that works. Maybe you could line up some kitchen table chairs at least in a way where they support your head and back, your feet on the floor until you find a work out bench.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 575 Member
    I'm piecing together a set, too...lol. I had a 50 pound dumbbell set that I had to blow the dust off of, and my husband had 35 lbs of weights laying around. I bought a barbell and a stability ball. I'm going to need more weights quickly for ease of not having to switch out during workouts, but it's enough to get started with. I have my dumbbells set with 20 lb. each for shoulder presses and my barbell with 35 for deadlifts, squats, and bent over rows. I also have a pair of 8 lb. dumbbells that I used for lunges. I hate lunges. A lot.

I use a milk crate for step ups and my coffee table for a bench...lol.
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 344 Member
    i got a step, bar & 25lbs worth of plates, and 2 adjustable 25lbs dumbbells from WALMART, lol that weren't too expensive (some were bday gifts so i dont know how much exactly.

and im doing Cathe Fredrich's Muscle Max video at home

GL
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    AWESOME THREAD!!! Thank you, OP! I'm in the same boat, no where near enough money for a gym so ok piecing together a home gym little by little. Everything I have so far, neoprene sets of 5 & 10 lb weights, Gold's Gym 40 lb interchangeable barbell set, set of 5 lb and 10 lb adjustable ankle weights, came from Walmart. A friend shipped me a yoga mat and stability ball as a gift and I'm scouring craigslist looking for a used weight bench + weights. Lifting is THE way to go if you want to overhaul the actual shape of your body, no question. Lifting had done amazing things for me already and I'm not even lifting heavy yet. :)
  • rr85114
    rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
    Awesome tips! Thank you all for responding! :)